Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
old hand
old hand
You can eat food during combat?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Any healing is pointless atm because of the amount of degenerate cheese the game has along with unlimited rests and savescumming.

Traycor Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by JDCrenton
Any healing is pointless atm because of the amount of degenerate cheese the game has along with unlimited rests and savescumming.

cheese yes... and potatoes, lemons, bread, melons, pigs heads...

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Traycor

cheese yes... and potatoes, lemons, bread, melons, pigs heads...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JrBQbNFgFU&ab_channel=digital_logik

old hand
old hand

If they bother you, why do you use them? I wasn't even aware you could eat food during combat. Why? I never tried to do it. It never even occurred to me to try it. The same is true for "unlimited rests and save scumming". They're starting to sound a lot more like buzz words than actual issues, especially given that the three things listed here are things that are already within a player's control.

Topic: If you don't want food to be used during combat, don't use food during combat.

Unlimited rests: For the first two days of playing, I was afraid to rest at all, because I was afraid of what might happen with the tadpole. Once I figured out that I was safe on that count, I didn't suddenly start going to camp every 5 minutes of gameplay. Truth be told, I usually take a character to camp to rest when I'm done with either the game, or that save file for the day.

Save scumming: Sorry, but this has been a thing for longer than I care to admit. I can remember seeing references to it during discussions of BG 1. I've already come down on the side of "we shouldn't be able to save during combat", but I remember watching an ESO video where he was saving in combat during a mini boss battle in Skyrim. So it's hardly unique to here, and, as with the two optional things listed above, can be completely ignored by one that doesn't want to use it, such as myself.

Note that while there is a MP component, it is also a SP game. What Player Y does in their SP game has no affect at all on my SP experience, and for MP, ground rules can be set at the beginning of each session.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Adding in "MOAR OPSHUNS" into the game is not a substitute for proper game balance, nor does adding in options reduce the amount of balancing work which must be done. In fact, adding in options greatly increases the amount of balancing work which has to be done.

I suppose that's reasonable. Some things probably should be options such as restricting saves or not because people aren't going to agree and it has the potential to have significantly negative effects on some people's playing style/needs if it's pared back.

But I can see that food in combat is a bit of a work-around; some would say even more advanced medical kits in a general sense isn't realistic. In which case the combat needs to work with realism and what players are reasonably expected and allowed to do. But I suppose this is the point of EA to work it all out, both player preferences and how the game is catering to that, to player abilities and indeed to the whole 5e thing.

In my case my main combat cheese isn't gorgombert exploding barrels but sneaking off when possible and then resuming once I'm feeling suitably recuperated, reequipped and recovered. Does that mean the combat needs to be changed? Hmm... dunno. It's been my standard technique in many games and is a variant of stealth attacks or breaking down a mob into smaller more manageable groups that I usually fall back on. I'm having to use the cheatsneak approach in BG3 as it (currently) doesn't have good support for stealthy kills and not involving the entire mob. Today I retried the goblin camp, something I failed on so miserably the other day, and mostly used a much smaller team of on average two characters to take out the lot starting in dribs and drabs, escaping combat by staying near the upper entrance of the interior location so I could easily take time out during any given turn.

Okay, that is nothing to do with food-during-combat, unless I had a hankering for roast dwarf leg, but the same basic principles seem to apply.

J'aime le fromage.
I agree with the OP too up.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by robertthebard
If they bother you, why do you use them? I wasn't even aware you could eat food during combat. Why?

Topic: If you don't want food to be used during combat, don't use food during combat.

[/quote]

I also don't really want to game over, because the loading times are quite long.

The enemies have higher HP, but my normal attacks and many spells do not have increased power to compensate, and the enemies also like to fling bombs, grease bottles, and alchemists's fire everywhere which end up dealing a bunch of unavoidable damage without saves, and my party's HP and AC is not changed from normal rules. So that's why I use food.

S
Banned
Banned
S
Food is restricted i combat. I think it may be tied to the movement points. Sometimes i can eat just one food item, sometimes none - i think after spending some movement. Or its just buggy.

Last edited by Surface R; 21/10/20 03:09 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Stabbey

I also don't really want to game over, because the loading times are quite long.

The enemies have higher HP, but my normal attacks and many spells do not have increased power to compensate, and the enemies also like to fling bombs, grease bottles, and alchemists's fire everywhere which end up dealing a bunch of unavoidable damage without saves, and my party's HP and AC is not changed from normal rules. So that's why I use food.

If you don't like game over let's just implement a toggle for god mode already.

Last edited by JDCrenton; 21/10/20 03:13 AM.
veteran
veteran
Eating food in D&D is abstracted into Short Rest and Long Rest. And that's where it should stay. You're expected to eat during rests and all that amounts to regaining abilities and healing.

I have to say I am NOT having fun...

a) collecting and carrying apples, onions and potatoes as separate items cluttering my inventory and taking time to manage
b) snacking them constantly in combat for some convenient bonus action healing

Larian's obsessive focus on putting more game into the game and always having a bonus action available is crossing the boundary to annoying and distracting.

An RPG can only have so much silly and gamey stuff before immersion starts falling apart and you start focusing more on the gimmicky gameplay than the story. Much like you would in a puzzle game. Look for the barrel. Find the cracked beam that will collapse the ceiling. Remember to eat every turn.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
I actually didn't try to use the food during the combat. I assumed because it wasn't in the hotbar, you couldn't.

But I sure used it AFTER the fights to save my potions.... I considered it compensation for all the cheap firebombing and fire arrow spamming going on. ;P

Okay, okay, and I was VERY amused by the fact that I could make the Vampire character eat VEGETABLES to regain health. grin hahaha

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard