Next Thread
Print Thread
C
cronuss Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
It seems that if you select a race that starts with medium or heavy armor proficiency, you can actually wear chain, plate, etc, as a level 1 Wizard/Warlock/etc. Likewise, you could also theoretically pick up the armor proficiencies during feats every 4 levels (right?)

Are there any drawbacks or penalties to casting spells or wearing heavy armor as a wizard? In my initial testing it does not appear to be. That seems to make playing something like a Githyanki or Dwarf a huge advantage, as your INT can still get almost as high but you can walk around like a tank. In fact, could you use a shield as well?

apprentice
apprentice
When my Human Wizard wears HeavyArmor he can use only scroll
And he also can't gain HeavyArmor Proficiency feat wich is required Medium ArmourProficiency wich I cant get too ).
Don't know about other races

Last edited by Shurik; 12/10/20 02:32 PM.
C
cronuss Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
[quote=Shurik]When my Human Wizard wears HeavyArmor he can use only scroll
And he also can't gain HeavyArmor Proficiency feat wich is required Medium ArmourProficiency wich I cant get too ).
Don't know about other races[/quote]

Maybe it is because you didn't have proficiency in it?
Maybe heavy armor doesn't allow spellcasting? I know I tried it with a Githyanki in medium armor (I stole Lae-Zel's amor) and I was able to cast spells using her armor and longsword.

As for getting to heavy proficiency, you just need to start as a race that has at least medium armor prof, then at level 4 you can select heavy, right?

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by cronuss

Maybe heavy armor doesn't allow spellcasting? I know I tried it with a Githyanki in medium armor (I stole Lae-Zel's amor) and I was able to cast spells using her armor and longsword.

As for getting to heavy proficiency, you just need to start as a race that has at least medium armor prof, then at level 4 you can select heavy, right?

I think not Heavy armor by itself. It is proficiency you need to cast.
Because my Human can't cast wearing MediumArmor too.
And you cant get Heavy Armor proficiency without having Medium one.
Dwarf it seems to be bad choice because he can have only 15 INT or Charisma in the beginning

Last edited by Shurik; 12/10/20 02:48 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
It seems that if you select a race that starts with medium or heavy armor proficiency, you can actually wear chain, plate, etc, as a level 1 Wizard/Warlock/etc. Likewise, you could also theoretically pick up the armor proficiencies during feats every 4 levels (right?)

You can cast while wearing armor if and only if you are proficient with the corresponding armor type, no matter the source of said proficiency. That said, I'm not sure if casters are able to (or should) pick up armor proficiencies as feats on level-up.

Are there any drawbacks or penalties to casting spells or wearing heavy armor as a wizard? In my initial testing it does not appear to be. That seems to make playing something like a Githyanki or Dwarf a huge advantage, as your INT can still get almost as high but you can walk around like a tank. In fact, could you use a shield as well?

There are no drawbacks or penalties to casting while in armor, provided you are proficient. You can use a shield and cast if your other hand is free, i.e. you are not carrying a weapon. If you are carrying a weapon AND a shield, you cannot cast spells that have a somatic component unless you have the War Caster feat.

Last edited by Gabriel Farishta; 12/10/20 02:51 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
My Githyanki Abjurer Wizard gets Medium and Light Armor proficiencies to start. I was able to equip a shield, but unable to cast spells. As it should be.

In order to cast spells in armor in 5e, you must have proficiency. If you do not have proficiency, you are considered to be too distracted/hampered down by your armor.

C
cronuss Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
So all you need to make a tank mage is to roll a Githyanki it seems. Interesting.

Doesn't feel like that's implemented yet? I don't recall my rogue /arcane trickster ever failing to cast anything.

addict
addict
5e does not have any penalty for casting with armor.
BUT casters generally are not proficient. (you must be proficient with the type of armor to cast with an armor)

Example : a Mountain Dwarf (5e PHB) can wear medium armor and be a Wizard, with no penalty.

nb : it is not as powerful as it sounds (around 16 AC if you have Dex 14), though sweet. The spell Mage Armor gives as much armor, but it does cost you a spell slot. If you have Dex 16+, Mage Armor will be better.

Last edited by Baraz; 12/10/20 06:33 PM.
A
stranger
stranger
A
You can make a fighter and choose to become an Eldritch Knight. You dont get the more powerful spells but you are able to use magic while wearing the heaviest of plate.

F
apprentice
apprentice
F
Originally Posted by vyvexthorne
Doesn't feel like that's implemented yet? I don't recall my rogue /arcane trickster ever failing to cast anything.

In 5e, which is what BG3 is based off of, wearing armor stifles your magic only if you are not proficient in that armor.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by alithanar8
You can make a fighter and choose to become an Eldritch Knight. You dont get the more powerful spells but you are able to use magic while wearing the heaviest of plate.

To be specific, you get to learn 2 cantrips and 4 Lv 1 spells, and get 3 Lv 1 slots that are restored on long rest. They don't need to prepare spells since their pool of known spells is rather limited to begin with (they are all automatically prepared) but they can only pick EK and start casting at Lv 3. By comparison, by Lv 4, a wizard knows 4 cantrips and 10 Lv 1-2 spells (in addition to any they learn from scrolls), of which they can prepare 7 and cast using 4 Lv 1 slots and 3 Lv 2 slots.
TLDR: EK can use spells to soften up high-AC enemies or enemies at range; but they aren't really a caster class.

S
stranger
stranger
S
EK is sooooo much better if/when Larian implements staples like the Shield spell. No Shield spell is partly why I went battlemaster over EK on La’zael (other reason is her INT is terrible). I want to make an EK main character at some point, but they gotta add some more of the staples before I do that.

apprentice
apprentice
5e Rule. If you don't have proficiency in the armor you cannot cast spells. Wizards can gain proficiency through feats. Takes 3 feats to get to heavy unless you are a Dwarf or Gith.

Gith and Dwarf start with it so that make good spell casters due to armor. Seems strange that a Dwarf can be better due to armor skill, but can wear medium armor right off the bat and does not need to use that spell slot for mage armor.

If you don't take feet, Mage Armor is one spell per day and gives decent AC.

Last edited by Kimo; 15/10/20 05:32 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by fishworshipper
Originally Posted by vyvexthorne

In 5e, which is what BG3 is based off of, wearing armor stifles your magic only if you are not proficient in that armor.

Ohhh I definitely missed that.

Link Copied to Clipboard