Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Originally Posted by vel
It's almost like they forgot to study why Diablo's loot system is so addictive

BG3's millions of empty containers are a fail.

It's almost like the 2 games are from completely different genres or something. Weird!

vel Offline
Originally Posted by Osprey39
Originally Posted by vel

It's almost like the 2 games are from completely different genres or something. Weird!

Pathfinder Kingmaker has an area loot. Pillars of Eternity has very little useless container clutter. Many tactical RPGs have some form of auto loot. It's difficult to argue that manually interacting with dozens of containers in a room to find that one healing potion of "fun" in a 2020 RPG.

Diablo 3 absolutely mastered the Vegas psychology of intermittent loot, irrespective of ARPG vs CRPG.

Excuse me while I go check the tenth crate.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Sometimes I'm actually tempted to "trash the room" when I am done looking through containers. Just attack them until everything is gone.

The only place I've really noticed a lot of stuff in crates though is in the tollhouse. There's so much food in there, and as long as food is good for healing, it's incredibly valuable.

old hand
old hand
[Linked Image]

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Telephasic
Sometimes I'm actually tempted to "trash the room" when I am done looking through containers. Just attack them until everything is gone.

The only place I've really noticed a lot of stuff in crates though is in the tollhouse. There's so much food in there, and as long as food is good for healing, it's incredibly valuable.

Just wait for the fireball spell. Will work miracles for you.

Originally Posted by vel
Originally Posted by Osprey39
Originally Posted by vel

Pathfinder Kingmaker has an area loot. Pillars of Eternity has very little useless container clutter. Many tactical RPGs have some form of auto loot. It's difficult to argue that manually interacting with dozens of containers in a room to find that one healing potion of "fun" in a 2020 RPG.

Diablo 3 absolutely mastered the Vegas psychology of intermittent loot, irrespective of ARPG vs CRPG.

Excuse me while I go check the tenth crate.

I was taking exception to your example, not the underlying issue of too many empty containers. Comparing an ARPG, where you typically 'open' containers by breaking them en masse with some kind of AE spell, to a game like BG3 is not a fair comparison. If you take the toll house for example, lots of crates in there but the rooms are fairly small. In an ARPG, you could break everything in there in 1, maybe 2 AE casts per room.

I can recall plenty of places in Diablo 3 that had as many containers in them, the underground temple in the desert comes to mind immediately, but they are easily 'opened' by spamming AE spells on them. The gameplay is just too different for a fair comparison.

Last edited by Osprey39; 27/10/20 09:59 AM.
N
old hand
old hand
N
They will have to do an area loot anyway, when they bring in the controllers. Just like they did in DOS 2.

G
addict
addict
G
The food should not be usable in combat then. Only actual potions or special items.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by vel
Why have so many empty containers interactive in the first place? As noted, they're a distraction.

Because they are interact-able objects - you can pick them up, move them, stand on them, throw them, out something inside and throw them.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by gaymer
The food should not be usable in combat then. Only actual potions or special items.

I agree with this. Ain't nobody got time to eat a ham sandwich in the middle of a battle.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Movable and interactable containers such as barrels and crates have become a staple part of Larian's games.
I doubt anyone actually enjoys playing a Dungeon Janitor that systematically sweeps through every container just in case one of them happens to contain a healing potion or spell scroll, but I can still appreciate the containers' presence for the sake of serving as decoration, stage set pieces and movable scenery.

I think the easiest way for them to remain in the game without causing people to feel like they're wasting their time scooping through them all would be to add the (empty) suffix that becomes present once you've already opened the container once. It'd allow us to keep them in the areas without slowing down the game every time you enter a new cellar full crates.

veteran
veteran
I still vote for grouploot. :P

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
journeyman
journeyman
Less containers, and an option so the current closes when opening another would be nice.

V
V
if they insist on keeping them at least give some form of auto or area loot and drastically decrease the amount of interactable bookshelves, potion shelves, cupboards and candles. Most of them do not serve a single purpose. The dipping mechanic can just as well be done when you are in the vicinity of a flame source that is otherwise not interactable. It is just too much clutter.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Just keep the containers as they are but change the icon to indicate whether there is something to loot or if it's only some piece of furniture we can move around.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by vel
Why have so many empty containers interactive in the first place? As noted, they're a distraction.

Because they are interact-able objects - you can pick them up, move them, stand on them, throw them, out something inside and throw them.

Just make them non-lootable please. Move the barrels, pick them up, throw them sure. But if there's nothing inside I don't want to have to check.
Originally Posted by VincentNZ
if they insist on keeping them at least give some form of auto or area loot and drastically decrease the amount of interactable bookshelves, potion shelves, cupboards and candles. Most of them do not serve a single purpose. The dipping mechanic can just as well be done when you are in the vicinity of a flame source that is otherwise not interactable. It is just too much clutter.

Oh yes pls less bookshelves, especially when each row of a bookshelf is individually lootable...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard