Balance is indeed one issue but the bigger issue IMHO is that both systems do not blend well together. It creates a very strange hybrid where I as a 5e player (I play 5e 2-3 times a week) am puzzled by the way some of the mechanics are implemented and that some very core mechanics are not there, or have been replaced for no real apparent reason.

As an example I would raise the often cited changes to the action economy, which totally erased the identity of the rogue class. As a game designer myself I can only wonder as to what the reasoning behind this is, especially since the rogue wasn't really adjusted in a meaningful way. Another example would be the complete lack of the "dodge" action, which is a pretty important piece of melee combat.
There is the addition of the "dip" bonus action, a mechanic Larian implemented most likely because they want surfaces to be a pretty important core part of combat.

It ends up being a bit of a "mess" where it appears that they wanted to make a game that is very different from how 5e is usually played and this disconnect is almost tangible. If for instance you play Solasta to contrast the experience, you will find that, as a 5e player, the game just flows like water. BG3 right now feels more like an awkward dance lesson where you were told it would be tango but instead its disco fox.

Last edited by CrestOfArtorias; 14/10/20 06:12 AM.