I will start by saying I am not a D&D player but I have played DOS1 and DOS2, I liked them both (but never got completelyhooked) but I think the system for BG3 is a lot more fun and interesting. I awaited EA very eagerly, wathcing a ton of community vidoes to learn about the rules, but one thign that is still really confusing is how spells actually work, and their description really doesn't help.

So here are my gripes:

1. It does not say anywhere in the spell description which school of magic it belongs to, or which ability it uses for hit %. I know it days on the character class which ability they use for their spells, but that isn't helpful when you are a wizard and learning a cleric spell for example. First of all, you wouldn't even know it's a cleric spell if you're not already into D&D, secondly it doesn't tell you if you now need wisdom to cast it or if it's intelligence. There is no way to find this out afaik.

2. The Attack/Defence category in spell description, it doesn't really explain anyhting. If it says "Attack/defence: Dexterity" what does it say? I mean I guess it means they can use a saving throw to avoid the spell, but why does it say Attack? It's confusing as well, it should just say "Saving throw: Dexterity". By saying Attack/Defence it makes you think YOU need dexeterity to hit with it, and the defender uses Dex for saving roll.

It also does not explain aother things such as "range" or how your hit chance with the spell is calculated. As a player I have no idea what this mean, what kind of saving throw ability is needed against range? Only by watching community vidoes I think I've understood what it actually means: that you get disadvantage if casting it while threatened. But it doesn't anser the question, whether they can make a saving throw or not if the spell lands. I'd guess not, but it needs to be explained! I also thought it means all spells get disadvantage to be cast in close range, that is why I thought spells like burning hands were bad and did not pick them.

Same thing with spells like sleep, just now I found out it probably means it will automatically put enemes to sleep if the spell matches their hp. Maghic missiles being euto hit, not exeplanation of that either. The list could go on...

3. It does neither explain the concept of concentration nor or that you use constitution for a saving throw.

4. Some spells really needs more explaning in description and how they work, such as Detect Thoughts and you should be able to cast such spells while engaged in a conversation.

5. I still don't know how scrolls work, will they use intelligence as an ability check if it's a wizard spell? It does not say on the scroll which school it belogns to (back to point 1).

6. For spells that doesn't require an ability check, it should clearly state so (such as healing spells). It might be obvious in some cases, but it's really not in others (Magic Missile).

7. It should clearly explain when a spelldoes AoE damage. There was a spell whose name I forgot, but it's like Necrotic Touch but AoE. It did not clearly state that when I picked it, it would have been useful to know, Otherwise players might accidentally skip such spells when looking to get more AoE.

Last edited by Cantila; 17/10/20 03:45 PM.