Originally Posted by Nyloth
Originally Posted by Verte
Yeah, but that won't happen. Imagine pissed hetero part of Astarion's fanclub if he was only gay. All those pretty drowish girls wasted.

You just wrote this, and I'm already furious.

Also, this is a stupid idea. You suggest making characters represent LGBT community (or represent someone like heterosexual idc), which was enough for me in Bioware games. At this moment, each of us can decide who is who. Representation will ruin everything and only infuriate people, as it did with Jaal from Mass Effect. They made him heterosexual, and as a female player, I think that was unfair to those who wanted an alien boyfriend. But then bioware changed that (cuz ppl cry), and it only made it worse, now two sides were angry. Imagine that someone changes orientation of your favorite character with a patch. And Jaal had these hints in LI quests that his family needed a "continuation of the family". People can be sensitive to this. If they had initially made it bisexual, both sides would have been happy.

Similarly, Dorian in Dragon Age had hints that his family was angry because he couldn't ‘continue the family’, and he's gay LUL. Do you understand? You're not just asking to make a character gay (or other), you're asking for representation. And this is rlyyy bad.

That's why making everyone bisexual (conditionally) is much better. Everyone has their own canon. There is no representation. Enjoy it and don't interfere with others. This is best way.

Hints isn't correct, his father tried to use blood magic to mind-fuck him into heterosexuality (in the context of Jaal that becomes even more interesting).

It's difficult for me to know what kind of tone you're writing in, but I can agree that typically making someone's story about their sexuality isn't great fodder for characterization, BUT I'm not sure Dorian is the best example of this, Dragon Age is Fantasy sure, but a lot of my issues with the story in Inquisition I think stem from a general anachronistic take on many issues, The Chantry is the Western Church The Tevinter Chantry is the Eastern but with closer ties to its pagan roots, neither have any kind of prohibition or weird ideas about sexual relations, that's well and good, but there's another angle that doesn't get the same care and treatment; Dragon Age operates in a Low Fantasy Late Medieval (except Orlais) setting, the dictates of Feudalism are very much in play, Dorian's story isn't just about him not being the son his father wants him to be, he's making decisions for his entire lineage unilaterally, I wish the game had dealt with it more, instead of reducing it to an awkward after school special at some tavern, but I still wouldn't damn it by reducing it to a story about some fop being gay.
People are right to say that pre-Christian Europe was more sexually liberated (though only to a point) but even all those homosexual Greeks had wives, they just didn't see a contradiction between the types of love that could exist between men and between men and women, (and between women? who cares)

Last edited by Sozz; 21/11/20 06:39 PM.