Originally Posted by PubisDeciusMons
As a longtime DOS2 player I fully agree. Superficially it looks and "feels" like DOS2, then when you get into a medium to large-sized fight, it feels like a somewhat awkward and strange new experience compared to DOS2. For example, the movement bar is almost totally unused for some characters, while the one action limit feels crippling. It's worse when you forget to do a short rest and thus lack a spell slot. Yes, of course you can always remember to do short rests but what really is the point? Just make it automatic -- ah but I am sure here the DnD purists would get upset. I think the bulk of the work for Larian on combat mechanics is going to be making changes that favor turn-based PC RPG gameplay over a strict interpretation of table-top rules. I still need to play EA a lot more but already it feels like combat needs to have reduced variability in some of the misses (some epic bad dice rolls like XCOM, lolwhut), faster gameplay in larger/longer fights, and the limited action/spell slot/divinity point/combined with a huge separate movement bar that often goes unused is worth taking a long hard look at.

Some of that is 5e like fewer spells, you slowly gain extra spell slots as you progress in levels. Extra attacks those come in for some classes at lvl 5. the same with channel divinity. Also with the movement bar most times you are locked into combat with another and unless your a rogue monk, have certain feats, your going to get hit if you try and move. Which is why I asked rather politely (not really, though really for me it was a mary poppins moment) that the arguement about DOS be dropped and people focus only one what works and what doesn't. The short rest is also a mechanic of 5e, as is the long rest.