Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
At the goblin camp, I wormed and BSed my way into the ruined temple on the way to killing the three Absolute leaders. I rescued Volo and Halsin, and figured I'd postpone exploring the Underdark off of Priestess Gut's area for later.

Turns out that's where Halsin sends me.

So at any rate, I need to get back at the temple through the goblin camp. But now when I approach the temple, every goblin from the outdoor area up and attacks me en masse. There are probably at least fifteen of them, which makes for rather slow combat. I tried teleporting into the goblin camp waypoint: that led to a very difficult fight. I tried just going through the blighted village, which is NOT hostile, and making a stand at the goblin gate, but so far I am eventually overrun by the horde of them. This includes the ogre (?) who guarded the temple door, and who is a big stack of hit points. My party is now level 4. I can do a fair amount of damage to the army but I eventually get worn down.

Is there a way to get past there without fighting them all at once? Can the spider well take me there? Or do I just have to keep trying until I get all the luck, or just grind elsewhere until I get a few more levels on this fight?

Quæ tam fera immanisque natura! ~ Cicero
N
old hand
old hand
N
Do you want to explore the underdark or specifically go to selune temple? Cause there are 4 ways to go to the underdark in act 1.

If it's selune temple, you can get inside the temple from a shortcut on the right side of the goblin camp. It requires a bit of jumping but you can avoid most of the fights.

Last edited by Nyanko; 22/10/20 10:57 AM.
Or you can stack up on explosives, Misty step on the highest tower (the one to the right from the main door (ogre's point of view) and give them a hell of a party. Granted I did this on exiting the building in style thinking no one will know about the carnage inside but it was glorious!

You could also just load a save from the inside of the sanctum, unlock the moon door and head to the basement since there's a waypoint probably put in plače exactly so one could avoid this problem smile

N
old hand
old hand
N
Honestly, if your party is level 4, you should have no trouble in the goblins camp. They usually come per waves, 15 max. They are around 12 HP each so no big deal. Good positioning, kitting a little if you must, but they are pretty easy to overcome.

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
There's a ladder right by the waypoint of the goblin camp that leads up to a ridge with plenty of room to move around. Climb to the top, destroy the ladder once you're up there so the goblins can't get up there and then rain hell and damnation down on them. That's what I do. Works everytime. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

Once you've killed everything you can just fast travel to the same waypoint down below to collect your goodies, since you destroyed the ladder.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by DarkRob316
There's a ladder right by the waypoint of the goblin camp that leads up to a ridge with plenty of room to move around. Climb to the top, destroy the ladder once you're up there so the goblins can't get up there and then rain hell and damnation down on them. That's what I do. Works everytime. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

Once you've killed everything you can just fast travel to the same waypoint down below to collect your goodies, since you destroyed the ladder.

I initially used the alternate entrance - the one you access by climbing the vines by the "Owlbear run" area. You go up there, kill the drunk/sleeping bugbears, and then have someone who has a bludgeoning weapon smash through the wall (Gale used his quarterstaff...LOL). Then you can head back out that way.

When you exit, you're fine, even though everyone is hostile. Only around half of them have ranged weapons, and they usually can't hit you because you have elevation on them. The ogre might try and throw a single boulder. Take out the archers/spellcasters first, since they are the only ones who can even hit you. Once they're gone, the melee goblins are totally helpless.

Last edited by Telephasic; 23/10/20 03:27 AM.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks, everyone, I eventually got past this by separating Laeral and having her rile the goblins solo and draw them towards the bridge that leads to the main entrance, There, I had her and my drow cleric tank the melee goblins and keep them away from Astarion and Gale, who spoinked at the casters and archers while tossing grease, oil, and fire at the entrance where they had collected.

I would have preferred not to have killed any of them, but they got in the way.....

journeyman
journeyman
Yeah, I just killed the group with the warg, then the small camp with "Tribe" girl, then moved to the bridge. A combination of grease, oil barrels, etc. and flaming arrows / fire bolt and pulling back along the bridge pretty much wiped out the whole keep, I had a couple of small fights afterwards to totally clear out my new summer rental.

K
K
I just used the quick travel point in the camp killed the bug bear and went up the ladder and jumped down into the upper courtyard area and range attacked everyone. from the balcony.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
FWIW, with the bosses in the temple the chief issue came from them summoning allies as soon as they were attacked, so I made sure that no one was there to answer the call. There were still some goblins in the front of the temple, and when I returned they too were hostile, but there were a lot fewer than eighteen of them and they posed no problem. Minthara just died after I threw a caustic bulb at her; she and her minion just stood there taking damage and speechifying until he eventually died and she was one-shottable. That's probably a glitch. Never had a talk with her; the nifty amulet of speak with dead I have did no good. Only one that posed a problem at all was Ragzlin, and that mostly because he couldn't be separated from his followers.

One hint is to always destroy any drums you see. Is there any way to save the goblin in a cage who preaches about his loyalty to Wossname? I have a cage key to let him out, but every time, Astarion would fail to see a trap and we'd end up taking massive damage, and the goblin died.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Minthara died by falling down a chasm after a bridge burned out under her in my game. Didn't even get to loot her body.

Last edited by Telephasic; 23/10/20 03:30 AM.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Telephasic
Minthara died by falling down a chasm after a bridge burned out under her in my game. Didn't even get to loot her body.

That may be unfortunate; for me she dropped a very nice blue one handed mace that works quite nicely with my main's Absolute gear, called Xymande or some such.

Link Copied to Clipboard