Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Just finished the game and, like many others, was disappointed with the ending. I've seen lots of discourse around this and many good points being made, feedback being offered.

Some of the feedback was to add panels at the end describing the outcomes of our actions. Another option mentioned was to have one last camp celebration.

I wanted to start a thread in favor of the latter and maybe start a conversation about which one the community would prefer.

Obviously, having both would be the ideal outcome.
We get to have one last hangout at camp (or in the city depending on the ending; camp might not make sense for certain choices), talk to the characters we care about, then pick a dialogue option (maybe with the romance character or Withers) or click on the campfire (same as when ending the day) to end the camp instance. And only after that do the panels roll and we get to see outcomes for the world beyond our characters in camp.

If we only get one of the two (panels vs camp), I think I'd prefer camp for the primary reason that it just... feels more real?
I've always felt iffy about games just ending with panels. They feel too detached. With a camp hangout, you'd have agency in checking out each character and you can also just breathe in your journey, just stand around then end it on your own terms.

Thoughts?

Z
stranger
stranger
Z
Weel nice to see I've been read smile
Thanks for starting a dedicated topic on that.

At the end of my playthrough (Good oriented with in depth exploration. Romanced Karlach, freed Orpheus and let him be the needed mind flayer to destroy the Elder brain), Gale suggested to go in a tavern and have a drink, idea that seemed to get approval around in the party and I was really expecting to play that scene.

Most of the characters in the party have some ending cutscene but the process feels queued and what happens is a bit off... it's quite hard to find the right words to describe it.
You get to choose some things or tweak their decision in some way but you don't really have the opportunity to know how they feel or see the result of the journey.

During act 1 and 2 mostly you get to know them and get feedback on each other, what is at stake or their feeling about what have happened but in the end this aspect is really thin.
I would love to hang around without an ongoing threat and just enjoy the moment.

When you think about it, (as far as I know) the sole celebration time is after gob/druid resolution in act 1. Act 2 is really more sober for that matter but it fits the story because what you discover can be disturbing, and Act 3 have nothing as a celebration aside from the cheering crowd when mind flayers are defeated... why ???
The story needs more closure about the characters and the world related to you actions. I understand from the sheer amount of possibilities this is a tremendous job, but I really think it would improve the experience by a LOT.

The camp scene is just a suggestion to reach that goal while giving agency and a lighter pace than chained cutscene... I don't know all the possible endings so maybe something is more fitting for the other kind of playthrough. Just giving my angle here.

Last edited by Zarkias; 17/09/23 02:06 AM.
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Originally Posted by Zarkias
At the end of my playthrough (Good oriented with in depth exploration. Romanced Karlach, freed Orpheus and let him be the needed mind flayer to destroy the Elder brain), Gale suggested to go in a tavern and have a drink, idea that seemed to get approval around in the party and I was really expecting to play that scene.

Same!
I was really confused when the cutscenes just moved on. I guess the celebration happens offscreen.

Originally Posted by Zarkias
I don't know all the possible endings so maybe something is more fitting for the other kind of playthrough. Just giving my angle here.

The different endings are probably the biggest hurdle.
I was good oriented in my playthrough too but I know
the evil ending involves taking control of the Elder Brain in a bid to rule the world.
I can see how a camp/tavern celebration wouldn't fit in that scenario, though if they implement both panels and a celebration for the epilogue then a simple solution would be to just cut out the celebration if you go down that route.

apprentice
apprentice
A "camp" scene (which wouldn't need to happen in the camp) would have been so nice! Then we could take things more on our of pace. I felt it was emotionally hard to transit from one character's cut scene to another and then another and another. I would have wanted a moment to reflect what just happened and what was said and then continue when I was ready. I don't think I would have needed more than like 15 seconds or so, but still. A camp scene would have been a good environment to do just that.

So if it was just one or the other, I'd take the camp scene.

However, I think that the story would also benefit from having cut scenes about what choises we made during our gameplay and how it affected the world.

stranger
stranger
It's cool to see discussion about this; I had hoped my post with suggestion of postcard epilogues would also make people think about new possibilities! Thanks!

I'm actually all in for something like a "camp" party (maybe in a tavern?) at the end of the game, where we could talk with our companions and NPC allies. I think most players love the aspect of roleplaying in games like BGIII, so it's obvious that we, as both our characters in-game and players, would want to know what all those characters plan to do about their lives post-battle, if we will be maybe sharing those plans, and how they feel about all of this. This is also why in my post the first example of image rolling out after an ending with credits was that "party choice" and celebration. I feel this is an important point storywise, both for in-game characters and those who follow their stories as players. At this exact point, the story should have a conclusion and some form of summary, and "last camp" would be perfect for this, even if you decide that after the final battle you will do something different than partying. I think this would also be an ideal in-story circle to that "first celebration camp" in the first act, and as a player, you could see firstly the difference in scale that your actions brought upon all, then the change in companion attitudes towards being some kind of hero and towards the world around them, and especially how the world receives our character now (this is the most important point for the DU characters probably).

Unfortunately, I do understand the hardships of changing things you did previously and how troublesome it can get from the point of view of the creator. That's why I suggested just images in a kind of postcard format based on things we already have in-game. That would probably be a lot easier to do than making new cinematics or creating new scenes and then implementing them in the game. From a game recipient perspective, I just really want to see some solid closure and conclusion for the story and characters; that's the most important for me. The format of how it will be done comes in second place.

But of course, if both of those ideas had been used, I would've cried from happiness, seriously. That would be a "dream come true" situation! We can only hope that in the end, Larian will deliver us the best solution for this. wink

If anyone wants to see my post with "the postcard epilogues" idea, it's HERE.

C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

old hand
old hand
LOL I know!! I’m pumped too!

T
addict
addict
T
Really Cool but for real..
i really dont Care anymore for any new stuff they add to this Game.
i Just want it Running so i can Finish my Stuff and move from this game already.
The amount of Disappointment and Frustration that this Game has coused me in my Real Life already passed the Safe zone.
( so Too litle, Too Late in my opinion..)

Just Make the Game Run and i will be Pleased enought
dont need any new Hug, Ending or anything better. dont care anymore.
(I just dont Expect anything from larian or the game anymore.. at least not something Good.)

Now i only Expect Bad things coming from evry patch or Hotfix they released..haha
im not Joking.. i dont expect that this Patch 5 will solve actually anything..
in worste case scenario.. will only Broke the Game more.

(If they Had Gave us the New Ending slides Before Braking the entire Game in 3.0 for the Sake of a Few Fans.. i would not have been so Pissed off with this entire situation that this game is at the moment.)
and for Real..
i dont Beleave i will ever Buy anything larian made again.. thats was the First and the Last time i wasted my time and Money with then as company.
(And i start to See around the Net that im not the Only One feeling this..)

Last edited by Thorvic; 29/11/23 11:50 PM.
addict
addict
Let's just hope that game doesn't break down as it usually does...

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty

Link Copied to Clipboard