Print Thread
#702349 17/10/20 03:04 AM
Z
Zer0 Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Z
So, the ranges in this game are, by necessity, massively smaller than the ranges on the tabletop. The longest range is 18 metres, which is about 55/60ft for those who play tabletop 5E. This means Firebolt, at 18 metres, has only half the range it does in 5E. I'm actually mostly okay with this, because ranged combat already dominates the game plenty as is. But the big advantage of Longbows has always been that they exceed the range of even most long range spells. As it is, with both Shortbows and Longbows having 18 metre range, they're just... not impressive. Longbow proficiency is supposed to be a pretty big advantage but as it is, it's a very minor upgrade.

I think just extending the range to 24 metres would fix this issue without unbalancing things, but I also understand if that doesn't end up being the case. Bows in BG have always been hugely inferior to their tabletop counterparts. It'd be nice though.

old hand
old hand
a lot of things are longer than 60', they seem to have a hard cap on that distance and it makes it so you can hit something with a bow and still not have it in range for hunters mark, sacred flame cant reach stuff thats too high, guiding bolt should be 120'...lot of stuff gets messed up

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
P
P
Yeah I posted about this earlier. I don't mind that the numbers are adjusted, but as it is the only advantage of a longbow over short bow is a measly 1d6 to 1d8 change. Increased range would be an amazing differentiator in this game. Please help me in continuing to lobby for it!

Z
Zer0 Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Z
Originally Posted by Postwave
Yeah I posted about this earlier. I don't mind that the numbers are adjusted, but as it is the only advantage of a longbow over short bow is a measly 1d6 to 1d8 change. Increased range would be an amazing differentiator in this game. Please help me in continuing to lobby for it!

I'm in!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Give me my range!!! honestly I want them way they are in book. As it stands some of the advantages of having magic is completely fubar, forcing you to get in closer then need be, especially with threat range so screwy. Plus it gives even more of an advantage to those higher up, who are now unreachable even by spells. So they're rolling twice taking the higher number, hitting from further away, unhittable most times. Forcing all of your people to move, and only move. Then when you get close enough to shoot most times the path is blocked, and even magic missile fails to hit...

plus with the bug of them shooting through doors, and walls.... (edit edit edit edit)

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah increase it to at least over 9000 feet so i can stealth cheese everything with ranged attacks.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by JDCrenton
Yeah increase it to at least over 9000 feet so i can stealth cheese everything with ranged attacks.

you should go on a cheeseless diet plan, Monte. or at least save some for Gadget

Z
Zer0 Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Z

Do you play tabletop DnD? If so, do you use every advantage at your disposal to take down the highly dangerous monsters you fight on a daily basis? Because I do these things.

In older editions of the game, the existence of longbows is what kept Beholders, Mind Flayers, and other horrible things in the Underdark instead of rampaging around the surface wiping out the humanoid races. In 5E, things are simplified, but the logic of tactical combat remains the same as it's always been; if I can attack the thing from a range where it can't attack me back, then I'm going to do that, because it's smart.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Zer0

Do you play tabletop DnD? If so, do you use every advantage at your disposal to take down the highly dangerous monsters you fight on a daily basis? Because I do these things.

In older editions of the game, the existence of longbows is what kept Beholders, Mind Flayers, and other horrible things in the Underdark instead of rampaging around the surface wiping out the humanoid races. In 5E, things are simplified, but the logic of tactical combat remains the same as it's always been; if I can attack the thing from a range where it can't attack me back, then I'm going to do that, because it's smart.

Just like doing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piFaHMSB8n0&ab_channel=DrNew

Last edited by JDCrenton; 17/10/20 05:03 AM.
Z
Zer0 Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Z
Yep, that's good tactics right there.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Zer0
Yep, that's good tactics right there.

I'm smarter, i just use cheat engine.

Z
Zer0 Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Z
Hey, if you need to cheat to have fun, you do you. Just don't expect to be invited to many games.

Link Copied to Clipboard