Originally Posted by kanisatha

Yes this is what I'm saying as well, though you said it way better than me. I am all for in-game stories that push some companions to stick with me and others to revolt/leave. But the key is that there ought to be enough companions overall in the game for me to draw on as replacements, and not just random replacements but reasonably equivalent replacements.

I can get behind that. And I see why people are so concerned with number of companions. Again, I don't know for certain, but based on Larian's vague "you have to commit" statement and how it went in Dos2, I'm pretty sure the plan right now is to somehow make most companions unavailable after act 1, and if that's the case, it's hard for me to believe Larian will put the time and effort in more than 2-3 extra companions. But I think we already established that Larian made a very stupid choice here

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."