Originally Posted by Gamblerr
Okay, I wasn't going to post a response to this thread but my urge is too great.

Nobody, not Larian, not WotC, not gods, ghosts, or ghouls, are forcing you to romance or fuck anyone. The only character that has consistently come onto me through all playthroughs is Astarion which I think is only because I keep is affinity high.

In BG 2 the romance dialogues were extensive and had the PC build a relationship wuth the NPC first. Which means that from the player perspective, the player had control over whether the romance even starts, and plenty of room to break it if they decided they were not interested. By comparison, if you place the PC in the position of having to repeatedly say no, it takes away from the player control over the situation and puts them in a reactive position. And I can understand why some dislike it, or find it uncomfortable or upsetting.

Yes, it's only a fantasy game, but I still think the topic should be handled with more care by Larian. The choice of whether even start or pursue gives the player more power than the choice of " just say no".