Originally Posted by YT-Yangbang
By the mechanics I wonder from you guys that are more Obsidian familiar. How do all the games (BG 1 2 3) compare to the lines of closeness, to the heart and gameplay of table top D&D

In both Larian and Bioware's, heavy adaptations were done to make the systems work with the videogame medium. Some highlights that I remember off the top of my head:

BG 1/2:
  • The 2E "group initiative" system is adapted to a RTwP system. Note, this actually works quite well unlike a 5E turn base conversion to RTwP would be like.
  • Changes to character creation - i.e. removed female stat restrictions from the corebook. Charisma hireling effects removed. Etc.
  • Changes to Class - added classes from 3E (i.e. Sorcerer, barbarian, etc). Added tons of kits (subclasses) to almost every class. Changed Illusionist (which was its own class) into a mage kit/subclass
  • Implemented the Weapons Specialization/Mastery system from the "Combat and Tactics" book. It was stronger in BG1, but nerfed to match the book in BG2
  • Epic level abilities (from Throne of Bhaal) are mostly a Bioware invention
  • Heavily re-balanced monsters ("hp bloat")*

Larian's BG3
  • Turn-based system implemented as-is in the game.
  • Changes to action/bonus action balancing - some PnP actions are now bonus actions (i.e. "disengage")
  • Backstab/High-ground advantage to attacks - "technically" in PnP (the book says DM should grant advantage whenever it makes sense), but still a big change from more PnP games
  • No new classes, but there have been some alteration and "rebalancing" (Rogues missing expertise, GOO Warlocks missing an ability) - could be bugs/unfinished
  • Rate and availability of treasure is higher in BG3. No attunement as of right now (which limits stacking magical items)
  • Larianisms like surface area damage (although that has been toned down)
  • Heavily re-balanced monsters ("hp bloat")*

* Yes, BG2 has "hp bloating" too - even more drastically than Larian considering the system they played in. It made sense though, because in these conversion, monsters are always more vulnerable positionally (i.e. no flight) - so HP is often increased to account for that. Some examples:
    • 60 avg. hp Balors had up to 155 hp (the ritual demon in the Underdark)
    • 33 avg. hp Trolls were had 80 hp.
    • 102 avg. hp Great Wyrm Red Dragon had 184 in Firkragg.