Print Thread
Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 38 39
#697736 14/10/20 09:21 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Players who chose the evil path of the first act
(which ended with sex with Mintara)

What do you think of this gorgeous Drow?
Would you like such an evil companion, full disclosure of the character, the continuation of the romance Mintara and protagonist in the release?

Did she remind you of Viconia? (if you played the Baldurs Gate 2)

[Linked Image]

Last edited by vometia; 21/10/20 03:11 AM. Reason: new image

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
W
veteran
veteran
W
It looks like her head is in the process of trying to snap itself off of her neck in that screenshot. 😂

What I find really interesting about her is that she is Jarlaxle's cousin.

veteran
veteran
Big missed opportunity. She doesn't do anything, whether you go good or evil it doesn't matter. Go kill goblins or owwww you kill me.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
journeyman
journeyman
Great believable character, just like a female drow should be IMO. Somewhat creepy (just the right amount). Powerful. Short tempered. Bossy. Wants to show no weakness, even if there is a smidgeon. Fits the setting super well. Great voice acting.

D
stranger
stranger
D
I liked her, has more story than you think. Most people play the game a certain way, but if you change your outlook, she changes also. (Sorry not trying to spoil it)

enthusiast
enthusiast
There are dozens of you! DOZENS!

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A

The game files indicate that a future companion will be a drow.

I sometimes use thought experiments. I don't necessarily believe in every idea I post for discussion on this forum
H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Players who chose the evil path of the first act
(which ended with sex with Mintara)

What do you think of this gorgeous Drow?
Would you like such an evil companion, full disclosure of the character, the continuation of the romance Mintara and protagonist in the release?

Did she remind you of Viconia? (if you played the Baldurs Gate 2)

[Linked Image]

She didn't talk much before I killed her. Her design isn't impressive and doesn't show she is a priestess of Lolth (no spider emblem, armor is generic). Her text is generic as well, basically order you to kill the groves. Doesn't give you a reason, doesn't promise you a reward.

Would like a lot more developpement on this character, as she is kinda the final boss of the first part of act1 . Or one possible final boss.

If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
She is not a priestess of Lolth (unless the absolute is an invention of Lolth), but a priestess of the absolute. I guess designs for absolute Armor (except for a few goblin items) have not been finalized yet.
I also think that she is too weak for the role she plays in terms of level but

game files suggest a coming drow companion. If that is going to be Minthara it is understandable that she is only level 5.

Most of the world currently seems stuck at Lvl 5, a few stronger creatures would be manageable

I sometimes use thought experiments. I don't necessarily believe in every idea I post for discussion on this forum
H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
Originally Posted by ArmouredHedgehog
She is not a priestess of Lolth (unless the absolute is an invention of Lolth), but a priestess of the absolute. I guess designs for absolute Armor (except for a few goblin items) have not been finalized yet.

game files suggest a coming drow companion. If that is going to be Minthara it is understandable that she is only level 5.

Most of the world currently seems stuck at Lvl 5, a few stronger creatures would be manageable

Yeah , right. forgot about that, read too much Drizz't and I tend to associate drow priestess with Lolth.
I agree on the stronger creature.

If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
It will be interesting if we can play a neutral or partially good hero with Minthara too, a bit crazy idea. Perhaps she is not as evil as it seems at first glance, judging by her ability for mercy, and by the fears that are available if you pass the check in a certain scene. Perhaps for this you will need to get her in another way, keeping her alive in the first act after taking the side of the tieflings, but not planning to play an exclusively "good" role?

She can surrender and offer our character her services, since her mission will be failed and she will be punished even if she returns to the drow. And our party is an opportunity to compete for power together. At the same time, we may have the opportunity to betray her later, and if we do not use her, we will show that we can protect her, she will appreciate it

As an alternative way to get it

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
I'll never help this girl, Halsin is too cute <3. I must help my big fluffy bear! ^^

K
K
"Listen, I can change her." lol

It will be interesting if we can play a neutral or partially good hero with Minthara too, a bit crazy idea. Perhaps she is not as evil as it seems at first glance, judging by her ability for mercy, and by the fears that are available if you pass the check in a certain scene. Perhaps for this you will need to get her in another way, keeping her alive in the first act after taking the side of the tieflings, but not planning to play an exclusively "good" role?

She can surrender and offer our character her services, since her mission will be failed and she will be punished even if she returns to the drow. And our party is an opportunity to compete for power together. At the same time, we may have the opportunity to betray her later, and if we do not use her, we will show that we can protect her, she will appreciate it

As an alternative way to get it

but seriously, I think there would be a more clear neutral way to gain her path if she was supposed to be available for a true neutral playthru. Killing a bunch of teiflings and druids kind of feels less neutral, even if there are no witnesses left. I think the dialogue she gives you when she gives you the moontowers dialogue is a little too obvious in regard to her belief in the Absolute for them to change the writing to the extent you are suggesting.

journeyman
journeyman
As tempting as it is, I'm not one to play the kind of chaotic evil that would raze away. I prefer subtle when it comes to villainy.

[Linked Image]

Die villainous Drow scum!!!

journeyman
journeyman
I'd like to see Minthara as a drow companion since I see we are suppose to get one. Also her head looks like it is about to fall off in that screenshot.

Last edited by Iszaryn; 20/10/20 01:02 AM.
PS: I lost Halsin in that fight so I reloaded and killed her again just for good measure.

In all seriousness, just going by your screenshot as I have yet to have a conversation with her myself, I don't think she is a good representation of a female Drow from Menzobarranzan. First off, her hair looks like she has a mop on her head. Hairstyle is important and a mark of standing in Drow society. She looks like a male with shoulder length hair. No noble female Drow would wear their hair like that. Also, her skin is far too pale for a Drow. She looks like Astarion without the curls. Drow are called dark elves for a reason.

M
stranger
stranger
M
I used to be in the Minthara fan club. I was even willing to be her consort in Menzoberranzan. But she has trust issues.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
I don't think that she should be available for a good aligned player. Shadowheart is confused about her morals, we do not need two of her kind. Minthara can take the role of cleric if shadowheart leaves

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I don't think that she should be available for a good aligned player. Shadowheart is confused about her morals, we do not need two of her kind. Minthara can take the role of cleric if shadowheart leaves

By the way, you can complete the game with 4 clerics and feel good, a very versatile class

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
It is possible. But her turning good would require character development mirroring shadowhearts

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
It is possible. But her turning good would require character development mirroring shadowhearts

Maybe. But Shadow Heart is a half-elf, and Minthara is a drow.

There is a theory that Shadow Heart in the future can be both good and evil depending on the decisions of the player, and besides the fact that they are clerics, they are completely different

However, this may be the solution, yes. Conflicts are just like Karlach and Mizora - both are available, but a conflict is needed so as not to be duplicated.

But here I do not see that they strongly interfere with one another, the characters are similar only in that both clerics

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
I think it is very likely that shadowheart could turn either way. Her reaction to the druid camp affair point towards her leaning to the good. She regrets butchering the Tieflings if siding with the goblins and feels sympathy for the Tieflings when sideing with them

apprentice
apprentice
I was super happy to have my drow character turn on a dime and instant-loyalty in true jaluk fashion when a female drow priestess told him to turn around and stab his buddies. He did. No questions asked. And then, of course, he turned right back around and killed HER, for turning her back on Lolth. Aaaah, that was a fun murderhobo campaign. I think I killed pretty much everything on the map before moving to live in the underdark area.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Mister Monster
I was super happy to have my drow character turn on a dime and instant-loyalty in true jaluk fashion when a female drow priestess told him to turn around and stab his buddies. He did. No questions asked. And then, of course, he turned right back around and killed HER, for turning her back on Lolth. Aaaah, that was a fun murderhobo campaign. I think I killed pretty much everything on the map before moving to live in the underdark area.

Even in a good playthrough? Interesting
I wonder if there would be a more hardcore femdom scene if the main character not only helped the goblins, but is also a drow male

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
A question for the Minthara fans:

Prior to telling the player about the path to moonrise towers what does she say about the parasite.
I wonder whether true souls know that they have tadpoles. Priestess Gut does not know

Z
stranger
stranger
Z
Originally Posted by Hachina
Her design isn't impressive and doesn't show she is a priestess of Lolth (no spider emblem, armor is generic)

She's a priestess of the Absolute, not Lolth (sadly frown ). I agree with you on other points. Appearance-wise she's not all that impressive. Attitude-wise, she's ok. Your standard run-off-the-mill drow female who thinks she's all that, but actually isn't. Someone mentioned earlier that she was Jarlaxle's cousin - so a Baenre priestess serving a deity other than Lolth...interesting, I wonder what her backstory is.

She doesn't really remind me of Viconia, except for her skin tone, the fact she's a Drow, and that she used "jaluk" on me :P

She has potential, though. I hope they fix her appearance at least.

stranger
stranger

Originally Posted by Osprey39
PS: I lost Halsin in that fight so I reloaded and killed her again just for good measure.

In all seriousness, just going by your screenshot as I have yet to have a conversation with her myself, I don't think she is a good representation of a female Drow from Menzobarranzan. First off, her hair looks like she has a mop on her head. Hairstyle is important and a mark of standing in Drow society. She looks like a male with shoulder length hair. No noble female Drow would wear their hair like that. Also, her skin is far too pale for a Drow. She looks like Astarion without the curls. Drow are called dark elves for a reason.

I agree with the hair. Drow take great pride in their hair but in fairness she might not be of noble lineage. I can't see a noble drow being so easily turned from Lloth. According to the forgotten realms wiki drow can actually be albino too, which is what I like to make my MC. Her skin though is a bit light for the usual drow. I do kinda like that they do have more variation for their skin tones tho. Like in a lot of irl cases, where you live affects your colour, could be the case for drow on the surface too. idk, these are just nitpicks, especially for a character I'll kill every time. Dirty traitor!

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Eluvian

Originally Posted by Osprey39

I agree with the hair. Drow take great pride in their hair but in fairness she might not be of noble lineage. I can't see a noble drow being so easily turned from Lloth. According to the forgotten realms wiki drow can actually be albino too, which is what I like to make my MC. Her skin though is a bit light for the usual drow. I do kinda like that they do have more variation for their skin tones tho. Like in a lot of irl cases, where you live affects your colour, could be the case for drow on the surface too. idk, these are just nitpicks, especially for a character I'll kill every time. Dirty traitor!

She is an adept of house Baenre apparently. On the subject of hair, I do wish we had some more 'fancy noble' hairstyles available. We have a great range, but I do love some intricate noble updo styles, especially on female Drow.

Last edited by Tawkami; 20/10/20 02:52 PM.
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
I don't mind that she's not Lolth drow, in fact, I wish there were more non Loth drow around, like Vhaeraun drow. I just hope we might get to see her as a companion/follower, maybe continue the romance? What do you think?

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Very likely a follower. The chances grow with every post about her.
Hair and armor will likely change. They needed to get early access out to gather feedback. Such details can follow later

Mhmm! Im going to have to name my guy Jaluk so we have a super special relationship <3

(Jk) I do hope reasons for joining with her are developed though, because right now we're either a really submissive Lolth Jaluk or just really crazy to all of a sudden give up the quest for a tadpole cure. ..Unless we're deciding to find the Absolute somehow for a cure...? Joining with her needs more exposition.

journeyman
journeyman
She insulted my Half Elf So I gutted her like a fish. :P

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Very likely a follower. The chances grow with every post about her.
Hair and armor will likely change. They needed to get early access out to gather feedback. Such details can follow later

More posts about Minthara needed!
Let's draw her, if there are artists who read this topic?

So cute on the screen, but about the hairstyle, Larians can improve it, but I would not say that she is to bad now. The hairstyle suits her personality and looks good if you don't find fault

[Linked Image]

old hand
OP Offline
old hand

Come on guys, there are a lot of people who like Mintara.
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=709318#Post709318

Let's show that this topic deserves the title of mega thread section

addict
addict
Doesn't give you a reason, doesn't promise you a reward.

As Abits said in another thread, right now she feels like a quest giver with benefits. Every opportunity you have to explore her character is also one where she can and will kill you, or your party members become PTSD alkies. She does not have to "become good" but her willfull ignorance of her condition combined with the total lack of incentive she offers to follow her seems like she was written for jaluks to stumble upon her and drop the entire story for her. My human wizard would like to get at least one introspective question in before I betray and murder innocent people for no apparent gain, but no, she just tries to murder me.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Yes, I feel like it would be nice if we had more dialogue with her to talk about Absolute and in a way bond, to make siding with her more organic. At any rate, I wish we have more interactions with her, peaceful and or romantic ones.
Maybe add some dialogue options for drow characters when talking to her, maybe pry as to why she became an outcast and use that to develop a stronger relationship with her.

Last edited by Soulcatcher30; 21/10/20 05:44 PM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Soulcatcher30
I don't mind that she's not Lolth drow, in fact, I wish there were more non Loth drow around, like Vhaeraun drow. I just hope we might get to see her as a companion/follower, maybe continue the romance? What do you think?

Yes to all of this. Vhaeraun is one of my favourite deities in FR.
Even if Minthara cannot become a companion I am sure we haven't seen the last of her and hopefully we can learn more about her.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Give me more screenshots of her.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand

[Linked Image]

old hand
old hand
Shes pretty but shes evil and Im into men so I push her off a cliff or some such, haven't actually killed her yet or gone further than chatting to her.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Cute

old hand
OP Offline
old hand

I think it would be a good idea to make collages with her for those who are good at Photoshop

old hand
old hand
When is there ever going to be an RPG with the lure of working an evil sex god of a hunk?

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by DumbleDorf
When is there ever going to be an RPG with the lure of working an evil sex god of a hunk?

We have not yet seen the goddess Absolute, but I want to serve Minthara, work with her and fight together, and not the Absolute primarily. It seems to me that Minthara's belief in the cult of the Absolute is very similar to Shadow Heart's belief in Shar, that is, it has some reasons but can be changed, no matter how fanatical she may seem at first glance

Perhaps we will even be presented with a choice under certain conditions - the evil-evil passing cult of the Absolute, the choice between the sexual goddess and the betrayal of Minthara's and the right to lead the army of the Absolute personally, or the neutral/evil or even good passing where we do not betray Minthara's, and work together for the Absolute/Against the absolute/for ourselves (the last point is the best)

I want at least one version of a happy ending, and not like it was with Viconia

apprentice
apprentice

[Linked Image]

I don't find her very attractive at all but screenshots are at least tolerable.
Please don't make her talk.
Her voice sounds like a fuckin Goblin whispering casual violence in your ear.
How charming.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Syrek

[Linked Image]

I don't find her very attractive at all but screenshots are at least tolerable.
Please don't make her talk.
Her voice sounds like a fuckin Goblin whispering casual violence in your ear.
How charming.

I love her dominant voice and her hairstyle that gives her personality, many people do too. I think criticism and discussion about the voice of Minthara is primarily important for people who wants to hear this voice throughout the game, and not kill her at the first meeting

apprentice
apprentice

I love her dominant voice and her hairstyle that gives her personality, many people do too. I think criticism and discussion about the voice of Minthara is primarily important for people who wants to hear this voice throughout the game, and not kill her at the first meeting

I didn't kill her at the first meeting. But then she talked to me.
At the second meeting I sparta kicked her into the pit behind her table.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand

I didn't kill her at the first meeting. But then she talked to me.
At the second meeting I sparta kicked her into the pit behind her table.

So her voice was the deciding factor that kept you from helping her and killing the tifflings?

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by dmwyvern

I loved her voice! Felt the Voice Actor did a great job projecting a strong, mature (and let's face it, a little crazy) woman with this character. ^_^

from another topic about Minthara

apprentice
apprentice

So her voice was the deciding factor that kept you from helping her and killing the tifflings?

Not her voice by itself, but what she's saying with it.
I enjoy a good bad guy plot just as much as the next dude but she just comes across as cartoonishly evil.
I'm aware it's not technically her but whoever she gets her orders from, but they couldn't have found a more edgy way to deliver his wishes if they tried.

Helping her kill a bunch of refugees?
Why would I do that? I gain nothing from doing all that work.
So you say the Absolute will give me unlimited power if I do that?
I don't know about that, but punting his favourite drow down a hatch was surprisingly easy.
Can't be that much power that he gives his best buddies.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand

Not her voice by itself, but what she's saying with it.
I enjoy a good bad guy plot just as much as the next dude but she just comes across as cartoonishly evil.
I'm aware it's not technically her but whoever she gets her orders from, but they couldn't have found a more edgy way to deliver his wishes if they tried.

Helping her kill a bunch of refugees?
Why would I do that? I gain nothing from doing all that work.
So you say the Absolute will give me unlimited power if I do that?
I don't know about that, but punting his favourite drow down a hatch was surprisingly easy.
Can't be that much power that he gives his best buddies.

I agree with you on this, there were quite a few topics on the forum that asked to make the evil passage more reasonable, and less stupid, to give the player reason to think about joining the cult of the absolute. These are only early access issues, it seems to me.

I even assume that this was done on purpose, in order to study the opinion of the players on how they see the dark side of power and use it in their work. Larian could not say "we are studying the reaction of players to an evil passage, we will persuade them to play for evil" and make all evil choices poorly worked out by chance

apprentice
apprentice

I agree with you on this, there were quite a few topics on the forum that asked to make the evil passage more reasonable, and less stupid, to give the player reason to think about joining the cult of the absolute. These are only early access issues, it seems to me.

I even assume that this was done on purpose, in order to study the opinion of the players on how they see the dark side of power and use it in their work. Larian could not say "we are studying the reaction of players to an evil passage, we will persuade them to play for evil" and make all evil choices poorly worked out by chance

They will absolutely have to change quite a lot about that plot because the "dark side" has to be tempting, that's the whole point.
And there has to be a whole lot of tempting in this case because they want you to
side with height challenged little shits to wipe out a refugee camp
which is just a cartoonishly evil act. And
at the victory party after that massacre, one of these little shits hands you the bloody and broken lute of that cute as a button Tiefling bard that is just about the only character in the game so far that hasn't been a total asshole to you, to really drive home the point of how much of a fuck up you are.

There has to be a SHITLOAD of incentive for me to do something like that.

Last edited by Syrek; 23/10/20 06:23 PM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Perhaps this bard girl should be place somewhere else, or should be able to escape - too many people will not want to kill her. Although this undoubtedly adds to the drama of the situation (I personally don't care), but now it is almost exclusively Minthara fans who help the goblins.
Female players even those who play as drow asked why they should do this. If Minthara were the main character, they would have done it, but so it's a little silly

addict
addict

They will absolutely have to change quite a lot about that plot because the "dark side" has to be tempting, that's the whole point.
And there has to be a whole lot of tempting in this case because they want you to
side with height challenged little shits to wipe out a refugee camp
which is just a cartoonishly evil act. And
at the victory party after that massacre, one of these little shits hands you the bloody and broken lute of that cute as a button Tiefling bard that is just about the only character in the game so far that hasn't been a total asshole to you, to really drive home the point of how much of a fuck up you are.

There has to be a SHITLOAD of incentive for me to do something like that.

Man, I feel like I discover another little nugget of "stay away from the evil path" every day...

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Maybe Sven asked us to play evil because only a few would bother unless asked to do it.

Last edited by ArmouredHedgehog; 23/10/20 09:38 PM.

stranger
stranger
I have searched and searched and searched. This douchbag of a goblin: Lookout Grush, was standing by her side hostile. I tried to so many old quicksaves. Something tipped him of. Had to kill the bunch without any conversation. Would love to know what tipped them off. Any ideas?

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by aVeide
I have searched and searched and searched. This douchbag of a goblin: Lookout Grush, was standing by her side hostile. I tried to so many old quicksaves. Something tipped him of. Had to kill the bunch without any conversation. Would love to know what tipped them off. Any ideas?

Did you enter the goblin camp without a fight using a charisma chec?
If you do not kill the goblins, and do not let them know that you have killed the mind flayer, ignore the shaman, they will not be aggressive

K
K
Originally Posted by Stahlhengst
[Edited out moderated post: nobody wants to see that... -v]

Damn son, calm down, its a fictional character. eek seek addressing these unhealthy anger issues

Last edited by vometia; 24/10/20 02:38 AM. Reason: removed quoted section
veteran
veteran
Indeed, it helps talking to a professional about it if you have troubles bottled up.

Reel it in here. Civil, calm and mature, or not at all.

Last edited by The Composer; 24/10/20 12:35 AM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Just let's pretend that there was no message above and continue the normal discussion.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I completed the game once more as a non-Lolth drow, helped a goblin scout escape the tiffling camp. In the first playthrough, I somehow missed this moment.

Minatara opened up from an even more cruel side than before and killed the scout, I liked that.

Goblins do not attack drow - a huge plus for an drow passage. But there is one moment, it is impossible to avoid a battle with them on the way to the Moon Towers, I would be glad not to fight the goblins and not show up in their camp before joining the absolute in the Moon Towers, but the road that I was shown passes by goblins anyway. Not good.

Interestingly, with the evil passage of Minthara, in any case, remains a member of the cult of the absolute, or can we start our own game for power? I have a theory that True Soul's tadpoles completely control them, but something went wrong with our party and they gained strength without external control, and that's why the Absolute wants to get rid of us. Perhaps Minatara does not know at all that she has a tadpole, and we can relieve her of the absolute control by keeping the tadpole like ours. Or rid her of the tadpole too.

I think it will be clear in the Moon Towers when we understand what the Absolute is.

The Mind Flayers have a legend about the "Adversary" - an unusual representative of the race who retained his personality before the transformation and plays his own game. Perhaps Lolth and Shar are also involved.

Most likely he is a strong psionic and a wizard, and in the Moon Towers will appear to us in the form of the Goddess Absolute, most likely in the same form in which he comes to us in dreams. This will be the illusion that we already saw in the first act. Thanks to his illusion, he managed to plant a tadpole on the goblin leaders without them noticing it.

Something went wrong with us, we have a tadpole and his power, but there is no direct control of the Absolute over us, and therefore we can reveal his deception. This is the main reason why he wants to destroy us, even if we are helping the goblins.

