Originally Posted by kanisatha

No, I don't need the game to tell me how to play my character. To the contrary, what I want is for the game to recognize and acknowledge my good actions as good actions. And for that, the game needs an objective frame of reference through which to decide what is "good" and what is something else. If such a frame of reference does not exist, then my good actions are no different from your evil actions.

I'd argue the game should acknowledge your actions with reactions.
Assigning "labels" do those reactions is restrictive and doesn't really serve any purpose.

For example;

You save a man being robbed on the road by bandits (Good)
Except the man is actually a necromancer preying on the children of the village (Bad)
So you confront the necromancer, only to discover he's attempting to bring back his brother (the mayors) daughter? (Bad .. messy?)
So you kill the necromancer. Unfortunately, he's also the only apothecary the village has, so now they're furious with you? (Good.. but messy?)
You present the village with evidence he's been kidnapping children! (Good)
They respond by saying that losing some of their children for the sake of the villages survival is worth it! (Evil)
You burn the village down and murder everyone in response (... good?... but bad?)