Originally Posted by Temperance
Originally Posted by Orbax
*Puts DM hat on*

Players hate ticking clocks. Especially when you just start with one and haven't gotten into RP mode or really even know what is going on. You put in mechanisms to slow them down or make them less urgent because people are playing to explore, fight, get treasure. While its a nice carrot, turning it into a stick makes people not want to do side quests, talk to anyone, or have any patience for delays. It not only makes them impatient in the game, it will make them impatient WITH the game if there are things that feel like barriers and mechanics like makin you sleep often where every time you do you think your head is going to burst open and tentacles come out.

One of the things I tend to tell players if I am running a campaign like that, via the NPC giving info of course, is "You are not strong enough to take this on alone. Find allies, gather information, know who your enemies are. If you go into this blind, you will die - and if you die, while there are others searching, you have put a great many more people at risk than trying to take shortcuts. You have friends out there, find them, learn the battlefield you will be fighting on, and prepare."

Seems like I got myself unclear. I don't want a timer or anything. I just want my PC to be able to react to what he's/she's been through. A major city destruction shouldn't be left over in dialogues. I should be able to talk about it and inquire about the whole thing. Doesn't mean I want to go there to save the world. Just means I should be able to care about it.

OK, I should have read full thread before replying smile

Yes, there should be more references to what has happened to us, in camp dialogs, if no where else. Did we have friends in that town, etc.