Originally Posted by Sozz
There doesn't need to be an different prologue for every class background and race, there can simply be a one-size fits all scenario that through dialogue acknowledges these things and lets you understand better who your character is, and establishes some character traits that come into play later in the game, such as you're the type of person that will fall over in amazement when they see a dragon, or you have a snarky personality because those are always one of your dialogue options. A part from the Drow and Githyanki I can easily see this happening, you're in a caravan/tavern people ask you where you're from, where you're going and why, establishing your home , your background and some of your personality.

some of these things I wouldn't expect to be as customizable for a Drow, how many hometowns can we realistically choose from for a Drow, the logistics of a Drow MC are still difficult for me to fathom, the Githyanki on the other hand are pretty straightforward considering they're all fighting these nautiloids already, and a prologue would be great for introducing us to such a foreign culture.

Like the Solasta option? altruism, greedy, sarcastic etc

You seem to know a lot about Drow, how would you solve it? Does the city of origin has to be more than just flavor? Whould "has been living above ground for a while" and "hasn't ever seen the sun" be something that drow players be interested in? Just how different would your gameplay look like coming from either city?

The prologue doesn't have to be the origin setting of the character but provide for a stage where this can be played out. The interrogation in witcher is pretty alright, just have the mindflayers mentally probe the character and the player answers questions, in addition to the character creator. This way the character creation happens even more in game.

Or include it with quick-time events, similar to the option to deal with the argument that ensues in BG3 right after the gate and you can punch either character (dm: "ok, roll an attack, you miss and now look bad" - love it)

Last edited by Tuv; 09/11/20 06:07 PM.