Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
old hand
old hand
Long rest should be acceptable anywhere but with a chance of encounters if the area isn't properly cleared. Also camps should be in different areas, if I am in the Underdark for instance, why would I go all the way back to my current camp to rest when there are perfectly good places to rest down there? Also, maybe something saying you are not tired enough to rest would be good to prevent doing it too often. Once the character starts saying stuff about being tired then this would be the indicator that it would be allowed.

It would be great if you could be interrupted on a long rest if you rest at a campfire in a hostile area up. Please make it happen Larian <3.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by FatePeddler
It would be great if you could be interrupted on a long rest if you rest at a campfire in a hostile area up. Please make it happen Larian <3.

++1

apprentice
apprentice
+1. Travel, rest, and other encounters!

++1 : long rest respawning enemies; long rest is too easily exploitable if we're able to use it whenever we want; perhaps a good old 'You cannot rest with enemies nearby' or 'You've rested recently, you must wait X minutes to rest again'.

Originally Posted by Mister Monster
+1. Travel, rest, and other encounters!

++1 : long rest respawning enemies; long rest is too easily exploitable if we're able to use it whenever we want; perhaps a good old 'You cannot rest with enemies nearby' or 'You've rested recently, you must wait X minutes to rest again'.

If you're resting too often, then perhaps Larian could add a quip from one of your party members about how often you want to sleep! XD

enthusiast
enthusiast
I have often tought as I have been going through areas 'this looks like a nice place to rest'. Like some of the rooms with beds in the ruins. When you close the doors and light the candles and stuff it could be used as a resting place.

Love and sausages xx
D
journeyman
journeyman
D
i really much like the idea of "the camp" as a plot driving location.
though i generally agree, that the game at this stage leads the player to unlimited camp cheesing.
A very important part of DnD gameplay is to ration your valuable resources, that only reset on a long rest. If you expect multiple fights you need to think twice when using your strongest spells or abilities. In BG3 right now you just pump them out because you can camp at any given moment in any given location without any penalty. Wich is a bummer since those fights where you have to work with 20% of your resources left are some of the more interesting fights in DnD as you need to really make anything you have left count.

J
stranger
stranger
J
Agreed. taking a long rest 25 foot away from the boss, after slaughtering an entire gobelin castle make no sens.

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
i have no good solution to this problem. at least no easy one.
but i'd prefer respawning dungeons/camps that have not been "cleared/solved" to long resting after every fight.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by robertthebard
Originally Posted by Stray952
There are 100 reasons that long rests should be restricted to specific locations, and on long rest, minor enemies should re-spawn.

Mainly, you can’t exploit it. It gates player progress in a logical manner for scripting purposes, it builds immersion instead of breaking it.

I always wondered where all those mobs I just killed came from in a respawn system. I mean, are there limitless numbers of mobs hanging out in a dungeon? How do they feed that population?

It's also really easy to exploit, just not the way you're thinking. Clear a couple of rooms, do a long rest, clear those rooms again, do a long rest, etc. etc. That is, essentially, how dungeons in MMOs work, after all, at least, in MMOs where they aren't instanced. In MMOs where they are, the vast majority of MMOs that I've played don't have respawns in the dungeon.

Welcome to the lovely world of diminished returns, CR EXP gain gating or exponential difficulty. Consecutive resting in an area can lead to increasingly difficult encounters and areas can be easily modelled to have extremely unforgiving and taxing encounters that are not worth farming without returning to town and trekking back the whole way again. This system existed in older games and was barely worth exploiting to push yourself a few thousand EXP for a level and this was extremely situational and reduced to being useless at higher levels.

I am here to discuss a video game. Please do not try to rope me into anything other than that. Thank you.
#707765 20/10/20 12:30 AM
S
stranger
stranger
S
Put a few hours into the game, really enjoying it so far. I really enjoy the decision making in combat around whether to spend a spell slot or not for your current fight. It adds an additional layer through resource management that didn't exist in divinity and that I find fun and challenging.

It seems like there isn't a negative consequence to long resting at every opportunity which really detracts from any trade-offs you could be forced to make in combat situations.

Additionally, being able to long rest repeatedly without penalty doesn't mesh well with the "we need to find a healer as fast as we can or we will turn into mind flayers" story line, as days can pass through long resting without accomplishing anything. Am I wrong in thinking that there is no penalty / does anyone else feel the same way?

Thanks!

Last edited by suspair; 20/10/20 12:45 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
You are right that there are no consequences for long rest atm and it contradict with the story line. Also, if there is no consequences for long rest, why even have it besides companion progression. Just refill everyone spell slot and HP after every fight instead of us teleporting to camp. (BUT i have hope Larian will fix this... hopefully!) There are other things that contradicted the story as well...

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
yes i hope they find a solution to this. right now i am mostly just roleplaying the urgency but the sheen will not last long i fear.

journeyman
journeyman
I agree that early on it seems to run contrary to the narrative, but you quickly realize you're not in the imminent danger you assumed you were in the beginning.

Allowing you to long rest whenever you want feels like it was done by design, as a lot of the plot progression happens in camp. Also why the combat encounters are higher in difficulty - to "encourage" you to return to camp frequently.

K
K
yeah, but my wizard cant replenish all his spells with short rest. frown

S
stranger
stranger
S
Solid points, maybe haven't gotten far enough into the story to lose the urgency that I am currently feeling. Gameplay wise, don't think I fully agree with encouraging long resting due to the difficulty. Personally, I'd rather have less difficult fights combined with spell slot management than more difficult fights and no spell slot management.

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
please Larian check this, i'll be upvoting all the posts regarding this in the meantime XD

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Yeah this is how it was in BG. I would get ambushed so often but the experience made sense. In this game I thought it’s weird to have 1 camp that looks identical no matter where you are. The whole system is made more weird when the companions that “wait” for you at camp start to relish in some achievement or battle they were not involved in. Wtf? Gale you were not even there so what are you talking about “we” did this and that on so and so quest!? I don’t understand this aspect of BG3.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Originally Posted by Stray952
There are 100 reasons that long rests should be restricted to specific locations, and on long rest, minor enemies should re-spawn.

Mainly, you can’t exploit it. It gates player progress in a logical manner for scripting purposes, it builds immersion instead of breaking it.

I think this is a good idea, but I would relegate it as an option for a harder mode or as an option to turn on or off. I did find it kind of jarring to be in a tomb and all of a sudden be at a campsite outside-- I was thinking it would have been reflected that I was in a tomb or something. I was further thinking that I might have had a random encounter too while resting.

R
old hand
old hand
R
On the paper random encounter is good idea but in game it's just annoying.
When you go to rest your HP is usually low and a random attack will probably wipe your party. Constantly F5 + F8 every time you rest is not funny.

The game has one big problem. You can't make game for few thousand people if you create AAA (or even AA).
This is the reason why the game has so many changes from D&D like fast travel etc.
In modern RPGs, spell limit per rest is a dead system. The most popular systems have automatic resource recovery outside combat like mana regeneration or cooldown.
You can find a lot of complaints on the internet about rng combat even when Larian lowered the AC of many opponents.
Game requires a lot of compromises if Larian wants to avoid failure like PoE2.
I think unlimited long rest is a good compromise between automatic spell recovery after combat and rules of D&D.
Maybe they should make short rest unlimited, but with recovery of all spells.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard