Originally Posted by AzAthena
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Ultimately, with BG3, it is the name that it all comes down to for me. If everything else about this game were exactly the same except for it having some other name than BG3, my reactions would be completely different. My curiosity for a new D&D game and my love of cRPGs would've caused me to come take a look. Once I got that look I would've said "Nah, this doesn't look like a good game to me at all," and walked away. But the moment it was named Baldur's Gate 3, that changes everything.

am i not alone in feeling that the name gripped me, yet equally i felt like it was so unexpected what i received?

i actually like the bg3 game in its current experience, yet i definitely hit a point where i wondered if the name choice was simply to acquire a userbase, where a new D&D title may not have achieved the same

Of course it's about acquiring a consumerbase, why do you think people keep watching newver and newer starwars movies? Because they love the brand!
BG is a cult classic and it's a time-tested game that is still great to play to this day, people love it and want more of it.
Using this franchise is only bad if they give us a product that caters to the masses instead of delivering high quality. Sadly catering to the masses is definitely happening, because under our current economic incentives bigger numbers mean more income, and profit is why people make video games. BUT I think that Larian has some people on top who are actually passionate about gaming, which may actually make this game decent. I don't see any reason to expect the worse so far.
I will begin whining when they reveal the edgy female tiefling paladin companion who is more of a snowflake then the damn vampire in our party ( whom I dearly love ).