Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
Anything that makes the game more accessible makes the game better. More accessible means higher sales. Higher sales means more funding for follow-up DLC or sequels.

Originally Posted by Firesnakearies
A lot of people chose to play as origin characters in DOS2. A lot. More than half the people I've ever seen playing DOS2 on Twitch have been playing as origin characters. Something that hardcore RPG fans don't want and wouldn't use isn't necessarily a bad feature. Because there are gonna be a ton of casual players who buy this game, who have never played D&D, who are not CRPG veterans, and they just want to jump in and play, not try to figure out how to make a character in a complex system they don't understand. People will play the origin characters. And they will enjoy them.

I probably won't, realistically. Most of the people on this forum probably won't. But we're a minority.

Im sorry for responding to such an old comment but I'm feeling too lazy to go through the whole thread to see if someone else has written what I'm about to say and at the same time your statement is something I've seen several others use as an argument and I see it as heavily flawed.

First of all. This game,, even though it might become great, is not the best thing since slized bread. It's a crpg. The third iteration in its series. People that haven't been interested in crpgs before have absoluly no reason becoming interested in this one. Not when the title has the number "3" in it. Some people might pick it up based on hype in media but not the majority. The majority of players bying this game will be people that has either fond memories of earlier Baldur's Gate games, likes D&D/fantasy crpgs or liked Larians previous releases and hopes this will have the same quality.

Secondly, from a sales point of view, it's always better to define your intended target consumer first and then design your product and marketing campaign to fit that person. I will show this with some overly simplistic examples.

Let's say a company want to release a new soda. What flavor should the soda have you ask. Well, we want it to sell it to as many people as possible, so...all the flavors of course!
And then they discover that the new soda taste horribly, so they scrap that idea.

But they still want to sell their product to as many as possible so instead they come up with another idea...what if the customer gets to choose which flavor he wants! So they let test consumers try out their new product. A bottle of carbonated water that comes with a whole bunch of mini flavor packages. Great! thinks the consumers and chooses the flavor they want and enjoy the soda. Afterwards though they realise a problem. What to do with all the unwanted flavor packages? And the test consumers ask the company, why they would buy a bottle of carbonated water with flavor packages, when all they really wanted was a strawberry soda.

The same goes for a computer game or any other product. In trying to reach a too large or generic market, you often risk making a product that doesn't appeal to your intended target and instead come up with something bland that sure has a little of something for everyone but nothing that the consumers can't find anywhere else in concentratred form, specifically tailored towards their particular taste. Imagine Dark Souls with an easy mode or The Sims Battle Royale. Although the last one sounds atleast enjoyable :P

So no, more accessibility doesn't necessarily equal higher sales.