Originally Posted by Pupito
Originally Posted by Isaac Springsong
Pupito's last sentence actually raises another fantastic point.

If every fight and every enemy is 'special', then no fights and no enemies are special. Each time you add something new to a monster that isn't in the rules, you have to be aware that you're taking something else away. If every enemy is throwing around magical arrows, bombs, and spells in every fight, then the impact of those formerly special events is diminished. That is something DoS 1 and 2 really suffered from, the endless arms race for newer and flashier effects. But again, that's where Larian's job should be so easy, because 5e already accounts for that. Encounter balance is baked into CR calculations for the monsters involved. Yes tweaks will need to be made for going digital, but Larian only needs to make those tweaks when a computer simply isn't capable of understanding the rules.

Please, please, trust in the rules of 5e Larian.

Good point, that was one of the things about DOS2 that got really old really fast. First time someone shot a special arrow at me I was amazed, thinking that it was awesome and I couldn't wait to get my hands on some of those. Then after about an hour or so, every single enemy with a bow was firing special arrows at me or tossing grenades of some kind and I had an entire armory of the things in my inventory. Suddenly the "special" arrows didn't feel so special anymore.

If just about every combat encounter in the game has a special arrow, throwable, scroll, or even surface effect, they stop being special. Suddenly that cool acid arrow is just acid arrow #50 to toss into my bag, that awesome mechanic where blood freezes and the ground catches fire is just another room full of fire pits and lakes of frozen blood that happens every single time I have a fight.

How would a gnoll get hold of an acid arrow anyway? Using a bow and arrow is probably at the limits of their intelligence already. This annoyed me to no end on my playthrough.

Last edited by Worm; 17/10/20 04:47 PM.