Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
N
N
+1 i agree with ops post about limiting adjustments to origin characters and have included some earlier comments and thoughts i had on the topic below for any interested. disclaimer - im not a fan of the origin characters and wish larian would reallocate those resources to the pc's story and more varied recruitable companions, but can understand if that may be difficult given our timeline for launch. some ppl may disagree with this, which is fine, but the origin characters to me feel like the dev's inserting their own pcs, and in my experience dmpcs are never ideal for a dnd game, but that could be a tabletop thing.

Originally Posted by nation
i also will probly not pc an origin character, but i think it would be neat to be able to take some aspects of an origin character to include in our own pc creation without having to play that origin/race/class/stat combo - like have your pc take the vampire spawn features - i dont see that as feasible or happening, but it would be nice to use some of the resources larian devoted to the origin characters for our own pc.

somewhat related, but i also dont think that its a good idea to have players be able to totally adjust the features of an origin character if selected for pc character creation. i wouldnt be opposed to it, and normally i am pro more player choice/agency the better, but it seems to be in contrast of the whole origin character concept if players can just override the base character features how they want, bc at that point are they really even playing the origin character that larian envisioned? (rhetorical - and if not, then what is the point of origin characters being pc options?) i could get behind having some limited, but world consistent changes players could implement for origin characters as pcs - like wyl could be a lvl one ranger, maybe rogue (or other applicable class, but idk how monk would look with wyl for example) and still fit in the 'blade of the frontiers' and the warlock patron would become more a roleplay item than class mechanics at that point? - but that likely would be a large undertaking in development. i also think that as a pc if you pick up an origin character in world at lvl one - from that point on you should be free to level/multi class that origin character as you want, but to totally revamp an origin character during pc character creation to account for a players preferences just sounds like you are not really playing an origin character - you are just making your own pc.

Originally Posted by nation
i think being able to have a general respec to change initial origin character features, outside of when selecting an origin character as your pc (and even then i would want the variations to be limited), after recruiting them in the game world kind of works against the whole concept of origin characters and could create some real gameplay problems imo. these characters are party members that larian has specifically focused resources and writing towards to be unique in the bg3 plot, so i think the ability to effectively reroll stats (huge impact) or choose different cleric domains (and ive seen ppl in other threads suggest class changes too) likely wont happen, and again i dont think it should. this is actually tough for me, bc i usually prefer game design that gives players more options/choice, but i feel like the origin characters were created the way they were intentionally by larian to fit into bg3, either as a supporting origin character or as a leading player origin character themselves with designated storylines.

now if there were some specific gameplay functions or plot elements that were in game that the origin character could interact with that would allow for subclass or domain changes, that could be really neat - others on the forums have theorized that while playing with/as SH there could be gameplay elements that allow you to change your cleric domain/god, and i suppose that you could implement a similar mechanic for wyll too around the warlock patron and replacing or reaffirming your pact/boon - but i think that a standalone reset function wouldnt be a good design choice. if we got too much customization while 'in world' i think it would really reduce the importance of recruitable companions, as you could roughly respec the ones you 'want' in whatever roles you needed, and wouldnt need to create a party of different characters with established strengths/weaknesses, which i think would take away some of the strategic planning that should occur when you decide which party members to bring with you and where your day of adventuring is going once you leave camp. in my opinion, the more #s and more variety among the recruitable companions is the way to go in this aspect to give the player more options in deciding if they want to take for example SH as a trickery cleric over say another divine caster larian may have us run into later in game. that being said, i think once you find and recruit a companion, origin or not, whenever they level you should be able to have them level in any class you want - given they meet the attribute requirements.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Icelement
Originally Posted by Tuco
I disliked this feature in DOS 2, since it stripped down all the companions of of most of their identity.
I feel it would be an even poorer fit for the D&D ruleset and setting.

Not everything that is convenience for the player on the immediate distance makes a game better.

And let's be honest... The feature was in DOS 2 to compensate for the extremely low number of companions available, the mere suggestion it will be in BG3 hints at a similar problem.

As of now, my number 1 fear is an underwhelming number of companions. It's looking likely that aspect is not going to change.

Larian very clearly appears to be building their origin characters to provide a "few quality characters" instead of what I remember being much more a diverse party situation in the previous Baldur's Gates. It also appears that you're meant to "lock in" your choices by the end of Act 1 (sounds familiar... D:OS2) and then you're using that party for the rest of the game.

I want to be the focus of the campaign- my character. The rest of the party is just that- the party.

Why we need to change the class, outfit, personality, etc of these other characters boggles my mind. Instead of making an alternative Astarion, make an actual alternative to Astarion. Provide me another Rogue that I can party with. Curb their interactions to be limited and minimize VA needs. Get Jim Cummings to do a few random voice lines and make some shallow characters I don't mind losing in a fight versus the local goblins.

It simply feels like the goal is to push as far away from BG style gameplay as possible. Currently there is very little that feels reminiscent of BG.

So what happens when you're playing as Astarion? Shadowheart? Since you will be able to play the Origin characters at launch, at the very latest, any of them could, in fact, be your character. The "but my immersion" argument falls flat here, because it's an option, and from what I'm reading, one that only applies when you're playing as that particular character, since you can't do anything with them if you're not, nobody else would be affected, at all, if someone decides to make Astarion a Wizard instead of a Rogue. I always loved the logic of "players need more choices, but only the choices I think are good for the game".

As mentioned in this thread, this option existed in DOS2, but I frankly didn't even look at it until my third or fourth playthrough. I'm not sure it would be any different here, for me. I wonder how many others had the same indifference to it, despite it being available? It's a case of "much ado about nothing" as far as I'm concerned. What Player Y does in their saves has absolutely no affect on what I do in mine.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard