Originally Posted by robertthebard
Originally Posted by Sludge Khalid
Originally Posted by Peranor
Even if i'm undetected and make a successful roll for pickpocket the NPC somehow still knows I stole from them a few seconds later. Is it supposed to work like that or am I missing something?
I've noticed you can cheese it by promptly fast travel away after a successful pickpocket and just wait them out. But that doesnt feel right either.

Here’s the deal: Larian want to avoid stealing try and error and save scumming. Therefore they’ve added this DOS2 mechanisms where the NPC will check if their belongings are still there. This mechanic is just silly and the fact that you can steal a merchant is even more silly.

Sleight of hand should be used in missions and so on, not to become a rich person.

BG2 added a mechanism in some of the main merchants that they cannot be robbed. That helps to sustain the game economy. There’s only a few merchants that can be stolen and even so you could be spending your money to buy that goods because the amount of gold gained through quests was enough to purchase everything you possibly wanted.

Going that path is again going for the divinityzation.

Hmm, I used to pickpocket NPCs in TT sessions, before 4e. Wait, that means I was doing it before Larian "invented" it. A distracted NPC is less likely to notice a pickpocket attempt, that's why you see pickpockets doing things like bump and grabs, it distracts the mark momentarily, and you move off in the crowd, because you know they're going to figure out it sooner or later. So it's very much a viable way to get rich.

Using TT in your argument isn’t helping you. In TT you don’t have savescum. Next.

Some ppl use TT when it’s convenient, when is not TT sucks. Oh damn