This is my guess

Run - 2 hours, third level. Yes, it seemed so much content for 1 passing, but in fact, you can go to Act 2 in 2 hours if you already know where what is, and how to act.
And again I had a bug, I did not take part in the battle, it ended on its own. The tiffling leader was killed immediately when he was knocked out while entering the druid camp, I killed many tieflings while saving the goblin scout, and broke the gate. Perhaps that's why. It's strange that tieflings have 0 reactions to the fact that they broke the door.

Topic for discussion:
Is Mintara chaotic evil or lawful evil? I think the second

One truly awesome thing imo is how divergent the story can become from the very first act. These two paths seem so far to represen such starkly different characters and gameplay - makes for enticing second or third runs. =)

vel Offline
Minthara's character was sadly shallow. Also her voice acting reminded me too much of the hag, grainy elderly smoker voice.

The sex scene was a mess of polygons with my female drow toon and even if that's fixed, it's not tasteful. It's easier to pull off sensuous without being too elicit. Someone somewhere probably had a nice fap but I try not to s**** where I eat.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by vel
Minthara's character was sadly shallow. Also her voice acting reminded me too much of the hag, grainy elderly smoker voice.

The sex scene was a mess of polygons with my female drow toon and even if that's fixed, it's not tasteful. It's easier to pull off sensuous without being too elicit. Someone somewhere probably had a nice fap but I try not to s**** where I eat.

Nah, sex scene was fine. When animations are not bugging out. But maybe they could add more depth to her, especially if we see more of her later on, maybe as a companion.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by vel

Nah, sex scene was fine. When animations are not bugging out. But maybe they could add more depth to her, especially if we see more of her later on, maybe as a companion.

Should a kiss her boots before sex? At least optionally, when she asks the question "what do you want" - there is not enough option to serve and worship her, I'm sure she would have liked this answer. There is a theory that many of those who choose Minthara for romance think about something like this, two answers are too few options. The third is obviously missing

Yes, animation lags, early access issues
[Linked Image]

addict
addict

Should a kiss her boots before sex? At least optionally, when she asks the question "what do you want" - there is not enough option to serve and worship her, I'm sure she would have liked this answer. There is a theory that many of those who choose Minthara for romance think about something like this, two answers are too few options. The third is obviously missing

🧐 Excuse me sir, this is a Christian forum.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand

I'll be disappointment if she isn't a companion at some point, because come full release, I fully intend to do a play-through where I am a lolthsworn edge-lord who geniunly falls in love with her, because she is a lolth Drow like he is, and enjoys violence and carnage as much as he does.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by cool-dude01
I'll be disappointment if she isn't a companion at some point, because come full release, I fully intend to do a play-through where I am a lolthsworn edge-lord who geniunly falls in love with her, because she is a lolth Drow like he is, and enjoys violence and carnage as much as he does.

it is not clear about her and Lolth, until we understand what the Absolute is and in what relationship it is with the spider goddess, it is too early to draw conclusions

D
stranger
stranger
D
I love her character. What's more is that I like how unconventionally you meet her, especially if you are a Drow yourself. I feel like having a companion that represents each race would be amazing and Minthara is the #1 canditate for Drows imho.

S
Banned
Banned
S
For the sake of argument if she came at me in a public situation, if I had to defend myself outside her apartment, I'm watching her through her window, if I have to shoot through a crowd of tieflings to defend myself - it's 2 am it's a self-defense situation - I'm not going to happy about the devastation but I will be happy that I've protected my own life.

I didn't want it to be like this.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Vhaldez

🧐 Excuse me sir, this is a Christian forum.

I'd like to post some gay boot licking pics right about now but then I would get into trouble.

S
Banned
Banned
S
Originally Posted by DumbleDorf
I'd like to post some gay boot licking pics right about now

Nobody expected anything else.

OneManArmy, you have the most apt forum name ever. Still providing most of the bumps to your own thread I see :P

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Better that than a new thread about the same things every day. Most users don't even look at page 2, they open a new thread right away.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand

I googled the creature servant of Minthara that should meet us on the way to the Moonrise Towers.
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Drider
[Linked Image]

old hand
OP Offline
old hand

screenshots part one (part two on the next page, did not fit in one message)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

old hand
OP Offline
old hand

screenshots part two (part on the previous page, did not fit in one message)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

enthusiast
enthusiast
I really liked her voice acting, her voice actress did a great job at making her sound creepy and on the edge.
I played a good Drow tho so I had to do a little Drowslaying xD.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Nice screenshots. Yeah, she's not the sexiest drow tbh, but still, she's pretty cute and the only drow romance we have. Really, I think only major problem for me is the that the skin could be darker. Her hair IS messy, but she's a cultist in a goblin camp, so... Wish we can get her as a companion. Maybe also an explanation in depth for why she left other drow and maybe the option to sway her to our cause instead of Absolute.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Nice screenshots. Yeah, she's not the sexiest drow tbh, but still, she's pretty cute and the only drow romance we have. Really, I think only major problem for me is the that the skin could be darker. Her hair IS messy, but she's a cultist in a goblin camp, so... Wish we can get her as a companion. Maybe also an explanation in depth for why she left other drow and maybe the option to sway her to our cause instead of Absolute.

Mintara is the sexiest drow, why not? Minthara is great, no need to change it to some other new drow character
Although, of course, I would like to see more drow in the game, but not at the expense of it

By the way, the game has not yet given us an understanding of what could be "our cause", but I hope it will be something fun, optionally evil. A way to gain power and respect. Otherwise I will choose the cult of the absolute

old hand
old hand

Pretty sure we will get more backstory on her since she is so interesting, and seems to be an important npc assuming she is left alive. As a companion would be nice but we will have to wait and see.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
If he left alive .. haha, you can say the same about Will

enthusiast
enthusiast
I wish there was an option to say: Hey Minthara, you know you have a tadpole in your head right? You don't believe me? Look into my mind!

Last edited by Kadajko; 27/10/20 11:03 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Love the character but as a drow I must kill her because she is weak in her belief that anything could be more powerful than Lolth.

63% of all statistics are completely made up ~ Abraham Lincoln
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Nabbs
Love the character but as a drow I must kill her because she is weak in her belief that anything could be more powerful than Lolth.

I have a theory that the Absolute is Lolth's proxy, or at least they are allies. I have argued in this post:

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=717682&Searchpage=1

Minthara obviously does not know about this or about the tadpole. Although who knows, we'll see.
So don't rush to kill Minthara wink It's not that simple with her.

old hand
old hand

I have a theory that the Absolute is Lolth's proxy, or at least they are allies. I have argued in this post:

Probably allies but I bet she is using this as a test as well.

Minthara obviously does not know about this or about the tadpole. Although who knows, we'll see.
So don't rush to kill Minthara wink It's not that simple with her.

Well I hope they change her dialogue so more of my characters would consider siding with her. As the player I find her interesting, currently there is not enough information given to imply her way is better.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Kadajko
I wish there was an option to say: Hey Minthara, you know you have a tadpole in your head right? You don't believe me? Look into my mind!

The fact that there's not is such a weak point in the narrative, it's unreal.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
There are hints of Minthara's deep personal drama in this scene, though it likely spoils the romance. Perhaps later she will tell us herself when she can trust us enough.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Characteristics of Minthara:
Race: Lolth Drow
Health: 57 hp
Armor class: 16
Standard speed: 12
Size: Medium
Weight: 50 kilograms

Skills

Strength: 15
Dexterity: 12
Stamina: 15
Intelligence: 12
Wisdom: 18
Charisma: 16

Skill bonus: +3
Initiative: +6

Underwear color: brown (I got a bug when I used the option to inspect the character)

Alignment: presumably Lawful Evil. Evil is beyond doubt, the law is loyalty to the absolute and the presence of a certain code of honor, judging by the dialogue when trying to kill the main character and spare him after.

old hand
old hand
So far I've only killed her. But I'll do a just-be-evil-all-the-time-for-no-real-reason-but-for-the-sake-of-doing-an-"evil playthrough" playthrough next, and then I guess we'll be besties or something.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Have there been any data mining stuff about Minthara?

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Have there been any data mining stuff about Minthara?

+1 I'm interested too

https://baldursgate3.wiki.fextralife.com/Minthara

Minthara is a potential Companion in Baldur's Gate 3
Warrior Cleric and devote follower of "The Absolute", Minthara rallies his followers with force and a good amount of drow arrogance.
Where did they quote it from? This text is not in the game

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Lets revive it.

journeyman
journeyman
She's fun character for sure. As a Lolth Eld Knight, my justification for not attacking her is "Why she turned her back to Lolth?" I am looking at it as. I am doing Lolth's will, what is stripping my Goddess of her Drow. I will find the root cause of it. Kill it and free all her subjects to serve under Lolth once again. So for now, she is only there for me to investigate!

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Mezbarrena
She's fun character for sure. As a Lolth Eld Knight, my justification for not attacking her is "Why she turned her back to Lolth?" I am looking at it as. I am doing Lolth's will, what is stripping my Goddess of her Drow. I will find the root cause of it. Kill it and free all her subjects to serve under Lolth once again. So for now, she is only there for me to investigate!

I think this is an option for the "chaotic evil" passage. Help Minthara deal with the Absolute, then betray her for Lolth, who wants to punish her for apostasy.

I like this option, it will appeal to both Lolth fans and Minthara fans. But in this case, I will help Minthara and get more trust and respect from her by protecting her from the clerics of Lolth. Together with Minthara we can be a good team and against everyone, including the cult of the Absolute who deceived her with a tadpole, clerics of Lolth, and good characters who will condemn our methods - that would be a lot of fun.

I think this is how the perfect path of "lawful evil" should be. This is the path that will allow you to combine honor and friendship, evil roleplay and personal gain. I would like this roleplay, and I really hope that Larian will make it possible.

stranger
stranger
I love her as well...too bad I have to slaughter all the Druids to get in her pants

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by Finnius
I love her as well...too bad I have to slaughter all the Druids to get in her pants

Yeah, I wish ''evil'' path was a bit more nuanced.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand

Yeah, I wish ''evil'' path was a bit more nuanced.

t would be nice if we could make Kagha an ally of Minthara in this route.
Or leave her friendly and neutral.

addict
addict
it would be nice if we could make Kagha an ally of Minthara in this route.
Or leave her friendly and neutral.
For that to happen Kagha and Olodan should not be an outside hostile party. We don't know for sure if they will become relevant again later but the druid storyline seems rather done and dusted post Act 1A, so we might not even find out on whose behalf Olodan was acting. (other than the shadow druid from BG2 who is mentioned in a lore note)

stranger
stranger
Hope we will get update with Menzoberranzan adventures for drow. And ofc with Minthara. :3

addict
addict

Wow...that sentence sounds so carefreely spoken I don''t know what scares me the most. You for writing it, or me for speaking it out loudly in a carefree tone?

Momma, I don't like what this forum is doing to me.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by PrivateRaccoon

Wow...that sentence sounds so carefreely spoken I don''t know what scares me the most. You for writing it, or me for speaking it out loudly in a carefree tone?

What can you say, people do like that drow p.... They should still add one drow (male or female) romance/companion option if they are not going to add Minthara. At least that.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by PrivateRaccoon

What can you say, people do like that drow p.... They should still add one drow (male or female) romance/companion option if they are not going to add Minthara. At least that.

It will be sad, because they have already given the drow which we like, and this year we will get used to it. If they wanted to add another drow girl as a companion, they should have done no Minthara at all in Act 1 EA. It is so well designed and have a big potential..
Let there be two drow companions, okay, its nice. But one of them is Minthara

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
So we have a new patch.
I saw great dialogue with Minthara after trying to kill me, which I liked much more than what I saw in the first playthrough.

In the first playthrough, I chose Ilythid's ability, now I chose the charisma check. Quite romantic and promises a sequel.

At first I thought it was added in the patch, but this dialogue was in the game from the very beginning, in the first version and I just miss it. All this time I thought there was a big flaw, but it turned out that everything is fine there.
I just had to choose another dialogue (first time I was afraid to fail the charisma check and decided to act for sure)

:\

Looks like I lost quite a bit just sniping her from above. Jarlaxle's cousin, huh? Shame to waste such a character.

Last edited by Choosen of KEK; 03/12/20 08:27 AM.
Originally Posted by Vhaldez
[quote=OneManArmy]🧐 Excuse me sir, this is a Christian forum.

D&D is objectively satanic. No real christian would ever touch the dice.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
I think she makes a pretty good corpse.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
So we have a new patch.
I saw great dialogue with Minthara after trying to kill me, which I liked much more than what I saw in the first playthrough.

In the first playthrough, I chose Ilythid's ability, now I chose the charisma check. Quite romantic and promises a sequel.

At first I thought it was added in the patch, but this dialogue was in the game from the very beginning, in the first version and I just miss it. All this time I thought there was a big flaw, but it turned out that everything is fine there.
I just had to choose another dialogue (first time I was afraid to fail the charisma check and decided to act for sure)

Post some screenshots maybe.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
So we have a new patch.

Post some screenshots maybe.

5:00 charisma check

Also. The sentence "But you can rebel against the Absolute" also did not trigger an instant attack, as I suspected in the first playthrough. "I wish it were true," interesting.

F
apprentice
apprentice
F
I definitly do not think she is the next companion option for us, she is so simple and in good lawful playtrought game doesn't even give you a chose to talk her, ı mean ı ve killed her easily with Lae'zel. And Did not think about talk her even one time. She was just a one of three bosses ı should slay for helping tieflings. Doesn't seems to me so important. At least in lawful playtrought. She has died for me forever and there is enough negative energy in my companions thanks to all expect Wyll and Gale. I think the next one should be much more fugitive or rebel kind. Look at the Lae Zel and Shadowheart, Shadowheart is so RELİGİOUS FANATIC and ILLITERATE, Lae Zel the another version of the same shit. They re both secterian. Only origin ı personally interest is the one of Astarion. He seems like the piggy in the middle. And observing his emotion waving is so satisfying. I personally think we need someone like Astarion.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Fikoley
I definitly do not think she is the next companion option for us, she is so simple and in good lawful playtrought game doesn't even give you a chose to talk her, ı mean ı ve killed her easily with Lae'zel. And Did not think about talk her even one time. She was just a one of three bosses ı should slay for helping tieflings. Doesn't seems to me so important. At least in lawful playtrought. She has died for me forever and there is enough negative energy in my companions thanks to all expect Wyll and Gale. I think the next one should be much more fugitive or rebel kind. Look at the Lae Zel and Shadowheart, Shadowheart is so RELİGİOUS FANATIC and ILLITERATE, Lae Zel the another version of the same shit. They re both secterian. Only origin ı personally interest is the one of Astarion. He seems like the piggy in the middle. And observing his emotion waving is so satisfying. I personally think we need someone like Astarion.

Is there any point in discussing whether Minthara should become a companion on the evil path if you are not considering going through the evil path? There are characters on the evil path who also need to be killed, for example, Will. He is dead in an evil passage! This does not mean that he is not needed in the game for those who play the game differently.

K
stranger
stranger
K
I'm waiting for paladin so I can pick oathbreaker and be an absolutely evil death knight for my neutral route I plan a neutral drow rogue assassin (based on Riddick) But for my death knight, i will me sure to torch druids precious tree hehe.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Kaptin
I'm waiting for paladin so I can pick oathbreaker and be an absolutely evil death knight for my neutral route I plan a neutral drow rogue assassin (based on Riddick) But for my death knight, i will me sure to torch druids precious tree hehe.

A neutral root that is run by an evil hero, I thought it must be related to Kagha. What you say is an evil way

F
apprentice
apprentice
F
Originally Posted by Fikoley

Is there any point in discussing whether Minthara should become a companion on the evil path if you are not considering going through the evil path? There are characters on the evil path who also need to be killed, for example, Will. He is dead in an evil passage! This does not mean that he is not needed in the game for those who play the game differently.

I will go through the evil path. Just don't have time right now for this. I saw comments people talking about drow companion so ı declared my opinion about that.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Hopefully, Larian will announce Minthara as a companion as a Christmas present, or, as a last resort, confirm a full-fledged emotional love story so that there are many quests and content in romance with her.

The fate of the most charismatic female character in the game worries me very much, the pleasure of the game depends on it.
(the male most charismatic character is Astarion, but he is already a companion and everything is clear with him)

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Have to wait for updates in any case, most likely after holidays at this point.

old hand
old hand

I doubt it will be Minthara, I think all Companions start at level 1. I do think she will reappear in later chapters and will end up a camp follower eventually, but not a full companion.

veteran
veteran
I see no option but to kill her in my playthroughs, because siding with the goblins is from my perspective a stupid decision - and not only because I like playing Tieflings (and I like druids) - I mean, you have a cult of mentally unstable and very violent people. On the other hand you have a group of innocent refugees and mostly kindhearted druids. I'm not counting snake lady, because everyone makes it very clear, that she will have nothing more to say, when Halsin is back - so one reason more, to save that chap, to bring back a bit of stability to this region. Why would I join the murder cult? Even as an evil character ... I mean, I'm evil, not stupid. Things like that always backfire.

I could see Minthara as an either/or character between her and Wyll, because I don't see Wyll agree to siding with the psycho murder cult. But in my case it will be Wyll all the time, if they don't drastically change the quest, to make it more believable to help the goblins (other than the 'I want the sex scene with the drow lady'-argument).

Right now, the character and the cult has nothing to offer me. There has to be major rewriting of the whole questline to be done - think of the decision in Dragon Age Inquisition to help the templars or the mages - that was a decision, where you sit down and really weigh your pros and cons for every side. I didn't even think of that in this questline. Of course I'll help the refugees and the druids, of course I save Volo and that goblin prisoner can rot for all I care. And no questions ask, I'll kill the tree cult leaders.

I know, that I'm writing more about the cult than about Minthara, but to me, she is just another crazy cult member at the moment. I don't see anything, that would screm 'Yes, this is interesting companion material' to me.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
More screenshots from Minthara!

[Linked Image from static1.srcdn.com]
[Linked Image from static2.srcdn.com]
[Linked Image from gamertweak.com]
[Linked Image from cdn.staticneo.com]
[Linked Image from pcinvasion.com]

Minthara by ShiroiShi (fan art)
[Linked Image from a.radikal.ru]

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Nice screenshots and nice fanart.

O
stranger
stranger
O
I like Minthara you can see why she went with the Absolute instead of Lolth considering she gets rather attached to you, but I prefer Sazza

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Many people on Reddit also want Minthara to become a companion.
https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/j81vjo/romance_with_minthara_in_baldurs_gate_3/

kink with her
https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGat...only_one_who_wants_minthara_to_crush_my/

Baldur's Gate 3: Minthara is the Best Romance Option
https://gamerant.com/baldurs-gate-3-romance-options-best-minthara/

"While there still isn't a ton of information available yet about Minthara's backstory and what drove her to pursue a path of evil, the parallels between her and other conflicted characters like the Yennefer from the Witcher series are apparent. Of course, Minthara is clearly evil enough to condone mass murder, but there are sure to be plenty of players who will be interested to see if she will get a redemption arc, or if she has some tragic past. Obviously, some characters are just plain evil and offer no reasoning for choosing darkness, but that may appeal to some players too."

This is what I wrote about too. I think she has the potential to surprise the player. Show her good side if we become close to her - the ability for friendship, love, self-sacrifice and all that. But it must be difficult to achieve. In Lolth drow society you always expect to get a knife in the back, trusting someone is difficult.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Show her good side if we become close to her - the ability for friendship, love, self-sacrifice and all that.

You want to show her that after you murder a bunch of kids to get close to her? Lolol?

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Show her good side if we become close to her - the ability for friendship, love, self-sacrifice and all that.

You want to show her that after you murder a bunch of kids to get close to her? Lolol?

Yes, goblins - cannon fodder and minions, druids and tieflings - enemies of the Absolute who were ordered to destroy for some incomprehensible purpose. But the main character may well become important to her, and with the main character she will be completely different.

I think a much more needs to be done for this, and it will not necessarily be associated with evil.

Perhaps the Absolute will order us to kill Minthara in order to punish her for failure and take her place, and the main character will not do this, moreover, he will also protect her from the clerics of Lolth who also want to punish her for her betrayal. Add flowers and nice words to that. After that, she must understand something.

I would like Minthara to be available as a companion even if we are not helping the goblins, just under different circumstances, for example, if the main character takes her prisoner and then learns more about her background (to beat the redemption arc). If she joined the Absolute to avoid Lolth's cruelty, then perhaps she just didn't meet the drow Eilistraee? She is too interesting and charismatic character, and Larian needs to devote more time to her.

But in any case, this decision will be made by Larian - how exactly the Minthara content will look in the game, and what decisions can be made. I would like everything and a lot

enthusiast
enthusiast

Yes, goblins - cannon fodder and minions, druids and tieflings - enemies of the Absolute who were ordered to destroy for some incomprehensible purpose. But the main character may well become important to her, and with the main character she will be completely different.

I think a much more needs to be done for this, and it will not necessarily be associated with evil.

Perhaps the Absolute will order us to kill Minthara in order to punish her for failure and take her place, and the main character will not do this, moreover, he will also protect her from the clerics of Lolth who also want to punish her for her betrayal. Add flowers and nice words to that. After that, she must understand something.

I would like Minthara to be available as a companion even if we are not helping the goblins, just under different circumstances, for example, if the main character takes her prisoner and then learns more about her background (to beat the redemption arc). If she joined the Absolute to avoid Lolth's cruelty, then perhaps she just didn't meet the drow Eilistraee? She is too interesting and charismatic character, and Larian needs to devote more time to her.

But in any case, this decision will be made by Larian - how exactly the Minthara content will look in the game, and what decisions can be made. I would like everything and a lot

OK, I get it, you don't want her to be more friendly and trusting, you want her to be more friendly and trusting towards YOU. Yes, that's feasible. Evil characters actually often make more loyal friends and love partners, as they don't have other distractions to weight against your relationship.

Personally though, tired of sob stories and traumas, I am hungry for characters that are self-sufficient and well adjusted, thought, unfortunately, after reading her mind, there is a very big chance that it won't be the case with her.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
[quote=Kadajko][quote=OneManArmy]

OK, I get it, you don't want her to be more friendly and trusting, you want her to be more friendly and trusting towards YOU. Yes, that's feasible. Evil characters actually often make more loyal friends and love partners, as they don't have other distractions to weight against your relationship.

Personally though, tired of sob stories and traumas, I am hungry for characters that are self-sufficient and well adjusted, thought, unfortunately, after reading her mind, there is a very big chance that it won't be the case with her.

Yes exactly smile

All self-sufficient characters have their own secrets. She looks like this in public, wants to seem strong, because she doesn't trust anyone.

Make it so that the drow who is used to deception and betrayal in Menzoberranzan fell in love with the main character and began to trust him for real - is a great challenge. Make her admit to herself that she NEEDS the main character, and it matters more than Lolth or Absolute. Difficult, will take a long time, but I really want to complete it! I think when this happens we will have the opportunity to get to know Minthara from the other side.
And maybe (optionally) slightly changed her worldview like Viconia

I think the romance with Minthara will be one of the best in video game history if the developers get it right. They've already done better than Dragon Age and Mass Effect combined.

enthusiast
enthusiast
She looks like this in public, wants to seem strong, because she doesn't trust anyone.

I agree with what you say in general, but I don't want her to SEEM strong, I want her to BE strong. Too many ''hard on the outside, soft on the inside'' female characters nowadays, I want someone who is tough on the inside too, but this is just my personal preference. That quote of hers ''I never NEEDED anyone, but I WANT you'' really got me, that is the kind of character I would love to romance.

Last edited by Kadajko; 22/12/20 04:40 PM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
She looks like this in public, wants to seem strong, because she doesn't trust anyone.

I agree with what you say in general, but I don't want her to SEEM strong, I want her to BE strong. Too many ''hard on the outside, soft on the inside'' female characters nowadays, I want someone who is tough on the inside too, but this is just my personal preference. That quote of hers ''I never NEEDED anyone, but I WANT you'' really got me, that is the kind of character I would love to romance.

Yes, this quote ...

I think that she will say "I need you" after many other events where she can make sure that she can trust the main character. After one day of dating, it would be strange to hear something else.

And yet, the quote can be interpreted in the literal sense, and in the sense that a strong Minthara does not want to show her real feelings because love is pain.

I think she is strong both inside and outside, but every strong person has his weak points, which only a select few know about. In the first act, the main character is not the chosen one, but the candidate on the long way to this

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yes, this quote ...

I think that she will say "I need you" after many other events where she can make sure that she can trust the main character. After one day of dating, it would be strange to hear something else.

And yet, the quote can be interpreted in the literal sense, and in the sense that a strong Minthara does not want to show her real feelings because love is pain.

I think she is strong both inside and outside, but every strong person has his weak points, which only a select few know about. In the first act, the main character is not the chosen one, but the candidate on the long way to this

No.. that hit me a lot deeper on a philosophical level. It's not a lack of commitment, she lets you go and helps you, risking wrath of the Absolute, also sets a condition that you belong to her now and she in turn belongs to you, that is serious. The fact that your minds connected, hell knows how much that means and how much you saw, and if that one night was more quality time than many months of dating, only problem here is that your characters personality could be quite different, but it could be a headcannon that makes sense.

The fact that she wants you but doesn't need you is good, it's a luxury of choice, of free will due to the nature of being a self-sufficient individual. She doesn't need anything from you, she just wants you. Unless you mean ''need'' in the sense that the relationship with you specifically is so good that you would rather die than continue living without said relationship, so the relationship is needed for you to continue living, aka Romeo&Juliet.

Last edited by Kadajko; 22/12/20 05:59 PM.
A
stranger
stranger
A
Originally Posted by Nabbs

What exactly is an ally of Lolth? I don't think the queen of Chaos really has any real allies.

I see more evidence that the absolute is allied with netherese, Mind Flayers or Bhaal.

apprentice
apprentice
Minthara is too much. Ordering the slaughter of innocent refugees is one thing, but when I find you trying to kill me and your defence is "I would totally have married you in another life but god said no." that's just a huge red flag. The whole Bond movie sleeping-with-then-killing-me I get, goes with the territory. But you need to slow down on the concubine talk, even if it's just speculative. We literally just met each other.

addict
addict
Drows are very sentimental and sweet-heart people. It is known.

The inspiration for their society was these characters in teenager novels and mangas aimed for girls. Love happens at first sight or not at all. Casual sex is unheard of.

Note you can use the Drows' sentimentality against them. When Minthara wants to kill you, you can say "but I love you" and she changes her mind.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
you can say "but I love you" and she changes her mind.

Cute drow murderess.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by CopperCrate
Minthara is too much. Ordering the slaughter of innocent refugees is one thing, but when I find you trying to kill me and your defence is "I would totally have married you in another life but god said no." that's just a huge red flag. The whole Bond movie sleeping-with-then-killing-me I get, goes with the territory. But you need to slow down on the concubine talk, even if it's just speculative. We literally just met each other.

She said that she saw enough when you opened your mind, we don't know how much she saw but it could be a Lot. The only problem, like I said previously, she seems to like you regardless of your personality, regardless of any choices you've made.

Last edited by Kadajko; 30/12/20 10:40 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast

The inspiration for their society was these characters in teenager novels and mangas aimed for girls. Love happens at first sight or not at all. Casual sex is unheard of.

Note you can use the Drows' sentimentality against them. When Minthara wants to kill you, you can say "but I love you" and she changes her mind.

What about that Drow in bg2 that is horny and orders you to have sex with her or tries to kill you if you refuse?

apprentice
apprentice

BG3=Dating Simulator confirmed

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I didn’t know that the drow were not only cruel, but also sentimental, but after that I began to love the drow even more!

It is so touching and sweet when Minthara reciprocated and did not kill the Main Character, it is good to know that she is capable of love.
Drow trust is hard to gain, but so much the nicer

Such love and friendship is stronger than classical love and friendship, I would not be surprised if, in the end of the game, with MC romance with Minthara, she is ready to sacrifice her life for the main character, and before she dies, she remembers how she tried to kill us and says something very romantic

(but I don't want her to die)

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by CopperCrate

She said that she saw enough when you opened your mind, we don't know how much she saw but it could be a Lot. The only problem, like I said previously, she seems to like you regardless of your personality, regardless of any choices you've made.

Yeah, the relations I've had with her are still too quick and too shallow. I'm sure they'll punch the character up in terms of both dialogue and visuals, but she's really not in the same league as Lae and SH. We have our evils, and Karlach's the most likely next companion, and her whole "Gonna paint Baldur's Gate red with the blood of those who wronged me" doesn't strike me as all that light side of the Force. Can we get a female Dale Cooper or something?

S
addict
addict
S
It is so touching and sweet when Minthara reciprocated and did not kill the Main Character, it is good to know that she is capable of love.

Yeah because a healthy relationship is always wondering why your partner didn’t kill you. :P

I jest.

I don’t understand why people like her. Minthara is the epitome of evil. She wants power and control and is willing to destroy anything or anyone to achieve it. I understand choosing her side playing evil characters but objectively she’s awful.

But then again a lot of people just want to see pixelated nekkid bodies and you got to see hers which is probably why she’s so popular.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by spectralhunter
I don’t understand why people like her.

Everybody has their own reasons. Personally she got me with two lines:

1) ''I've never needed anyone, but I want you.''

2) ''I give you your life on the understanding that you belong to me now, and I to you.''

Always dreamed of romancing a character like that, never met one before in any game. For that kind of romance I'll happily slaughter those kids.

S
addict
addict
S
I don’t understand why people like her.

Everybody has their own reasons. Personally she got me with two lines:

1) ''I've never needed anyone, but I want you.''

2) ''I give you your life on the understanding that you belong to me now, and I to you.''

Always dreamed of romancing a character like that, never met one before in any game. For that kind of romance I'll happily slaughter those kids.

I’ve never watched Twilight or saw any of the movies but those things seem like something I’d find in Twilight.

I don’t understand giving up your own morality to satisfy your need for a romance. As I said, I understand from an evil role play perspective but not when I am trying to play a decent or good character.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I’ve never watched Twilight or saw any of the movies but those things seem like something I’d find in Twilight.

Sure, why not, Twilight did quite a few things right ( for my taste ) when it comes to romance.

I don’t understand giving up your own morality to satisfy your need for a romance.

It's the same direction of need for companionship, you just substitute one for the other.

As I said, I understand from an evil role play perspective but not when I am trying to play a decent or good character.

It is a romance for evil characters, yes, since without metagaming you will never see it to begin with if you are playing a good character.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T

Yeah because a healthy relationship is always wondering why your partner didn’t kill you. :P

I jest.

I don’t understand why people like her. Minthara is the epitome of evil. She wants power and control and is willing to destroy anything or anyone to achieve it. I understand choosing her side playing evil characters but objectively she’s awful.

But then again a lot of people just want to see pixelated nekkid bodies and you got to see hers which is probably why she’s so popular.

Honestly, even for what we were shown so far, her character development is pretty complex.
SPOILERS BELOW

- She comes from a evil society, from noble house (Bae)nre (no pun intended, totally) where showing good emotions/actions is going to get you in big trouble. Abadoning the official faith in Lolth is easy way to put yourself in danger in Underdark and even if you escape, there is no guarantee that you will be safe from worshippers of Lolth. Everyone is taught to act evil, backstab each other, betray the friends etc.)
- Dialogue with Minthara indicates, that she despises the cruelty of Lolth, which is probably the reason why she has left the Underdark (and she joined the Absolute cult to protect herself, looks like)
- She is not without doubts in the Absolute, as indicated by the dialogue with her selecting proper dialogue option after the talk in the camp (she responds to you, saying that she wishes that it would be true, that she could resist the Absolute)
- If you treat her well, when she does come to presumably kill your player character after the night, she is full of conflict, regret, sadness and it's obvious that she is forced to do what she doesnt't really want to happen. Besides, persuading her is a guaranteed success, on 2 saves, the rolls were 1 without any buffs and 5 when I had +4 buff to persuasion via effect, so it indicates that she actually doesn't want anything bad to happen to you. As the conversation with her goes forward, she shows that she is genuinely worried about you, that she does care about your character and is willing to risk her position/life by letting you go, as she is defying the order clearly given by her superiors and trusts you, that you won't come back to Goblin camp (as this would put her in big troubles)
- She depises the backstabbing that is everywhere in the drow society, as it caused her to lose family members, friends and even loved ones.
- Her mind is full of fear, especially because of her past, where she expected a knife in the back every day. In other words, she is very afraid of dying and considers her life to be very valuable ("Goblins are expendable, I am not")
- In one of dialogues, it is indicated that her cruel behaviour towards her subordinates is reasoned with ("the need for strong hand in leadership, or they will disperse"), as she leads really simple creatures (goblins, ogres, etc) who likely only accept authority from someone stronger than them.
- One person genuinely trusting and caring about her -> PC was more than enough to show than she can show mercy, trust others, love them, care about them etc. Judging from where she came, it is understandable that she would have big problems with any of actions described above. Yet, she did change and it's very likely that it will go further.
- Voice acting and mimics, especially during the whole dialogue in camp, are insanely well done. You can see how much does she care/depise our PC, depending on your actions.

Based on those points, I could describe her as a tragic villain, who is acting evil because of her past and upgringing, although she is capable of being redeemed as shown by pretty big change already. Her current alignment is Lawful Evil, but she does show a huge possibility of it transforming into Lawful Neutral or even Good. Seeing that she isn't completely evil or without doubt humanizes her to great degree and that's why I find her character interesting.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by TheOnlyRealTav

I jest.

Honestly, even for what we were shown so far, her character development is pretty complex.
SPOILERS BELOW

- She comes from a evil society, from noble house (Bae)nre (no pun intended, totally) where showing good emotions/actions is going to get you in big trouble. Abadoning the official faith in Lolth is easy way to put yourself in danger in Underdark and even if you escape, there is no guarantee that you will be safe from worshippers of Lolth. Everyone is taught to act evil, backstab each other, betray the friends etc.)
- Dialogue with Minthara indicates, that she despises the cruelty of Lolth, which is probably the reason why she has left the Underdark (and she joined the Absolute cult to protect herself, looks like)
- She is not without doubts in the Absolute, as indicated by the dialogue with her selecting proper dialogue option after the talk in the camp (she responds to you, saying that she wishes that it would be true, that she could resist the Absolute)
- If you treat her well, when she does come to presumably kill your player character after the night, she is full of conflict, regret, sadness and it's obvious that she is forced to do what she doesnt't really want to happen. Besides, persuading her is a guaranteed success, on 2 saves, the rolls were 1 without any buffs and 5 when I had +4 buff to persuasion via effect, so it indicates that she actually doesn't want anything bad to happen to you. As the conversation with her goes forward, she shows that she is genuinely worried about you, that she does care about your character and is willing to risk her position/life by letting you go, as she is defying the order clearly given by her superiors and trusts you, that you won't come back to Goblin camp (as this would put her in big troubles)
- She depises the backstabbing that is everywhere in the drow society, as it caused her to lose family members, friends and even loved ones.
- Her mind is full of fear, especially because of her past, where she expected a knife in the back every day. In other words, she is very afraid of dying and considers her life to be very valuable ("Goblins are expendable, I am not")
- In one of dialogues, it is indicated that her cruel behaviour towards her subordinates is reasoned with ("the need for strong hand in leadership, or they will disperse"), as she leads really simple creatures (goblins, ogres, etc) who likely only accept authority from someone stronger than them.
- One person genuinely trusting and caring about her -> PC was more than enough to show than she can show mercy, trust others, love them, care about them etc. Judging from where she came, it is understandable that she would have big problems with any of actions described above. Yet, she did change and it's very likely that it will go further.
- Voice acting and mimics, especially during the whole dialogue in camp, are insanely well done. You can see how much does she care/depise our PC, depending on your actions.

Based on those points, I could describe her as a tragic villain, who is acting evil because of her past and upgringing, although she is capable of being redeemed as shown by pretty big change already. Her current alignment is Lawful Evil, but she does show a huge possibility of it transforming into Lawful Neutral or even Good. Seeing that she isn't completely evil or without doubt humanizes her to great degree and that's why I find her character interesting.

Thank you so much! You wrote what I wanted to convey, but I was too lazy to write a lot. Hopefully the developers will reveal her character even better and give a lot of Minthara content, they are in the right direction.

Minthara is a complex personality, and it would be nice if in a "good" passage you could leave her alive and interact with her. It would be very strange to change her alignment after we went the evil way and committed the genocide of the Druid grove, then it seems logical to continue playing for Law evil. The Law Evil is very pleasant to play, unlike chaotic evil. But I want to romance her both as an evil hero and as good, with different playthroughs and different Minthara content. I want more players to get to know Minthara better, not just those who play for evil.

She can become the most popular companion and one of the best characters in RPG video games if Larian does everything right.

Y
stranger
stranger
Y
@OneManArmy

Hello just recenlty joined the forum, moslty i'm lurker and not very vocal, but i'm a great fan of Minthara like you! My love for Drow's romance started with Viconia into Bg and i'm happy to see Larian gave us a chance to have properly Drow Romance for us.

I hope they will make her a full companion later in the game and i hope you can finally give a full evil playthrough instead of Bg2 where you often were forced to get some good choices.

Also in the first run i miss the whole romance and i replayed it expecially for it because in the game you have 0 reasons to join the whole Minthara plan except for fall in love her madly at first sight and start doing mindlessly her biddings.

I hope they will give us more reasons to follow her at the start

I've been slowly working through my evil playthrough to score the romance with Minthara and only just recently wiped out the Druid Grove to win her over during the party back at my camp. Boy, the devs sure poured their heart and soul into that rather spicy night with her. I approve!

Funny too how those scenes got finished way before the pc's own companion romances!

Anyway, I do like all of the speculations herein about Minthara's conflicted nature and while I highly doubt that she will be added as a full companion during the completed version of the game, I would very much like that to be the case.

“This year the utopian candy shell has melted away to expose a hard center of bizarre reality.”
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Capt.Wells
I've been slowly working through my evil playthrough to score the romance with Minthara and only just recently wiped out the Druid Grove to win her over during the party back at my camp. Boy, the devs sure poured their heart and soul into that rather spicy night with her. I approve!

Funny too how those scenes got finished way before the pc's own companion romances!

Anyway, I do like all of the speculations herein about Minthara's conflicted nature and while I highly doubt that she will be added as a full companion during the completed version of the game, I would very much like that to be the case.

Why not? I'm pretty sure Halsin will be our companion, but if you choose evil way, then Minthara should be with you instead of Halsin.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
I wrote this in other thread, but it applies to same question, so I decide to take this part of the post here as well.

- Minthara if looted, just like companions loses all the equipment and the change is visible on the model. (loses the shield/armor/weapon)
- There is an romance option for her. (currently only an option for companions, might change in the future)
- Has a tadpole in her head, just like rest of companions so far, while still having possible friendly-ending interactions which hint further co-operation (this might not be true in the future).
- I have read that in game files one of companions in hinted to be a drow.
- Wiki displays her as a potential companion
- Probably will be possible to recruit late act 1/early act 2 if she survives, won't be possible to recruit as soon as others
Source
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1086940/discussions/0/2969520311927202564/
Above for drow companion, with a bit of other information regarding possible companions, one of them being the poor unlucky windmill gnome.
https://baldursgate3.wiki.fextralife.com/Minthara
Link for wiki is above

Seeing the positive reaction of people both towards her and Halsin, besides those things mentioned above, makes it even more likely.
As for the conflicted nature, while she is definitely (initially) an evil character, she does have a potential to either become someone better or even worse than before.
If you do the romance story with her,
You can deduce that the whole party and the spending the night together part was her just being sent to kill the Player Character, homever she can't really bring herself to do it (100% success persuasion check, even without tadpole power) and reacts in completely opposite way, selflessly helping you, while putting herself de facto in a tough situation, would you want to expose the fact that she did help you. When someone taught since early years to not trust anyone, living in danger and without any real friends for years and apparently liking prestige, power so much decides to help you, in such a way, you know that there is someone else under all of this persona shown to you. Even if it's deep, really deep inside and it if it takes time for it to show.

In older Dungeons and Dragons game, Neverwinter Nights:Hordes of the Underdark, you could have a drow companion - Nathyrra, who was a redeemed Red Sister (elite drow assassins sworn to serve the Valsharess). She also, until a specific point, was definitely evil character, until something broke her (in that case, the mercy and the good of the Seer). We need to remember than many of the drows act evil simply because of how big impact their society, upbringing and religion has on them. They aren't born merciless and traitorous. If someone dedicates to show them that they can be better, resulting in a huge change (or they can become even more evil, obviously it's not one sided).

So there is sense for her to still survive the "good" storyline. If we have an option to spare her after the siege battle.

veteran
veteran
I'm hoping that NPCs like Minthara or Halsin or Sazza are the actual model for non-companions and how they will be introduced in the game. The way Lae'zel and Shadowheart are introduced in the prologue and then right at the beginning on the beach seems reasonably well done, a couple interactions. Wylls introduction at the gate is kind of camp, but brings him into the storyline. Gale and Astarion I think both feel a bit forced in the way they are introduced. The way the dialogue is written and how the cinematics play out, Gale and Astarion could both come into the story later I think, rather than immediately.

I'm guess a Ranger companion will materialize, since its the only class currently available for the PC but that doesn't have a companion yet. Halfling might work for that, though I'd like to see a human female for balance since we already have Gale and Wyll as humans.

Minthara would be a good alt for Shadowheart, both elves-ish and clerics, especially if Minthara was more STR/Con oriented for heavier armors and tank up battlepriestess mode, so its not just a rehash of Viconia from BG1/2.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 06/01/21 02:31 AM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Black_Elk
I'm hoping that NPCs like Minthara or Halsin or Sazza are the actual model for non-companions and how they will be introduced in the game. The way Lae'zel and Shadowheart are introduced in the prologue and then right at the beginning on the beach seems reasonably well done, a couple interactions. Wylls introduction at the gate is kind of camp, but brings him into the storyline. Gale and Astarion I think both feel a bit forced in the way they are introduced. The way the dialogue is written and how the cinematics play out, Gale and Astarion could both come into the story later I think, rather than immediately.

I'm guess a Ranger companion will materialize, since its the only class currently available for the PC but that doesn't have a companion yet. Halfling might work for that, though I'd like to see a human female for balance since we already have Gale and Wyll as humans.

Minthara would be a good alt for Shadowheart, both elves-ish and clerics, especially if Minthara was more STR/Con oriented for heavier armors and tank up battlepriestess mode, so its not just a rehash of Viconia from BG1/2.

Ranger NPC / preset player character is Minsc.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Warlocke
Originally Posted by Black_Elk

Ranger NPC / preset player character is Minsc.

I can agree with the preset player character being Minsc only if you get Boo as well

veteran
veteran
Oh I suppose that makes sense, I had forgotten Minsc was a thing. So 3 male human companions then at a minimum?

I gotta imagine we get at least 1 human female companion?
If it works out like I'm hoping, the archetypes we know we have now...

Priests:
Shadowheart F Half-Elf Cleric

Rogues:
Astarion M Elf (Daywalker) Thief

Warriors:
Lae'zel F Gith Fighter
Minc M Human Ranger

Wizards:
Gale Human Human Male Mage
Wyll Human Human Male Warlock

For a good solid BG game each traditional archetype should have like 4 alts to choose from...For a start these are top contenders from EA act 1 so far.

Minthara F Cleric
Halsin M Druid
Kagha F Druid

Alfira F Tiefling Bard
Sazza F Goblin (Thief?)
Florrick F Elf Mage/Sorcerer?

A Human Female something?
A Dwarf?

Probably I'm only going to get 3 alts, if that, but I'd like a dozen on top of the 5 origins + Minsc for 16-18 companions total. That'd feel at least on the level of BG2 for companions.

