Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Hi everybody,

Am I the only one thinking that books are visually completely out of context ?
I'll explain but please, just look at this in game picture first.

[Linked Image]

FEEDBACK
- The text font is one of the most commonly used and most impersonnal font : Times New Roman if I'm not wrong.
- The book is curved in the middle and so is the paper, not the text.
- Whatever you find a brief, a book, a scroll or just a sheet of paper, the window allowing us to read always represents a book
- The "back of the sheet" is always empty, even when you turn the pages.

=> According to this, I think all of us can agree that it looks like a text pasted on a picture rather than a book.

SUGGESTION
- Change the font so it suits a little bit more to a fantasy setting.
- Find a way to curve the text so it suits the books and/or consider people started to write a little bit more on the right and/or just adjust the design of the book so the curve start a little bit more in the middle.
- Maybe some sort of filter could be used to increase the integration of the text on the paper.
- Don't use books if it's not. A medium that corresponds to the object would improve the credibility of the experience.
- When you use books, both sides of the sheets should be used, as if they were really written by someone.

Not sure it's really a placeholder or not, but it was a little bit the same in original sin 2 according to that picture : https://i.imgur.com/MjG5Bke.png

Any feeling about that ?
I know it's not THE problem of the game but I really think this is an "easy" way to improve the feeling we're playing in a world that seems real (in its own reality).

Last edited by Maximuuus; 03/11/20 09:09 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
Sounds good. I don't see why not. It is pretty boring looking right now. As you alluded to, it's the same in DOS2. but I think the fewer similarities between the games' UI the better, not because there was something particularly wrong with DOS2 UI, but come on it's a new game give us new UI. and honestly, I think they will. If you look at Dos2 UI in EA it looked exactly like dos1 but they changed things up a bit.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
veteran
veteran
Admittedly I have very little problems with the font used.

I wouldn't be against a better one, but even looking around at other games I see way more chances to do worst than to do better.

I wouldn't mind a more pronounced use of visual elements (pictures, logos, maps, etc) rather than text describing them, but I guess that means more work for their artists.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
addict
addict
Agreed, it would be prefer something more artful or closer to the originals.

But it seems to be a carry over from DOS2 and will likely change.

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
I agree, I want lore books and the journal to look more like a medieval fantasy game. I liked the fancy illuminated first letters that the old BG games had. Basically I want books to look like that fancy book from the beginning of The Sword in the Stone.

Last edited by KingNothing69; 04/11/20 04:22 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard