Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
addict
addict
I think they should fix the ladders climbing cost first.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Zellin
+1000

veteran
veteran
They should at least give the "long range" spells a 90ft. range so there would at least be a long range / medium range dynamic. It adds tactical depth to be able to cast a Fire Bolt but not a Hold Person at 80ft.

I don't think elevation should just flat out increase range like it does in BG3 either. Gravity should mess up ranged weapons pretty effectively at long range and spells could easily dissipate. The *really* far arcing shots from high ground that have advantage and a 94% hit chance feel very wrong in BG3. Not only do those shots feel like they should never be anywhere near that accurate but also it should never be easier to hit a target 120ft. away than another 20ft. away, regardless of elevation.

Long range should always have an attack penalty and high ground shouldn't grant Advantage in the first place.

journeyman
journeyman
yeah i don't get the nerf to eldritch blast range either. its very unnecessary

A
stranger
stranger
A

+1

veteran
veteran
I believe they should fix ability to climb the ladders first. laugh

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I believe they should fix ability to climb the ladders first. laugh

Yeah... climbing ladders is borked in patch 5. I just bumped this old thread because the limiting range puts the emphasis on Melee, Melee, Melee, which totally nerfs range builds. This affects stealth ranged "sneak attacks" from rogue classes as well, as they cannot get "advantage" outside of these short range parameters.

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
This game world is not large enough to allow for d&d ranges. You cannot even see/detect villains as far away as the standard bow range, meaning they are not drawn that far away. Unfortunately, technical limitations are going to be a real factor.

It helps to think of the world kind of like a realtime strategy game - distances, sizes, etc are adjusted so that the temple is only a few hundred yards from the druid grove instead of the actual distance of many miles it would have to be to make it unlikely for the goblins to have found it yet.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Nebuul
This game world is not large enough to allow for d&d ranges. You cannot even see/detect villains as far away as the standard bow range, meaning they are not drawn that far away. Unfortunately, technical limitations are going to be a real factor.

The thing I keep wanting to shout about on this score is....

They have the budget for a triple A game, the freedom and leeway to create an entirely new engine for their game, if they wished, in order to house a new set of game rules.

They have and were given all the freedom in the world to get this right.

So when we're left saying things like "Their world space isn't big enough to do it properly" and "Their engine doesn't draw things far enough away to implement the mechanics correctly", and use the words "technical limitations" like and excuse or a shield.... Whose Fault Is That!?

Sorry. It's just so frustrating at times....

Last edited by Niara; 24/08/21 08:05 AM.
veteran
veteran
Agree with Niara. We are talking about 120ft. (36m) or 150ft. (45m) for a Longbow. Not some extreme ranges beyond engine limitations. Capping all ranged combat to 18m is ridiculous and makes tactical combat far less interesting. Anyone can dash the full range of a Longbow in a single turn and you get to fire ONE arrow at best IF you win initiative before you have a sword in your face. It's stupid.

Last edited by 1varangian; 24/08/21 08:56 AM.
U
apprentice
apprentice
U
Kinda feels like we're playing different games - I did the Underdark Spectator fight from Underdark Fort. Also looks like some of you need to take a ruler and go measure 120 ft. outside...

U
apprentice
apprentice
U
your fault for not having good equipment

Originally Posted by UV01
your fault for not having good equipment

Like what equipment are you referring to? In game? In game I use +1 longbows (should be 150ft range), and my sneak attack range is still short with a Drow with superior darkvision out to 120feet (36.5 meters)... The game is limiting it to 18 meters (59 feet), though if you are not playing a rogue you likely wont notice the range limitation near as much as you wont be limited to 18m down hill, UNLESS you are trying to SNEAK Attack. That's where the shorter range shows up and rears it's ugly head with "You don't have advantage".

