Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by tsundokugames
Posting information and then misconstruing the evidence doesn't change the facts.

Here are the facts:

PC Games
Baldur's Gate was released on 30 November 1998. Baldur's Gate received positive reviews from virtually every major computer gaming publication that reviewed it. It sold about two million units quickly after release.

Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, was released in Sept. 2000, selling over 2 million units.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080409131841/http://www.bioware.com/bioware_info/about/

It took DOS2 until November 28, 2017 to reach 1 million units sold:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/divinity-o...ginal-sin-2-steam-launch-record-breaking

You're well known for misrepresenting facts to try and lie about them, Tuco.

No matter how you want to slice it, Baldur's Gate has always been more popular then DOS. DOS just happens to be current and modern - that's all it is ... pop culture that will be replaced by whatever fad comes next.

Meanwhile, people still play BG and BG2 in large numbers, with an active reddit community.

Nice, I didnt know the stats but it makes sense. I bet now half of the fanboys here are calling you the troll and those stats fake.

Originally Posted by Rhobar121
I just wonder if the people who complain about the story of BG3 and praise BG have actually played lately.
While the story of BG2 is really good, BG1 has grown old tragically and in terms of gameplay and story.

Wdym grown old tragically? Are you yet another Zoomer who dont comprehend cultic old games? Its been 20 years mate, show a game that has aged better in all those years. lol

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Jman919
Okay I started this thread for all it's worth. I love all the Baldur's Gate series, 3 included.

How do I put this...I don't think any of you answered the question. Maybe the info is not there.

But I will repeat the question....so how many copies of BG3 has been sold...if someone can answer this.

Thank you!

You already got the best answer currently available from the first replies, you are just purposefully choosing to ignore it for some ungodly reason.

The game already sold more than a million copies on Steam alone in this first month (which is honestly insane for an early access single player RPG).
How much more exactly, no one but Larian can tell yet.
And being Larian a private company they are under no obligation to tell anyone numbers, if they don't want to.

Last edited by Tuco; 09/11/20 06:13 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Shepherd81

Nice, I didnt know the stats but it makes sense. I bet now half of the fanboys here are calling you the troll and those stats fake.

He's objectively and conveniently ignoring publicly available data that contradicts his narrative.

From the very page he linked himself:

Baldur's Gate Series

MetaCritic Scores (as of February 2008):
Baldur's Gate: 91%
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn: 95%
Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal: 88%

The Baldur's Gate series: Baldur's Gate I, Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast, Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, and Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal have sold approximately 5 million units world-wide

Baldur's Gate, released in 1998, has sold over 2 million units for PC and has won many industry awards; in 1999, BioWare released Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast, a Baldur's Gate expansion pack. It debuted at #1 worldwide and sold over 600,000 units

Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, was released in Sept. 2000 and continued the award winning story line of the Baldur's Gate series, selling over 2 million units so far; in June 2001 Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal was released, the expansion pack to the award winning Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, and the conclusion to the Baldur's Gate series, selling more than 500,000 units

The Baldur's Gate franchise has won multiple Game of the Year and RPG of the Year awards

So let me stress the point: Baldur's Gate II Shadow of Amn sold "over two million so far", where "so far" in context (and even assuming no update since it was wrote) means at least 2008, when that summary was published on Bioware's website.

Meanwhile these are sales data for DOS2 on Steamspy:
Owners: 2,000,000 .. 5,000,000

Which means that it should be anywhere between 2,000,000 and 5,000,000 copies (probably somewhere around 3 million) and we know from the horse's mouth that it was already above a million by November 2017, six weeks after launch.
BG2 was, according to all the source already posted here including Bioware's official site, at 1,5 millions almost two years after launch (se my previous post) and "above 2 millions" seven years later, in 2008, according to Bioware' self reported data.

This means that his claim that "BG2 sold in its first year more than DOS 2 sold in its first year" is complete bullshit. Even taking the worst possible data projection and most conservative numbers about DOS 2, they were at worst on even ground.

Please note that no part of this is meant as a judgement on the quality of either title.
The problem is just that people should not make up convenient shit and then get aggressive when proven wrong.

Last edited by Tuco; 09/11/20 06:37 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
V
V
Originally Posted by Abits
Originally Posted by Soul-Scar
People are not buying BG3 because of Larian (some yes), they are buying it because it is Baldurs Gate. The original BG series has sold 4 times more copies than DOS1&2, not counting the enhanced edition or sales post 2000. Larian need to make it clear who there target audience is, BG and D&D fans or pewdiepie subscribers.

I am sure DOS3 will be cut and pasted soon after BG3 is released. People were promised "something special" for BG3, so far not seeing it.

1m+ in EA is absolutely amazing considering the total sales of DOS2 is between 1.2-.1.35m. Says to me a different type of fan is interested in BG3, I wonder who that would be?

I don't get it. If that's true, where were all these people when Poe, pathfinder etc came out? I seriously doubt it

Well PoE sold 700k copies in the first year, as I stated. That is nothing to sneeze at, even in these times. PoE was named the spiritual successor of BG2, that surely drew some numbers. BG3 however is THE successor to THE RPG of that decade, by name. To me that concludes that the success of this game is also to a large part due to it's name. Take me as anecdotal evidence at least, I solely bought this game, because of the name and I am mildly disappointed with the product as of now. laugh Had it been named, at this time more accurately, A Forgotten Realms RPG, or Divinity in Fâerun I would have been only mildly interested a couple of months from now. These names, however, do not generate the same hype and attention, hence they named it BG3.

Also, I would dare say that, in these days, the number of sales is less important, in terms of success, but the profit you generate. PoE was successful, because it had a kickstarter and sold reasonably well. And I am not leaning myself out of the window, when I say that this is a core reason why this game is in EA, too. To generate a lot of money up front, then pick up the rest with the full-release. So a year on the market, likely without any form of sale. So they still pick people up along the way, even at a time when other games have been through multiple sales with 33-75% off.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard