I think a lot of it is just take your time and learn from mistakes. I was horrid in the beginning now I run around like a Leroooy master at times. Basically do not bite off more than you can chew in the beginning. Explore the map and use save to your advantage. Save before going into a nasty cave. Then do another new save inside. Doing this allows you to have a fall back point if needed Pick your battles. I am not a youngster and I will give you 10 tips that help me.

Tips-
1. you can trade behind the scenes in battle (health potions for example)
2. barrels and bottles of grease they can explode or be set on fire.
3. hide and shoot (thief's are absolutely one class not to mess with from the shadows... bow attack and run and hide. If you can reach the target saber them...use the special attack skills)
4. get high for spells and archers
5. shove baby shove any hole or nasty thing you can fall into are great traps.
6. if they fall get them up as soon as you can. The AI likes to gang bash downed players. you usually have time to get them up.
7. Defensive spells are worth it. Mage armor ... Mirror Image... Color Spray
8. Magic missile is the best finisher in the game IMO. Example you have a low health runner launch this spell. Since it always hits if you can see the target. you can pick and choose multiple targets as well (so if a target has 1 health ...shoot only one missile at him and choose other targets for the balance.)
9. Many areas have things you can use against your targets. You have lots of time to pan the room in combat to look at things.
10. Its your game have fun take challenges on learn from mistakes and the game gets easier and more fun