Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
veteran
veteran
Some of your post seem like you will accept that changing gear based on that one wo wears it ...

Oh gods i hope this will not be the case. :-/
There is nothing stupider than Full plate armour become Furry loincloth when you steal it from knight, and equip it with your barbarian. -_-

I completely agree with that point of upractical dresses tho ...
But that can be even inplemented ... i can imagine that there should be some pretty dresses, that are (and are ment to be) purely unpractical, so they cause disadvantage for both attack, and defending rolls, and reduce movement speed by half. :P

Also equipment tab in character creation where you can tint your armor, choose starting weapon TYPE, etc ... that would be awesome. :3
After all, our characters had some life before right? :P And they were abducked right from it.

Also ... i would love to see some mirror in the camp to tint any armor i found, and maybe even edit my character.
For example if i found out that haircut i used isnt quite as nice as i thought.
That could be done by simply returning to character creation window, exclude some obvious parts.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
This is fashion souls, not dark souls! I want nice looking gear too. I was fine with it my first playthrough when I was a hobo ranger but the worn leather really did not suit my noble rogue character. And when you get the +1 version of it, it looks the same. I get why it looks the same but it's just a bummer that there's no visual difference between the one that says it has pit stains and the supposedly "nice" one. I do agree that part of this issue seems to stem (at least partially) from loot sparsity. The drow gear looks cool but the rest of the gear I've found looks like the default gear or the same as Lae'zel's. Meh.

journeyman
journeyman
The starting gear is very frumpy looking, but I personally think that it's kind of fitting for a low level adventurer.
However, if I'm stuck with these ugly leathers past level 4... then I'll be disappointed. Part of the fun in creating your own character is playing dress-up!

Am I the only one playing a Wizard? While the robes are somewhat better looking than leather armor in terms of looks, they all look THE SAME. Well TBH there's green and drab to choose from (also blue if you rob Gale) but that's it!

Cleric of Innuendo
OP Offline
Cleric of Innuendo
I have a few wizards on the go, as well as a warlock who stole Gale's blue robes and relies on Mage Armour.

In Forgotten Realms, all wizards get their robes from an authorised dealership who only have one basic pattern (tough wool outdoor robe) and one dye. If you thought that not needing armour opened up better opportunities to wear what you wanted, you have come to the wrong place!

My wizard wants to be a special snowflake, that's why she became a wizard. I had no idea that it involved wearing uniform. No sexy wizards, dapper wizards or ink-stained academic wizards here.

Cleric of Innuendo
OP Offline
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by pinklily
This is fashion souls, not dark souls! I want nice looking gear too. I was fine with it my first playthrough when I was a hobo ranger but the worn leather really did not suit my noble rogue character. And when you get the +1 version of it, it looks the same. I get why it looks the same but it's just a bummer that there's no visual difference between the one that says it has pit stains and the supposedly "nice" one. I do agree that part of this issue seems to stem (at least partially) from loot sparsity. The drow gear looks cool but the rest of the gear I've found looks like the default gear or the same as Lae'zel's. Meh.

Wouldn't it be nice to have two or three versions of the same armour and outfits; one brand new and one looking battered. You could also add it a 'repaired' version. Each version displays as appropriate (and an easy in-game use for Prestidigitation. Pie in the sky, of course, but a nice idea.

Last edited by Sadurian; 24/10/20 11:02 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
ANy Githyanki medium armor class should start with the githyanki halfplate imo

I want starting full-plate and bastard sword for my Helm cleric, or just full-plate for my Moradin dwarf cleric. Enough said. :p Joking aside - it would be nice to have more Heavy armor options than just Lae'zals and her gith companions as options for heavy armor. The splint mail makes me cringe. I need my full-plate. Or at the very least put in Breast-plate medium armor. frown *pouts*

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Ghost King
I want starting full-plate and bastard sword

I'm okay with not starting with it, but I want more options to be in game, or purchasable or lootable.

Red toned mage robes, please! More options for helms and heavy armor!

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Newtinmpls
I'm okay with not starting with it, but I want more options to be in game, or purchasable or lootable.

Red toned mage robes, please! More options for helms and heavy armor!

