Originally Posted by Tav22
Originally Posted by Arne
Fantasy stories become interesting because of differences in cultures, species, powers. If everyone is the same, then there is no discussion, no conflict and no reason to read a story, watch a movie or play a game.

I had a similar problem with lore on my first playthrough. I didn't know what a "tiefling" was and was only exposed to devils as evil with the whole thing in the realm of hell. I wasn't sure what was up with all of the devil people in the druid enclave and had to Google it; this simply isn't explained for people who aren't familiar with the current generation of lore.

Why they are at the druid encampment at all didn't make a whole lot of sense while reading up on the lore. It's as if someone rolled the dice and that's the race that landed there. You could easily swap them all out for human and nothing of value would be lost. In fact, it would only improve upon the whole scenario.

I wouldn't be too harsh; Baldurs Gate 3 is still a nice game. I also understand that they didn't want the Haer'Dalis Tieflings - which is the *actual* way a 1/8 fiend might potentially look - because people wouldn't have recognized them. They wanted to have the Zevlor Tieflings, which are of course so extreme that you can't tell them apart from actual fiends.

From a marketing point of view that choice is completely understandable. From a narrative point of view, it's a bad choice.