Like 16 npcs where 8 are Origin and 8 have intro questlines, but are intended just as companions (not protagonists).

Then add in an option to recruit player created Mercs with just barks and a more limited merc arch, and I think the game would stand up to its predecessors.
Its important that we have a decent mix of companions though. I'd vote for Minthara for sure

Last edited by Black_Elk; 08/01/21 12:12 AM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I want people to say after release, "Dragon Age has Morrigan, The Witcher has Yennefer, and Baldurs Gate has Minthara"

I think it's real, so Larian needs to work more on Minthara. She has a lot of potential

enthusiast
enthusiast
I want people to say after release, "Dragon Age has Morrigan, The Witcher has Yennefer, and Baldurs Gate has Minthara"

I think it's real, so Larian needs to work more on Minthara. She has a lot of potential

Those are the characters you compare her to? She is so different, atm atleast, I hope to God she has nothing in common with the other two examples.

I do have one question on the path to get Minthara I lost Wyll as he leaves the party during the party after defeating the druids, which was really bad for my party formation. Is there a way to keep Wyll and finish the path to get Mintharas after druids are slaughtered?

I don't like Gale and i am trying to do an all caster party. This party i went as a Gith Wizard and playing him more as a more caster focused eldritch knight, closer to the really old AD&D 2e optional class militant Mage which was more like a fighter that traded weapon specializations for wizard spell usage. For party i picked wyll, shadowheart, and temporally Leazel as an eldritch knight and had planned on replacing her with Minthara. The gith part gives him racial proficiency in armor upto medium, and weapons like shortsword, longsword, and greatsword, he is going with greatsword and wearing gith half plate as a wizard, i did strength low only because i know how to get the headband of intellect quickly, and had given wyll til he left medium armor procency with the extra point into dex to let him use medium armor and a shield, so it wasa full caster party with all of them wearing medium armor

Last edited by soulstalker; 08/01/21 12:39 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by soulstalker
I do have one question on the path to get Minthara I lost Wyll as he leaves the party during the party after defeating the druids, which was really bad for my party formation. Is there a way to keep Wyll and finish the path to get Mintharas after druids are slaughtered?

Every time this question is asked everyone always answers - no.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand

Those are the characters you compare her to? She is so different, atm atleast, I hope to God she has nothing in common with the other two examples.

She has nothing to do with them, she is better than them. BUT, I was referring to the category "Most Famous Female Character in the Franchise"

No, Will leaves in any case

enthusiast
enthusiast
She has nothing to do with them, she is better than them. BUT, I was referring to the category "Most Famous Female Character in the Franchise"

Lets not pretend like It will be someone other than Shadowheart.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand

If Minthara was available as a companion from the very beginning of the game, and Shadow Heart was only available during the tiffling genocide, I would argue with you. This is only 1 act, let's see what will be in the release

enthusiast
enthusiast

If Minthara was available as a companion from the very beginning of the game, and Shadow Heart was only available during the tiffling genocide, I would argue with you. This is only 1 act, let's see what will be in the release

It's not about that, Shadowheart just fits more common tastes better, Minthara is more particular taste.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand

It's not about that, Shadowheart just fits more common tastes better, Minthara is more particular taste.

[Linked Image from d.radikal.ru]

enthusiast
enthusiast
10/10

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I wonder if the writer who is working on Minthara is reading this topic? I wish it were true.
And all those who worked on animation, voice acting, her appearance and so on.

You're doing a good job, keep going! We love your character, you are great!

She is so sexy giving the order to feed her spiders a goblin Sazza

Y
stranger
stranger
Y
[Linked Image from d.radikal.ru]

Okey here you gave me a good laugh! Amazing meme!

And yes i kinda agree that Minthara is more particular taste! I suspect me and good OneManArmy share that taste since he chose Yennefer as best romance and that will be my same answer.

I really like how they developed her in the romance and the story show her in different lights, expecially after trying mudering you then she will try to help you despite her own safety.

So far really they just give you some extra reasons to help the goblin except immediately falling in love for her and gamble everything your life included into helping her murdering the whole druids group

enthusiast
enthusiast

Every time this question is asked everyone always answers - no.

I don't think there is because if you remember correctly Wyll is out to destroy the Goblins not destroy the druids. So by helping Minthara you are doing the opposite of what he wants to do.

addict
addict
Just wanted to drop a +1 for OneManArmy's montage.

I had completely missed her during my playthrough (and by missed I mean that I fought her, but had no dialogue interaction whatsoever), which is a shame since I was playing a drow too and would've liked to see the interactions. Just started a new game yesterday and I'm heading to her straight away with my new Tiefling Ranger. Can't really comment much on this topic as of yet (since I've avoided spoilers as much as possible) but I'm looking forward to see what all the fuss about her is about. Will update you on my findings :P

Last edited by Malrith; 09/01/21 10:44 AM.

- Firm believer in Mindflayer supremacy -
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Malrith
I had completely missed her during my playthrough (and by missed I mean that I fought her, but had no dialogue interaction whatsoever), which is a shame since I was playing a drow too and would've liked to see the interactions. Just started a new game yesterday and I'm heading to her straight away with my new Tiefling Ranger. Can't really comment much on this topic as of yet (since I've avoided spoilers as much as possible) but I'm looking forward to see what all the fuss about her is about. Will update you on my findings :P

Yes, that's what I was talking about.
Many players on the path of good miss such a unique experience with Minthara, and she deserves to be known to everyone.
We will wait, I hope you will love her too, and there will be more Minthara fans wink

P.S. choose dialogue with persuasion check over Ilythid's ability after party. And do not go into her fears - she very much regrets that drow society and evil Goddess forces her to kill friends and wait for a knife in the back, it is difficult for her to trust and love

enthusiast
enthusiast
@OneManArmy

Why do you like Minthara so much? What was it that hooked you?

Last edited by Kadajko; 10/01/21 12:35 AM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
@OneManArmy

She is evil, dominant (I even said she is a beautiful dominatrix), powerful, sexy and super charismatic. Her storyline promises to be more interesting than helping the tifflings

I love the fact that her trust is hard to win. Shadow Heart is hard to get into bed but easy to become her trusted friend - Minthara is the opposite. I will get great pleasure when she realizes that she can trust me and I will never betray her, I think she will treasure it very much.
She just be afraid to love and trust someone, to make her not be afraid and feel safe next to the Main Character is a very good goal. I think she with her character will like that I will obey her and admire her of my own free will, being at the same time strong.

I think if she understands this and allows herself to really fall in love, she will be ready to sacrifice her life for the sake of the main character, just like she tried to kill us. I think she is capable of such an heroic act. Laezel and Shadow Heart are not capable of this, for them a true friend and love will be of less value than for Minthara

If the main character is good, she can even become neutral like Viconia, she has potential. If the hero is prone to evil, that's fun too.

She, like me, dislikes Lolth and her cruelty, which makes the drow live in fear and violence, but at the same time she is cruel in herself and this is not bad. Lolth's cruelty is for everyone, Minthara's cruelty is only for minions and enemies for the sake of higher goals or personal gain. She is capable of good and feels sincere regret when the Absolute orders to kill the main character, is able to risk everything to help us and it is very easy to convince her not to kill us. This shows that kindness and the concept of honor also has a place in her soul.

It's difficult with her, but the moral reward for a successful romance with her should also be very large. I think she is very lonely and deserves happiness and love.

Y
stranger
stranger
Y
@OneManArmy

@OneManArmy

For me also the voice they chose for her it’s very on spot! I really appreciate her.

Also her romance seems much more natural to me, it’s starting hard but razing down the village and help her into her goals it will help you going further on that route.
I think there are plenty to work in that romance seems I think at this stage she likes so much the Main Character mostly because he/she is carrying the “King of the Tadpoles” in his/her brain and she like us for our future power.

And I want add that after experienced Shadowheart romance I found much more satisfying the one with Minthara, because they tried to make Shadowheart reaction an “hard to get” romance.
In every single step she will antagonize you trying to peek at her truself! Come on! And please don’t always throw at me charisma check for every step I want take to work on the romance UNLESS Larian planned the Shadowheart to be the “hard to get” on purpose.

Btw to come back in topic I find Minthara will be totally used as companion and long term romance, I mean why waste so much good voice acting, sex scene and planning into that just for a secondary character that will be never be a companion??

old hand
OP Offline
old hand

Y
stranger
stranger
Y

Well seems we have another big fan of Minthara and a very hard work and detailed one. Big congratulations to him/her for all this work! Now i hope Larian Studios will take a little bit of their time fixing the whole romance scenes

veteran
veteran
Thanks for the supporting words, though I do have to be honest here; I'm not specifically a fan of Minthara - I'm interested in all aspects of the game presenting themselves well, and I'm interested in authentic depictions of the types of content they choose to represent, and when it comes to intimacy, scenes that are able to be immersive and engaging, in whatever way they ultimately decide to pitch themselves. Minthara's scenes were a perfect way to break down most of the current issues that I very much want to see rectified before they carry through to every other intimate scene and sequence as well.

On topic though (I haven't got the spare time to read through the whole thread, sorry), Minthara is definitely coded and set up to be recruitable and to potentially be a full party member in future The tell on this is a silly, simple thing: She's wearing equipment, actual in-game equipment, and when you loot it from her, she's left in her underwear; that only happens with companions or future recruitable companions. ^.^

enthusiast
enthusiast
How old do you guys think Minthara is?

200-300? 300-400?

Y
stranger
stranger
Y
@Niara oh Thank you for your honesty! I mean i understand in your post that you wasn't talking only about Minthara romance but using it as example to talk about romance and sex scene.
By the way i still appreciate very much all your hard work and research you put in your post (and in this way i could say that i appreciate seeing the pics of the female romance with Minthara, at least i avoided to reply to whole game just to see them :P)

And Thank you for confirm about Minthara being a companion i had my suspects when i murdered her (sigh i'm such a monster i know but really Larian should give some extra reasons to side with except just for the sake of burn down the whole Groove) and looting her she were naked after i looted her and an extra reason its when you use "talk with dead" on her you get a big amount of lore from her corpse.

I'm very happy she will be used as companion in the full game!

Y
stranger
stranger
Y
How old do you guys think Minthara is?

200-300? 300-400?

At the moment i don’t know how much old she can be. I don’t remember speaking with her she gave any hints about events that could help us to guess her age.

Said that I will not say she is very old but she had her fair of experiences and bad relationships.
She has a good load of those Menzoberranzan life style.
Maybe she is 300 years old?

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Do you think we might be able to sway her away from the cult?

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
I never got a chance to chat to her - her lackeys attacked me (maybe I made too much noise coming in...can't recall) and she joined in. At that point the whole fort was on alert, so maybe that means you just have less oppurtunity to do anything. Would have been nice to have her in a room with no other characters?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Do you think we might be able to sway her away from the cult?

I think that if she will play a bigger role / be a party member it is a given.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by booboo
I never got a chance to chat to her - her lackeys attacked me (maybe I made too much noise coming in...can't recall) and she joined in. At that point the whole fort was on alert, so maybe that means you just have less oppurtunity to do anything. Would have been nice to have her in a room with no other characters?

