Originally Posted by Sordak
The reason people picked Origins in OS2 was because they were less constrainign and because their stories, while definitly stories, left more to the imagination besides Fane realy.

Would having more robust background/role play options for a custom PC hold a similar appeal? Or is it that they have specific stories/identity to explore? the DOS2/BG3 Origins system is fairly unique, as far as I've seen. Normally we get an established character (Geralt, FF protags, etc.) that is the center of the story. Their identity is important since the story is specifically tailored to their POV. Then there's games like Mass Effect where you have a set character (Shepard) who has a similar narrative drive but the player shapes the identity. In games like the original BG and DA:O, the PC is less defined, relying more on player role play. The divide between these latter two seems more contentious, since they both attract people who wish to RP but to different degrees--some people find the voiced Shepard to be more relatable/immersive while the DA:O type protag allows for more player freedom. Origins seem to occupy a grey area, where, since there are several, the story can't be tailored to them in the way it could be for Shepard and Geralt, but they are voiced and, I imagine, would be less immersion breaking for some?

I don't inherently dislike the idea but I wonder if a similar appeal would be achieved if they expanded the options for PC/made a PC preset.