The armour can certainly be tinted, though it remains to be seen if this will only be used for variants of the same model or if it will actually be customisable by the player (e.g. D:OS, though the dyes available were a bit, erm, vivid). There are certainly more variations than are available from vendors at present; there are a number of reasons why their inventories might be limited but I expect they will be significantly expanded by the time of the official release. That is to say "I expect" is what I personally anticipate, not what I know will happen, because I don't.

J'aime le fromage.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Issue is limited artist time. This is not like tabletop where I can add a line or two to give something a different look. I use racial armors in my game where I'll tag stuff as full plate mail + 1 (hobgoblin) so you have a nice set of armor but it ugly and very utilitarian looking. I also have that skilled armorers can tweak the look of equipment so in the case full plate mail + 1 (hobgoblin), few weeks time and some gold and it become just full plate mail + 1 (generic).

I do hope they add more looks but that going to take time.

On dyes, if the artwork is not created with that in mind, dyes can look like crap.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Sadurian
Ooo yes, DA:I and Josephine's dress. Also Vivienne's (why was she not available for a romance?).

Sure, the really nice noble-style clothing is not practical for adventuring, but even when you were in the castle you had those horrible PJs. What the hell were they thinking when they decided they were what people wanted?

Just a bit on the '' practicality '' topic, so strap in.

I think that people get super hung up on practicality in a pretty arbitrary way.
If practicality was some kind of a mandatory thing then people wouldn't run around in combat with long cloaks, spiked armor, bunch of loose pointless cloth etc.
I mean was Zevlor trying to catch water with his low arm shoulderpad thingies rofl? Imagine how easy those would be to pull and catch with hooked weapons.
Not to mention the constant lack of helmets, gloves and long hair ( hello Shadowheart ) in games and movies.
Often with fantasy armor especially in DnD designs characters are basically wearing a private mobile pharmacy and have all of these pointless and '' impractical '' shapes and details.
Heat exhaustion was one of the primary causes of death on the battlefield historically too and characters basically turn themselves into even more of a glorified oven too and then run around in it all day long lol.
And then also people kinda accept it when the archetype supports it like Barbarians being in loincloths, but then get super ultra touchy about it otherwise. As if being a Barbarian makes you immune to arrows or something.

It kinda reminds me of the '' WeLl AcHtUaLlY '' arguments about breastplates shaped even just slightly after feminine curves ( I refuse to use that stupid label people got for it ).
Suddenly everyone becomes armchair experts about armor because they read a blog post or watched a Youtube video and unironically suggest that the whole ribcage and heart would get caved in etc, just totally ridiculous and extreme claims that severely undermines just how effective plate armor was and the padding underneath it etc.
Usually complaints about this tend to just come across like people trying to justify and lend more merit to why they don't like something aesthetically to try and gatekeep and invalidate other options.
I'd have a tiny bit more respect for it if people were more consistent about it, even if I still think it's not an issue.

Bit ranty aside tho ( sorry, but it just really annoys me ).
The way that I look at it armor and clothes don't need to be practical in a fantasy game, I'd pay more attention to it in a simulator.
The thing that matters is context and consistency.
It's more about visual appeal and supporting a certain fantasy.

With spellcasters for example I think that you can have more noble attire as options, it still communicates that they're not frontline soldiers and are squishy ( unless built as such with magic involved, but y'know... Magic laugh. ). And that's the most important thing.
Same with leather, it's kinda nonsensical and wasn't really much of a thing historically. But it supports that mid-tier fantasy inbetween.
And with plate armor you can still push visual appeal too, in a game like Baldur's Gate it just needs to cover the body in plate to communicate the purpose and role properly.
I actually do like skimpy plate armor, but it doesn't fit Baldur's Gate.
But Baldur's Gate is also not a simulator so you can still push the designs, ceremonial armor still communicates role and purpose and is consistent with the setting.

Anyways, just wanted that out of my system because I've already seen the usual '' hardcore DnD fans '' complain about this in other places.
Wooh!
Remember it's a video game and is meant to be fun smile.
And also different options in attire and armor allows people to roleplay differently, I mean noble is actually an origin in the game for example.
I think that Larian should have a lot of different options in the game to allow people to live out different fantasies.

Which brings me to.

Originally Posted by Ol Blue Hat
Honestly, the big fix for this would be a glamor option (stats transferring to the cosmetics of other items).

TT A TT

Also this, I hope that Larian adds this in and that we don't have to rely on mods.
I'd really like too if they added maybe a shop that was purely for cosmetics that you could use for glamor.

Something that annoyed me in Pathfinder Kingmaker is how my Monk ended up looking like a Wizard clown lol.
Or how my Barbarian didn't really look like a traditional Barbarian.
It's not important to everyone, but I do think that it is a thing most people do care about however.
People often say '' cosmetics don't matter '', but I mean... If that was true then people wouldn't be so willing to pay and grind for it.

There's already non-lore friendly options in the character customization too, some fun silly things would be welcome imo too.

S
Banned
Banned
S
I was most annoyed by these two guards:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thats a very nice design of a scale armor. Why cant i get one? Not even from their dead bodies. And that helmet is also nice. Much nicer then the goblin themed lather helmet we can find.

The solution for this should be easily doable because these armor models are already made and in the game.
They dont need to have any different stats then the other armors of that same class, or anything. They just need to be available. On the dead enemies and in some shops.

It would fit with the cultural diversity of Faerun, so maybe this is a Cormyr scale armor, or from some other region of the world. Same for other armors.
And then you can have armors specifically made by some group, or a faction. Like Shadowheart armor.

It would be nice if we could find an armor smith and pay to have our armors upgraded.
Nothing fancy, but maybe getting a +1 on a really nice piece would be easily doable.

Cleric of Innuendo
OP Offline
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Some of your post seem like you will accept that changing gear based on that one wo wears it ...

Oh gods i hope this will not be the case. :-/
There is nothing stupider than Full plate armour become Furry loincloth when you steal it from knight, and equip it with your barbarian. -_-

No. If the knight wants to wear a furry loincloth then he... is wearing a furry loincloth.

stranger
stranger
So far the Mod community has really come through on this one, they've sussed out all the items and cosmetics with stats that can be applied at the start of the game, which is a shame that its the only way to get it there, but overall its better than nothing. That being said, if Modders with free time looking into the game's code can do it, it should be something rather easy for the devs to apply in the final game as well.

What this means for me is two fold
1.) If Larian can't / won't due to [reason] it means the mod community can and will - seeing as this is a PC game, Modding is going to just be a part of making this game as great as it can be.

2.) Larian 100% CAN and SHOULD make the cosmetics a focus of this game. I know there are a LOT bigger bugs to squash (I've encountered a HUGE one that hard locked my progression that feels completely unintentional - this is a Bethesda level quest bug that I'm shocked made it through) but this issue should be relatively easy to fix.

Originally Posted by GloriousZote

Whoo boy THIS. Racial and Background starting gear would be really nice honestly.
Then again, I think having your gear locked to your class is really kind of not very D&D of the game. I know they're trying to kick the player out the door and into the adventure, but that sort of homogenization really is the antithesis of D&D.
I get that they're just going with "starting equipment" aspect of 5e but man... I'd really appreciate that extra level of polish at the start of the game.

Last edited by Ol Blue Hat; 26/10/20 01:27 PM.
Originally Posted by Ol Blue Hat
Originally Posted by GloriousZote

[font:Verdana][color:#3366FF]
Whoo boy THIS. Racial and Background starting gear would be really nice honestly.
Then again, I think having your gear locked to your class is really kind of not very D&D of the game. I know they're trying to kick the player out the door and into the adventure, but that sort of homogenization really is the antithesis of D&D.
I get that they're just going with "starting equipment" aspect of 5e but man... I'd really appreciate that extra level of polish at the start of the game.

Yeah, starting equipment should be based on Class AND Background. I also would like to see the appearance of your starting equipment based on your Race. I.e. While an Elf Fighter and Dwarf Fighter could both start off with chain mail, the armor they start off with would look elven for the Elf, and dwarven for the Dwarf; A dwarf and an elf would still be able to wear each other's variants, but the armor they start off with would have an appropriate appearance.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard