One RPG I've been having a lot fun with recently is CrossCode...which is an indie puzzle-platformer/action RPG. One of the developers I believe is one of the people in the RPG Maker community that is known for doing high-quality bits and the game has a bit of that visual style of classic JRPGs. Though, again, it's an action RPG and not at all turn-based. Lots of dodging and switching modes. The puzzles are very clever, the music is amazing, and it's actually rather relaxing to just get on and wander about exploring, looking for some of the hidden optional jump-puzzles, fighting the enemies, and just generally experiencing the game.

Storyline is that it is far future and there is a planet, I forget the name of it, where a continent has been set aside as "The Playground". Here people will connect to Avatars generated by something called "Instant Matter" and basically have full-on MMO in actual physical place. This MMO is called "CrossWorld". After a short prologue where you play some lady called "Shizuka" trying to find her brother, you wake up as "Lea" on a ship outside of the Playground proper and told you're going to be put into the game because you have amnesia and the one thing they are sure of is that you had been a player in this game and maybe playing it will get your memory back.

Also, Lea is sort of mute. This is explained as a problem with a neuro-interface and once or twice other "players" will comment that they thought that didn't happen anymore. Over the course of the game, the tech guy supporting Lea will manages to program in a new word here and there (I'm...maybe halfway through the base game and I have, I think, 7 words.) It's both a wonderful bit of poking at the silent protagonist and a bit of representation for people are actually mute (the friend who introduced me to the game occasionally suffers from selective mutism and really loves this game). Lea's dialogue art is extremely expressive and she somehow manages to be extremely snarky even with a very limited vocabulary. Her expression when an NPC responds to her silence or single word replies as if she'd said a paragraph are especially amusing.

I'm not usually a fan of games with set characters (hence why there aren't that many JRPGs on my list) but this game is just delightful. The story has unexpected depths though it is not a branching storyline. And I just love Lea and the first friend she encounters among other players. Just very fun all around.