I think it's essentially official that Minsc will be in the game. In what capacity though, that's another story.

As much I took him in my parties more often than Edwin, since he's a good lad and a powerful melee fighter, I find him to be a bit of a one-trick-pony comedic character. Like Jan Jansen. Edwin was better in my opinion.

At any rate, I hope Larian doesn't take a page from JJ Abram's book, i.e. "why bother with writing a good story when you can ride on nostalgic references ?". I think we've seen enough of that in the recent Star Wars to know it doesn't work.

I'd be happy if Minsc makes a cameo appearance as someone we can talk to, no more. Or perhaps someone we can be with for a fight (like Wyll at the Druid Grove's gate, or Halsin). Or perhaps we can take him as proper party member, but just for a short mission. Basically, I'm not hoping for him to be a companion. Even less a romanceable character. But well, what do I know ? Maybe Larian can make him interesting and have him be part of the story in a well-written way.