Print Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18
#735224 16/11/20 08:40 PM
V
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
V
Mod edit: title changed for merge into Megathread. Previous title; "I think armor (and weapon) designs look atrocious"

I don't know if I'm the only one that thinks this, but recently I came across a post on reddit with datamined images of all equipment that is in the game, and I have some thoughts about them. Now, I understand that it's hard to make the models and designs, and I genuinely think that the models are of very high quality, my problem is with the designs itself.

Weapons: I don't have a problem with the weapon design, for the most part, there's some nitpicks I have with stuff like the length of the longsword's handle size, but nothing major. Except for the design for the +2 Greatsword, I don't know who thought that guard looked good, I'm all for outlandish designs in fantasy games that are impractical when they look good, but not only does this look impractical, it just doesn't look good, and it's not something I'd like to see my character wield.

Light Armor: it looks good for the most part, I think the designs are well done, my only "problem" is how regular leather armor looks so thin, kinda looks more like an apron, but it's nothing major that makes it look bad

Medium Armor: this is where I start having some thoughts, and I'll go through them one by one

-Hide armor: I think it looks good, you can't really go wrong with this

-Chain shirt: I wasn't sure how they could make a visual design for an improvement of chain armor, but I was pleasantly surprised, the designs are good and show how the armor progresses, except for the +2 female version, as it doesn't seem to have any chain for some weird reason?

-Scale mal: I have mixed feelings about this one because it's not really a bad design, but I just don't like it, if you're making scale armor, I want to see the metal scales all around the body, to me this looks like leather armor with some scales on it
-Breastplate: this armor looks fine, my only problem with it is that the base version looks just as fine and detailed as the upgraded versions, I think a more simplistic design, at least for the base version, would look a lot better, and maybe make the breastplate a bit larger

-Half plate: I'll be 100% honest, I absolutely hate this, and I can't even say it has a good design, at least for the female version. First off, I'll get the nitpicks out of the way, as I understand it, half plate is supposed to be just like full plate, but without the lower body, this just looks like a breastplate with kneepads. Now for the actual problems with this armor, the female version is literally just a metal bra; who in their right mind thought this was a good idea? There shouldn't be a change in design depending on gender, at least not one as big as this, and the worst part is that Larian didn't do this before, is DOS2 they had revealing armor, but it was the same for both genders, so it stayed consistent and made sense culturally, but here it doesn't make sense to have the male version be this badass looking guy that looks ready for battle, while the female version looks like a dress with a steel bra. This looks terrible and I hope they change it before early access ends.

Heavy Armor

-Ringmail: there's not much to say here, the armor looks great, the female +1 version doesn't have pants, but I'm guessing this is a bug of sorts so it's fine

-Chain mail: Again, I don't have any complaints about this one, the design is good and the progression between the different versions is done well

-Splint mail: Not how I would've imagined it, but this still looks good, my only "complaint" is the fact that the base armor is as detailed as its upgrades, a more simplistic version would do the trick

-Plate: Just like splint armor, I think this armor looks good and the designs are well done, I still think there should be a simpler version for the base armor, and the designs should be a bit more consistent between male and female versions.

So yeah, besides the few nitpicks I had, the two main problems these designs have is that some don't stay consistent for male and female versions, and some are ironically far too detailed, there's nothing wrong with simplicity, some people just want plain old plate armor, with no outlandish designs and engravings on it. I know it takes work to make designs of this quality, but better to get these complaints out of the way while the game is still in early access.

Last edited by Sadurian; 14/01/21 12:49 PM.
veteran
veteran
Padded and Leather Armor look great! What sucks is that the best and most used light armor, Studded Leather, doesn't look so great. Too many odd details, patches and color tones.

Hide and Chain Shirt are cool. Except you can't see any chain in the female version of chain shirt +2. Scale Mail suffers from the same thing as studded leather. Too many odd details, decorations, patches and layers of everything. Breastplate looks nice but really fancy and I'd like a more plain version. I can't imagine my stealthy Ranger wearing that in the wilderness. Female half plate has... boob plates and a skirt with no leg protection at all. I'm speechless. It looks more like a dress than plate armor. Change please.

Ring Mail looks really thin and light. Not heavy enough for heavy armor. Since it's made out of cheaper materials, it should be very bulky. Chain Mail is fine. Splint is very Samurai. Plate Armor looks really fancy again. I just want something less decorated.

Overall I think many armors look way too high fantasy and decorated. More like ceremonial armor for kings than actual armor for battle. In many cases I would prefer something more real and utilitarian. I'm not against decorations but these seem overdone for the most part. The better the armor gets, the less I like it. Should be the other way around.

The weapons seem all very elven style. Same thing again.. they look too fancy and decorated. I'd prefer more utilitarian looking weapons. Less gold, more steel. Unless these actually ARE elven designs and we get more normal stuff later.

Special mention for the Greatsword +2 which I probably can't use while it has the ridiculous morning star for a cross guard.

Last edited by 1varangian; 17/11/20 05:55 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
The low level sword, bow and spear looks good. I would want these in any game I play, instead what most other games have. The realistic weapon style is great but not every model it is like that: mace isn't like a real mace, and every shield is basic round so far. Staves are also very poor, I'd rather have a simple, empty stick than all that cloth and metal parts that makes no sense to be there, on the low level items.

The armor looks good on female characters, but not so much on male. The hidden paladin pink armor is bad. Wizards could use more variety, both traditional and a bit sexier clothing as well. So far there are no choices at all: it's all about stats, you pick which is better, not the one which looks good.

Would like to have a slot for looks (with no weight penalties, maybe transform the armor into a skin to use it here) and one for stats.

addict
addict
Could you please change your title? To use the word atrocious and then go on to say they are all good or ok except one reminds me of a line from the Princess Bride. Also, you include weapons in the title and then say nothing about weapons. Other than the title, I actually really like your post and agree with it.

addict
addict
I don't mind female specific designs. I prefer to not look frumpy.

If I want to look at frumpy, I'll look in a mirror.

old hand
old hand
Personally I think the half-plate armours are great designs for breastplates laugh

Breastplates are probably my favourite armour from an aestethics viewpoint (especially the stereotypical wizard robe/long coat and breastplate looks) and to me the non-magical version look a bit too... fractured. I don't mind that so much for the magical versions because they can get away with being more "piecey" but I would like common breastplates to look more like they're a plate that goes over your breast.

I agree that some armours, like leather, could be bulkier. I also think hide should be bulky -- to me the difference between leather and hide is either using the skin of a thicker animal or more layering and fur. Magical hide (and leather) can be less bulky for obvious magical reasons.

I like very much that they've chosen to include the padded armour/gambeson look in all their armours. It's the foundation of every heavier armour, after all, and it delights the stickler for realism in me to see it.

Full Plate doesn't look platey enough. I think the upgraded Half-Plates look more like how a Full Plate should look. Which shouldn't be a surprise given that Half-Plate is supposed to be identical to Full-Plate except with many of the (half wink ) of the limb protection missing, as you mentioned. Once again the basic, unmagical armour itself looks more like what I could see magical Full-Plate looking like.

I too like the weapon design, including the morning star greatsword. Yes, I know it would be a really bad idea. But it would be a magnificently bad idea. It's ridiculous, but in a fun way.

However, last point. I'm not sure the linked pictures are the exhaustive list of armours. As far as I've seen there has been a few variants of all the armours in-game already, usually just details like shoulder pads or coat length, but still.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
N
old hand
old hand
N
Armors, clothing, shields and weapons look very generic in the game. They would deserve more variants, especially shields. But as all types seem to be in there, I guess more variety will come later. It's just about making new assets and adding textures after all.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by VehementHalo
I came across a post on reddit with datamined images of all equipment that is in the game

I kinda doubt that this is really "all" ...
Especialy since i cant find some armors, that are allready there. O_o

But except that, i can only agree.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
E
E
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Padded and Leather Armor look great! What sucks is that the best and most used light armor, Studded Leather, doesn't look so great. Too many odd details, patches and color tones.

Hide and Chain Shirt are cool. Except you can't see any chain in the female version of chain shirt +2. Scale Mail suffers from the same thing as studded leather. Too many odd details, decorations, patches and layers of everything. Breastplate looks nice but really fancy and I'd like a more plain version. I can't imagine my stealthy Ranger wearing that in the wilderness. Female half plate has... boob plates and a skirt with no leg protection at all. I'm speechless. It looks more like a dress than plate armor. Change please.

Ring Mail looks really thin and light. Not heavy enough for heavy armor. Since it's made out of cheaper materials, it should be very bulky. Chain Mail is fine. Splint is very Samurai. Plate Armor looks really fancy again. I just want something less decorated.

Overall I think many armors look way too high fantasy and decorated. More like ceremonial armor for kings than actual armor for battle. In many cases I would prefer something more real and utilitarian. I'm not against decorations but these seem overdone for the most part. The better the armor gets, the less I like it. Should be the other way around.

The weapons seem all very elven style. Same thing again.. they look too fancy and decorated. I'd prefer more utilitarian looking weapons. Less gold, more steel. Unless these actually ARE elven designs and we get more normal stuff later.

Special mention for the Greatsword +2 which I probably can't use while it has the ridiculous morning star for a cross guard.

I agree with some points you make, especially your critique.

I like armor design even less then you, overall. I see odd details, decorations and patches as absolutely unnecessary and taking away from the
main idea of the armor: it should protect and be comfortable. And if you are making a statement with your armor (as you should, because if you are a combat-oriented character, your life partially depends on it) - there is a stealth, shiny or intimidating approach. (To be undetected, to be detected and relied upon, to be afraid of). Form follows function.

Designers, you are making less of this statement by blurring the borders and having no single style approach in the most given armor. Please rely on realistic examples of armor - just look at the museum pieces, Royal Tower as an easy example. All you may need is between IX and XVI century. Sometimes no need to invent the wheel, when there are proven forms. Not everything needs to be creative.

As for Greatsword+2, I think they have just misnamed it. It's Loviathar greatsword, of course, sado-maso. Scare your enemy by inflicting pain on your own hands while swinging.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Why do people have to make these massive exaggerations lol.
How in the hell is the female half-plate a '' metal bra ''?
It just has leather around sorta simulating the appearance of a corset without being one ( which was an actual thing historically btw ).

It looks way better than the male version imo which just looks so.... Basic and dull.
The male version just lacks personality I think.

Scholargladiatoria made a video response to the whole thing with Sarkeesian freaking out about the female Mandalorians breastplates and he actually showcased real historical depictions of women wearing armor from the middle-ages.
Even back then people had the idea of armor specifically made for women being different and more feminine.
In a setting where women being soldiers and fighting is the norm I actually like seeing that, that women being a part of warfare has actually had an influence because it's VERY likely that this would've happened historically if women had worn armor enough that they'd even be taken into consideration at all.
And we have actual historical paintings depicting it from middle-age artists.
( And yes I am aware of Joan of Arc etc, we don't even know what armor she wore and even so women were so rare that they just slapped the developed standard on them and called it a day. Numerous of historians have covered this topic before. )

If people don't like it that's fine, but I'd really hate to see them get rid of it because of people who probably won't even play female characters to begin with.
And if you don't like it then it can be modded out later anyways, but I'd like to for once have something nice.
And the way they're doing it makes actual sense contextually and also even from a '' what if '' historical pov.

I mean it just sounds to me like you think that femininity isn't cool or badass.
I think that most women do, and you're severely overexaggerating about it too.

