Constant feedback I keep seeing from the "og d&d/BG1&2" crowd is that the NPCs are mean to the player character...........
You are in a strange land, dropped off in a other dimensional ship, with catastrophic mind controlling worms manipulating everything, at the risk of turning into mindflayers themselves. Each companion NPC is stressed out, confused, and distrustful on if the others are brainwashed or about to turn.

It's not all peaches and cream and good games and high fives. Jolly good adventure, lets go to the pub and enjoy a mug. Fun times there hero, you are a hero, by the way did we mention how heroic you are?

The environment and setting is supposed to be distrustful with a slow bonding over time through trials and tribulations. You don't just start out best-ies from the start.

If anything, the casually light heartedness of Gale was refreshing, but he is also keeping secrets on his own. Wyll is friendly and ready to be your bro if you fight goblins with him. Astarion is that guy who is friendly to get what he wants. Lae'zel wants a man's man to show her strength, she don't take no scrubs. Shadowheart is just your classic tsundere anime waifu.

Too many times the shallowest of requests for Minsc and his damn hamster keep being brought up. Yes yes, go for the eyes..ha....ha...ha, so lovable.

Also, the stronger goblins are also apart of a new cult with magic imbued powers from the "almighty". This could explain the newfound strength and organization of the goblins.

Fights can take a while, but I find it rewarding due to the tactical input I can provide and it is much like a chess game. Old goldbox D&D games were also turn based, so I am comfortable with this long thoughtful combat.

Surface manipulation and awareness add to the situational awareness and tactical gameplay.

Fights are not overly difficult as long as you use all the advantages to your ability. Keep high ground, build proper combat builds and skills, proper positioning, don't be afraid to fall back and lure enemies to chokes and into rooms where line of sight is protecting your squishy backline. Use surfaces to limit enemy movement or force them to walk through damaging or crowd controlling effects.

Loot, there is actually a lot of loot and special items. If anything, having a power fantasy and getting super strong at level 4 is already an issue. Special items should be special, and normal gear should be maintained. Taking out a boss or finishing a big quest line would be ok to provide loot, but finding magic items aplenty on the vendors is a bit much, and so early too!