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Originally Posted by VDA
I'm sure a lot of other issues have been posted about, but in DnD some builds have an amazing range they can operate at and in BG3 this range is nerfed. Some examples:

Firebolt ( normal range 120 feet, BG3 range 60 feet )
Eldritch Blast ( normal range 120 feet, Eldritch Spear range 300 ft, BG3 range 60 feet )
Longbows ( can shoot without disadvantage at 150 feet, can shoot with disadvantage up to 600 feet )

Now I am not saying that we should be able to shoot 600 feet away, that would be a bit too much, but 120 feet should be fine. The issue with limiting those spells is that:

1. You nerf what makes the spell special. Firebolt and EBlast being 120 feet is part of their balance. By nerfing their range by half and giving nothing in return, you just nerf a class for no reason. And Warlock really doesn't need nerfs.

2. By making the range cap at 60 feet that means any melee with a Dash can get in your face which is not good and needlessly nerfs casters/ranged characters by putting them in extra danger that they shouldn't be in.

3. 60 feet max range severely limits the advantage of getting to high ground and making use of angles and cover

The best thing Larian did is make this easily mod-able. If you go to nexus, there are many many mods that are working on implementing the RAW (Rules As Written). Each patch means these moders have to update their work, but by the time the game is finished, just about anything you want for the game will be available to you.

The trickier obstacle would be tweaking the AI, or so I would imagine. This too will be eventually moded to make the game more challenging. Just think Skyrim...it is all the mods that make that game worth replaying (including ones that made game-play more enjoyable). Remember the mods throw all this "balancing" off.

I am grateful to see the single player RPG coming back into vogue. I applaud the efforts of Larian for creating such a beautiful engine. If they publish a product that lets us create and use custom modules with it, call it a huge win.

To be clear I have personally used multiple mods already, and enjoyed playing a Hexblade Warlock. I did see a mod that restored all the ranges properly, but it wasn't on nexus...that will happen I am sure...be patient.

Originally Posted by Van'tal
Originally Posted by VDA
I'm sure a lot of other issues have been posted about, but in DnD some builds have an amazing range they can operate at and in BG3 this range is nerfed. Some examples:

Firebolt ( normal range 120 feet, BG3 range 60 feet )
Eldritch Blast ( normal range 120 feet, Eldritch Spear range 300 ft, BG3 range 60 feet )
Longbows ( can shoot without disadvantage at 150 feet, can shoot with disadvantage up to 600 feet )

Now I am not saying that we should be able to shoot 600 feet away, that would be a bit too much, but 120 feet should be fine. The issue with limiting those spells is that:

1. You nerf what makes the spell special. Firebolt and EBlast being 120 feet is part of their balance. By nerfing their range by half and giving nothing in return, you just nerf a class for no reason. And Warlock really doesn't need nerfs.

2. By making the range cap at 60 feet that means any melee with a Dash can get in your face which is not good and needlessly nerfs casters/ranged characters by putting them in extra danger that they shouldn't be in.

3. 60 feet max range severely limits the advantage of getting to high ground and making use of angles and cover

The best thing Larian did is make this easily mod-able. If you go to nexus, there are many many mods that are working on implementing the RAW (Rules As Written). Each patch means these moders have to update their work, but by the time the game is finished, just about anything you want for the game will be available to you.

The trickier obstacle would be tweaking the AI, or so I would imagine. This too will be eventually moded to make the game more challenging. Just think Skyrim...it is all the mods that make that game worth replaying (including ones that made game-play more enjoyable). Remember the mods throw all this "balancing" off.

I am grateful to see the single player RPG coming back into vogue. I applaud the efforts of Larian for creating such a beautiful engine. If they publish a product that lets us create and use custom modules with it, call it a huge win.

To be clear I have personally used multiple mods already, and enjoyed playing a Hexblade Warlock. I did see a mod that restored all the ranges properly, but it wasn't on nexus...that will happen I am sure...be patient.

Mods are all fine and good, but I want to be able to play the game with proper ranges without needing any Mods.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard