Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
addict
addict
G
Personally, I'm getting a lot of uncanny valley whenever there are close-ups of my character. It's really off-putting. It isn't usually as bad with NPCs.

If there are going to be close-ups, I'd rather they all be from the perspective of my character and never see them from the outside.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Maerd
Originally Posted by fallenj
[quote=Tzelanit]
Truthfully I wouldn't want that, getting stuck with one voice actor/actress for a custom character. This would limit character creation with character looking off compared to the way he/she sounds. This happened in fallout 4, you also take away youtubers that roll play the voice of the character.

Specifically for 10 youtubers... well let's imagine the crazy sales in dozens of million copies, so, 100 youtubers for whom it's important they can make an option to voice protagonist on/off with "on" as a default. The rest of the population will happily listen to them voiced. And why are you going to be "stuck"? For example, I like Shadowheart's voice but if I choose her as my protagonist I'll never hear speaking at all, and this is bad.

Youtubers aside, "locked" means we could (theoretically) either have a dozen or so voices if most of the dialogue wasn't fully voice acted or the current four voices when every line needs to be voiced. In a game with so many dialogue lines, it's a massive amount of work to add even one more voice. So we're not getting a gruff dwarf voice, a hammy barbarian voice, a sneaky bastard voice, a pretentious wizard voice etc. We're stuck with the four we have now and I highly doubt we're going to get any more than that if everything needs to be fully voice acted.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by grysqrl
Personally, I'm getting a lot of uncanny valley whenever there are close-ups of my character. It's really off-putting. It isn't usually as bad with NPCs.

If there are going to be close-ups, I'd rather they all be from the perspective of my character and never see them from the outside.

I hadn't considered this either. I don't wanna get greedy here, but having multiple options for how the conversation camera is angled would be great.

I'd love to see something like:

-Default (as it stands now)
-Classic (standard world map view with text boxes)
-First-person (which would be amazing)

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
I actually don't mind looking at my character in the third person. Since I knew the game wasn't POV, I made sure she was a cute half drow. She seems to smile/nod at the proper points.

The rest of the party looming creepily in the background - even if they aren't even in the same area - is really weird though.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester

Youtubers aside, "locked" means we could (theoretically) either have a dozen or so voices if most of the dialogue wasn't fully voice acted or the current four voices when every line needs to be voiced. In a game with so many dialogue lines, it's a massive amount of work to add even one more voice. So we're not getting a gruff dwarf voice, a hammy barbarian voice, a sneaky bastard voice, a pretentious wizard voice etc. We're stuck with the four we have now and I highly doubt we're going to get any more than that if everything needs to be fully voice acted.

But the problem is that you don't have ANY voices. You choose the protagonist and his/her voice and... your protagonist never speaks except for few places during the map exploration.

stranger
stranger
Didn't Swen say in a Reddit AMA that all custom characters would be fully voiced? I'm guessing that hasn't been implemented yet, which is why our PC stands around silently during convos.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Uncle Lester

But the problem is that you don't have ANY voices. You choose the protagonist and his/her voice and... your protagonist never speaks except for few places during the map exploration.

Ok, I could have been clearer. Iirc (someone correct me if I'm wrong) we've been told that the protagonist (custom or origin) will have full voice acting and the current silence is just an EA thing (or it's been at least hinted at). I think some people reported their custom protagonists speaking their lines on one occasion, which would further hint at it.

Then there's the matter that the characters should speak more when exploring, but for now it's just a suggestion.

Last edited by Uncle Lester; 26/10/20 08:19 PM.
stranger
stranger
Yup. Here's an excerpt from the Reddit ama.

Q: Will custom (non origin) characters have Voice Acting, or is it for for origin characters only?

Adam: Hello! Yes, custom characters will have voice acting - you’ll choose a voice as part of character creation.

Q: That's the real question. An answer like Adams is technically correct but doesn't get at what we're looking for - will lines be voiced etc. in similar ways for origin vs. non.

We get they'll have voice lines... that's basic.

Adam: They'll have full voice acting, just like origins!

Last edited by tangelo1023; 26/10/20 08:18 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
I actually agree, and like this idea. Especially if talking to someone that has nothing new/else to say; or a generic merchant.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by fallenj
[quote=Tzelanit]
Truthfully I wouldn't want that, getting stuck with one voice actor/actress for a custom character. This would limit character creation with character looking off compared to the way he/she sounds. This happened in fallout 4, you also take away youtubers that roll play the voice of the character.

Specifically for 10 youtubers... well let's imagine the crazy sales in dozens of million copies, so, 100 youtubers for whom it's important they can make an option to voice protagonist on/off with "on" as a default. The rest of the population will happily listen to them voiced. And why are you going to be "stuck"? For example, I like Shadowheart's voice but if I choose her as my protagonist I'll never hear speaking at all, and this is bad.

If they made a voiced custom character, there will be no "off switch", if anything I'd have to wait for a mod. Both examples I gave focused on one theme, limiting the RP in RPG.

Last edited by fallenj; 26/10/20 08:35 PM.
addict
OP Offline
addict
Not sure how we dipped into voice-acting.
Anyhow, getting roped into random NPC conversations that feel substantial when they aren't because there's only one camera view for conversations just wears on me.
It makes every other conversation of import seem less substantial by comparison.

It's not that I don't appreciate the hard work or attention to detail, I just feel like it's squandering resources and applying systems too universally.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Tzelanit
Not sure how we dipped into voice-acting.
Anyhow, getting roped into random NPC conversations that feel substantial when they aren't because there's only one camera view for conversations just wears on me.
It makes every other conversation of import seem less substantial by comparison.

It's not that I don't appreciate the hard work or attention to detail, I just feel like it's squandering resources and applying systems too universally.

I don't even think it's draining resources, they probably don't have custom animations for those very short close-ups. It's just quite tiring/cumbersome/annoying for the player. Most games with cinematic approaches I can think of don't have this problem and solve it in the same simple way I've mentioned earlier. No cinematics for oneliners (unless they are great oneliners that have meaningful acting attached to them). Witcher, Dragon Age, TES (iirc).

old hand
old hand
Is there any cinematic TB action shots? Xcom has them, Solasta does each with frequency sliders, would love to have an option for them in BG3 which is more beautiful than both. I may not even mind to have them every time.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Horrorscope
Is there any cinematic TB action shots? Xcom has them, Solasta does each with frequency sliders, would love to have an option for them in BG3 which is more beautiful than both. I may not even mind to have them every time.

Oh see, I like that idea. A frequency slider for those lesser scenes could be good as long as there's some distinction that's blatantly made well-known. I don't want to assume that every time I get into a cutscene conversation that what's happening is going to be substantial and noteworthy. I feel like there's a way to tweak that to make it viable.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard