Originally Posted by Eiken
i don't think rtwp is either needed or inherently better by itself, it was useful in bg/nwn to hide autoattacks from player allowing me to focus on few spellcasters that actually required my attention, with all auto stuff happening in background
my problem with bg3 is that it feels like a dos game with core mechanics replaced with dnd rules - except dos core mechanics had huge emphasis on each of your own turns, and these 20 hours of lvl 4 dnd just mostly don't
there're ways to achieve what rtwp did while still remaining turn based: fixing ai getting stuck is a start, making ai not instantly target your wizard would help, getting to higher levels quicker, switching encounter design from "horde of simple enemies" to "few powerful enemies", expanding party from 4 to 6 - all would help turning focus away from "watching autoattacks". or just an option like in other turn based games without emphasis on each turn: skip or greatly speed up animation - this way gameplay shifts to more of a back-and-forth level

Great summary of what we're talking about when it comes to combat length.

One thing that comes to my mind when it comes to more powerful enemies I just feel they don't necessarily need to have their dmg scale over the roof. Normally different enemies require different approaches and spells. Right now it's pretty much the case even if Minotaurs do ..... what they do.
Minotaurs might be a great example of how not to design fights tbh.

I don't see a problem with one guy like this going after your mage, or a rogue going invisible and also running toward your spell caster. That's why you have your mage armor for in the end.

But two of them meant inevitable death for your mage.

Last edited by virion; 27/10/20 10:01 PM.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.