My five coins on the runes: we can use them only after we find them. Seems it has some kind of authorisation process. And that pretty much closes all the questions about why enemies do not use them.
And the runes are not in the middle of a forest. We are not in the middle of a forest in the first act. Don't let the druid grove to fool you into mistaking the place for a forest. We are on a beach with the druid grove, 2 abandoned temples (one more like monastery), 1 village, 1 inn, 1 teahouse and 1 outpost nearby. If it isn't now, it was before highly populated with sapient humanoids area. And nearly each one of those runes placed near some "populated locality".
On the main topic. I wrote in my suggestions before and I'll repeat: the camp needs to get some more solid connection to the rest of the world like Larian did in their previous games. Preferably with addition of day/night cycle, which actually can make it easier to drag players in their camp. And that's enough without throwing the camp out of a window for no good reason.