I don't think we have any opinions to give about who should play this game or not. That's Larian's job and it looks like they want to please people that don't like missing too often.

i do however have an opinion about not wanting a system designed around missing and making tactical decisions to improve my odds to be warped for increasing audience.

Not sure why a +2 bonus would break D&D's balance, but I'll be glad to hear it.

A single +2 is not going to hurt anyone, two of them already push too much the limits of 5e. Here is what bounded accuracy is about in practice and what it means

There is a maximum Ability Score of 20, a maximum Difficulty Class of 30, and a maximum Armor Class of 30. There is a maximum Ability bonus of +5 and a maximum Proficiency Bonus of +6 making a maximum total bonus of +11 (resulting in a maximum score of 30 on a roll of 19.)

The basic premise behind the bounded accuracy system is simple: we make no assumptions on the DM’s side of the game that the player’s attack and spell accuracy, or their defenses, increase as a result of gaining levels. Instead, we represent the difference in characters of various levels primarily through their hit points, the amount of damage they deal, and the various new abilities they have gained. Characters can fight tougher monsters not because they can finally hit them, but because their damage is sufficient to take a significant chunk out of the monster’s hit points; likewise, the character can now stand up to a few hits from that monster without being killed easily, thanks to the character’s increased hit points. Furthermore, gaining levels grants the characters new capabilities, which go much farther toward making your character feel different than simple numerical increases.

This does not mean that the players do not gain bonuses to accuracy and defenses. It does mean, however, that we do not need to make sure that characters advance on a set schedule, and we can let each class advance at its own appropriate pace.

If larian wants us to hit more often they should work around baseline bonus: +1 to base proficiency or -1 to all armor/difficulty classes means you will hit more often without breaking progression or even better without reworking all features to avoid godlike scenarios. But again failure is a big part of D&D experience, why someone would get rid of that is beyond the gaming me.

EDIT: a 'D&D standard' difficulty can be made without all these modifiers for us tabletop hardliners, while all others can enjoy the 'Normal' setting Larian want to push so hard

Last edited by kasakoff; 03/12/20 04:12 PM.