Are we talking about Obsidian from times of yore? If so, partial agree - despite the poorly handled tone.

I definitely think the best Obsidian had to offer would quite easily outshine Larian in terms of storytelling and companion writing. Larian's writing hovers around the line of mediocrity, with an unfortunate tendency towards the whimsical, even when they try to explore darker and more serious angles.

They are quite good at making the game part of a videogame, though. Their turn-based combat design in particular has been a favorite of mine in the genre. I really enjoy the use of the environment (barrelmancy memes aside) and verticality. I also think their quest design is pretty good.

I will say that BG3 feels perfectly DnD to me, as the system encompasses a wide variety of possible tones and styles. It does *not* however scratch the same itch for me that the older games did. And I would lie if I claimed I wasn't disappointed by that realization.

When it comes to spiritual successors, I hope Owlcat can eventually fill those shoes. They have their own problems, but have demonstrated tremendous willingness to learn and improve. I think Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous has a good shot at recreating the feel of older DnD titles.

Last edited by Leuenherz; 09/12/20 04:31 PM.