It doesn't matter who is in which room, if the fort it on alert, everyone will attack you once you get close to them, even if those fights will be isolated from one another,

Last edited by Kadajko; 19/01/21 12:14 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
So where do i signup for club membership here?

Anyway. Anyone else think that whole "You belong tome, i to you" was a bit too soon? Yeah sure we just massacred few tiefling and druids, and a few kids. Had sex once. Then all of a sudden the drow, with history of bad relationships, professes to us. Bit abrupt in my opinion.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Necrosian

Anyway. Anyone else think that whole "You belong tome, i to you" was a bit too soon? Yeah sure we just massacred few tiefling and druids, and a few kids. Had sex once. Then all of a sudden the drow, with history of bad relationships, professes to us. Bit abrupt in my opinion.

I think it was. And I’m probably the only one on this forum that doesn’t see what the hype is about regarding Minthara.

She looks like she’s going to fall under the same trope of other drow female characters in BG2 and NWN. Both Viconia and Nathyrra were evil companions who get redeemed by the player character. Seems the damsel in distress trope has evolved.

Now if Minthara stays pure evil (and she should since I don’t see how you can be redeemed after massacring the grove) for role play with evil characters, that’d be interesting.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Necrosian

I think it was. And I’m probably the only one on this forum that doesn’t see what the hype is about regarding Minthara.

She looks like she’s going to fall under the same trope of other drow female characters in BG2 and NWN. Both Viconia and Nathyrra were evil companions who get redeemed by the player character. Seems the damsel in distress trope has evolved.

Now if Minthara stays pure evil (and she should since I don’t see how you can be redeemed after massacring the grove) for role play with evil characters, that’d be interesting.

I don't get the hype either. I even watched her romance on youtube, since I really don't want to kill the Tieflings and druids. Not my cup of tea, she rubs me the wrong way. But she undoubtedly has her fans. Maybe we will get her on evil route and Halsin on good one. Would make sense, since you have kill one of those to do the other ones quest.

Last edited by fylimar; 20/01/21 08:33 PM.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
enthusiast
enthusiast
Anyone else think that whole "You belong tome, i to you" was a bit too soon?

It's not, since she says she saw enough of you in your mind when you connected, but the plot hole is that it happens regardless of what kind of personality your character has, I think there should be a few flags that she needs to check, based on your background and dicisions, to see if you fit what she likes.

Both Viconia and Nathyrra were evil companions who get redeemed by the player character. Seems the damsel in distress trope has evolved.

Wat? how is that a damsel in distress? When was Nathyrra a damsel in distress?

Last edited by Kadajko; 20/01/21 08:22 PM.
S
addict
addict
S
Anyone else think that whole "You belong tome, i to you" was a bit too soon?

It's not, since she says she saw enough of you in your mind when you connected, but the plot hole is that it happens regardless of what kind of personality your character has, I think there should be a few flags that she needs to check, based on your background and dicisions, to see if you fit what she likes.

Both Viconia and Nathyrra were evil companions who get redeemed by the player character. Seems the damsel in distress trope has evolved.

Wat? how is that a damsel in distress? When was Nathyrra a damsel in distress?

Evolved. Meaning drow females that are companions are seemingly designed to be redeemed or “saved” in some fashion. In Nathyrra’s case, it was to help her cause ( been a long time so I don’t remember clearly). Of course both Viconia and Nathyrra weren’t damsels in distress literally. But I get the “white knight” vibe with their stories.

If Minthara can be redeemed, I suspect it will play out the same way. I hope she stays pure evil whether she joins the party or not. I would love to see the final narrative story explaining how she took back her house and is now a matron or something like that.

addict
addict
It's more a matter of whether or not the character is actually evil or simply "misunderstood".

If the character is evil, then a redemption arc is implied as character development. If the character is misunderstood, then the onus would be on the player to go through an arc of better understanding her perspective.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Ayvah
It's more a matter of whether or not the character is actually evil or simply "misunderstood".

If the character is evil, then a redemption arc is implied as character development. If the character is misunderstood, then the onus would be on the player to go through an arc of better understanding her perspective.

Evil characters do not need to pass the "arch of redemption" for "character development". Please, let's destroy this standard of erasing evil characters and their evil personalities. This is not a mandatory ritual for "character development".

I rly hope that characters like Minthara, Lae and Astarion will remain evil. And that they would rather cut MC throat than be kinder.

addict
addict
Wait. What do you think "evil" means? What do you think character development is?

Originally Posted by Nyloth
that they would rather cut MC throat than be kinder.
Yeah, um, that would be smart.

Now, I would like to imagine that they're "evil" for reasons above and beyond being evil for the sake of being evil.

enthusiast
enthusiast
If Minthara can be redeemed, I suspect it will play out the same way. I hope she stays pure evil whether she joins the party or not. I would love to see the final narrative story explaining how she took back her house and is now a matron or something like that.

Well I personally hope not, it would be super weird trying to ''redeem'' someone after you slaughter some kids to get on their good side. I like her as the character she currently is and don't want her to change.

Also evil is in the eyes of the beholder, you can be evil to some while being good to others, I don't want to be on Mintharas good side, but that doesn't mean that she needs some sort of redemption.

What do you think character development is?

Characters ideals and personality being challenged over time and becoming more solid or going through change.

Last edited by Kadajko; 21/01/21 12:26 AM.
L
addict
addict
L
All of the Romance endings in Throne of Bhaal were obviously written with a good-aligned character in mind. Romance Anomen and you get 'treated' to an epilogue where a bunch of celestial envoys attending the marriage of the new goddess of Murder... eek

Viconia being the only evil romance option and having a redemption arc was sadly pretty predictable. It's a pretty tired and well-worn troupe at this point to redeem evil party members and especially romance options. The reverse is much rarer. I never followed the Nathyrra* romance in HotU, but I do remember that if you went with the evil option for the middle third of the game and sided with the Valsharess you lost both her and Valen side against you no matter what-costing you half of the endgame companions and romance options right then and there. Think that say a bit about common design principles of rpgs when it comes to romance right there. of note, the only romances you lose out on in BGIII by siding with the druids is Minthara herself, whereas you lose three (Wyll, Shadowheart, Gale) if you side with her.

I regards to Minthara and her romance, I think the voice actor did amazing voice work for her-her voice is really saturated with emotion when she confesses her love.**

At the same time I *do* think that her whole 'relationship' (for lack of a better word) feels really.....accelerated. compared to all the other characters you can romance, you barely interact with her-talk to her three times and suddenly wants wants to be with you forever! We are like halfway through the first act and we are getting this emotional confession of love (she basically proposes to you, really) that feels like it should be the sort of thing coming in sometime in the final act after journeying with her for 20 hours. Like I'm not sure where they can go with that relationship from there? I'm kinda concerned that her arc feels so...rushed so far because they don't have particularly long-term plans for her...

Honestly, I think she's likely to get killed off in the Act I finale or something like that. Probably her tadpole triggers and she spontaneously turns into a flayer or some sort of emotional suckerpunch like that. IIRC even when you convince her to not turn on you, she never seems to gets clued in that you aren't a follower of the absolute, and there's still the matter of the one in her head as well. That's a lot of convincing we need to do when we aren't even going to be seeing her again by her words until after moonrise towers, when presumably the poo hits the fan and we need to get the tadpoles out NOW.

*Bit odd trend that Minthara is the third Drow female romance option so far, but I can't think of a single male drow party member, much less romance option in any games. Also, I don't think there's ever been a recruitable follower of Lolth in any game either. Gotta be a Drow Lady, but not too evil, so they have to have turned away from the Spider Queen and need to have a soft and sentimental side. *shrug*

**It does feel really weird that she shows her sentimental and soft side right after having you butcher a bunch of defenseless innocents. A bit tonally off IMO.

addict
addict
Wait. What do you think "evil" means? What do you think character development is?

Originally Posted by Nyloth
that they would rather cut MC throat than be kinder.
Yeah, um, that would be smart.

Now, I would like to imagine that they're "evil" for reasons above and beyond being evil for the sake of being evil.

I don't understand how this article is related to what I said. In your understanding, evil characters should always become pitiful and kind, redeeming, in order to become stronger (develop)? To me, it doesn't, and that doesn't make them stupid.

For changes, the character doesn't have to become kinder or redeem something.. Otherwise, every good character would have to experience the "fall arch", but WOW, for some reason, this does not happen. They remain the same kind and no one says that they do not have growth. Or in your understanding ,the "evil" character is always "stupid" because he is evil? Also strange.

Some of them will always be cruel, cold, too selfish, and so on, maybe this is the basis of their personality. And chaotic characters don't even need a good reason to hurt others. Neutral evil can always pursue its own benefit, it never ends. Why do they have to suddenly reconsider their views? Lifestyle? Idk. Instead, they can develop in this direction. Was a thief? Become the king of thieves! Stronger. More domineering. More merciless. And so on.

I wrote about "throat" because I want the evil characters to have clear views. Just as clear as the good characters who leave your squad because you do too many evil things. You know what I mean? It is better to let them betray MC for the sake of their views than to be another victim of the "arch of redemption".

Last edited by Nyloth; 21/01/21 01:13 AM.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Leucrotta
We are like halfway through the first act and we are getting this emotional confession of love (she basically proposes to you, really) that feels like it should be the sort of thing coming in sometime in the final act after journeying with her for 20 hours. Like I'm not sure where they can go with that relationship from there?

How about being in a relationship, instead of spending the whole game getting into one? Starting a relationship should be only the beginning.

L
addict
addict
L
Maybe. Still not much of a start though IMO. As I mentioned, there's like three conversations before she makes her confession of love.

I doesn't look like much of a relationship is planned either. You can't take her with you in your party or camp-she says she'll see you again after you go to Moonrise Tower and meet the Absolute-which means Act II at the earliest we'll even see her again. Compare that with the Origin characters who even if you aren't in a relationship with, you get to hear their banter, their impressions, their side quests. Maybe Larian will develop it into something meatier, but there really isn't much there at all, and there aren't really any hints towards that changing by the end of Act I even.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Maybe. Still not much of a start though IMO. As I mentioned, there's like three conversations before she makes her confession of love.

I doesn't look like much of a relationship is planned either. You can't take her with you in your party or camp-she says she'll see you again after you go to Moonrise Tower and meet the Absolute-which means Act II at the earliest we'll even see her again. Compare that with the Origin characters who even if you aren't in a relationship with, you get to hear their banter, their impressions, their side quests. Maybe Larian will develop it into something meatier, but there really isn't much there at all, and there aren't really any hints towards that changing by the end of Act I even.

She does not confess love.

Also the tiefling origin character, for example, wants to meet you later in baldurs gate, and declines joining straight away.

Last edited by Kadajko; 21/01/21 01:48 AM.
L
addict
addict
L

She does not confess love.

Also the tiefling origin character, for example, wants to meet you later in baldurs gate, and declines joining straight away.
I feel like this is splitting hairs at this point, but I find it hard to take her 'You belong to me and I to you' thing otherwise.

As for the Tiefling character, I think that's just a placeholder dialogue-she doesn't even haver her look finalized yet-still has both horns.

Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 38 39

Link Copied to Clipboard