Edit: And why is it always that female gear needs to '' correct itself '' by male gear?
For once if you're gonna standardize things and make it all the same ( *yawn* ) then do it the other way around then.
I am so tired of people arguing about this as if the masculine is always the default that the feminine needs to be judged by.

Last edited by Svalr; 19/11/20 12:36 AM.
addict
addict
That greatsword+2 is hideous. Not only does it look immensely impractical it also just looks plain gaudy. Who would use a morningstar as their handguard? I think I'd rather just use the greatsword+1 just to avoid using that thing.

Most everything else looks fine at least.

I actually like the lower tier versions of most of the armors, but most of them aren't glaringly bad at least. I do like studded leather+2 more than +1 though. Amusingly padded armor+2 looks way more protective than the leather and hide sets. I love it. Regal as Heck and very comfy looking.

I think my favorites by far are padded, hide, and chainmail. They all look good at all tiers and their top tiers all look fairly practical while still being stylish. Enjoying hide is especially good because I imagine my druids will be spending most of their time in that when they get introduced.

I would've liked more padded looking armor under the breastplate for the breastplate set instead of leather. It looks uncomfortable to me and breastplate tends to be the armor I go to when I want to look more stylish while still being protected.

Female halfplate looks disappointing compared to the male's. Why is their breastplate not visible aside from their boobs? Boobplate is one thing but this looks like she only has metal armor to cover her breasts specifically. That gets mostly fixed at halfplate+2 at least.

Not feeling the plate armor sets. Especially +2. Looks great if I wanted to be a paladin but if fighters and ranger-knights have to wear it too it is going to not mesh well with the class fantasy. At least for me.

Also just in general I think this really shows that we need some kind of basic dye system for the armor. Even if all we can change is the color of the fabric decorations that'd be a big deal. I really like the standard plate but once it upgrades I lose out on that nice green color that'd go great on a ranger-knight or Oath of the Ancients paladin. Same with chainmail+1 vs +2.

All in all I hope they give players some flexibility in how they look. It'd be less work in the long run than trying to design a dozen different variants of each armor type.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by SaurianDruid

Female halfplate looks disappointing compared to the male's. Why is their breastplate not visible aside from their boobs? Boobplate is one thing but this looks like she only has metal armor to cover her breasts specifically. That gets mostly fixed at halfplate+2 at least.

The funny thing about this is that you're literally asking them to make the breastplate LESS armored.
It's just leather meant to simulate a corset without being one, which again like I said above was an actual historical thing that even men did even with the actual shape of the breastplate itself.

It's for the same reason that men did wear breastplates shaped like corsets historically and why today male armor is usually emphasizing wide shoulders and wide torsos and chests ( wideness in general really ).
It's to emphasize femininity or masculinity.
But suddenly when it's femininity people act like it's wrong and a problem...

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Svalr

The funny thing about this is that you're literally asking them to make the breastplate LESS armored.
It's just leather meant to simulate a corset without being one, which again like I said above was an actual historical thing that even men did even with the actual shape of the breastplate itself.

It's for the same reason that men did wear breastplates shaped like corsets historically and why today male armor is usually emphasizing wide shoulders and wide torsos and chests ( wideness in general really ).
It's to emphasize femininity or masculinity.
But suddenly when it's femininity people act like it's wrong and a problem...

I think you misunderstood my complaint.

I don't care if the boobs are outlined in the armor or if the leather bits are modelled to look like a corset. What I find silly is that the lower tier versions of that armor have two metal boobs sticking out of what is otherwise visibly an all leather outfit.

It looks silly. Two big shiny boobs and no visible metal anywhere else on her body.

Edit: For the record I'd also think it would look silly if the fullplate sets had a phallic looking codpiece sticking out between the legs. This isn't a feminine vs masculine thing.

Last edited by SaurianDruid; 19/11/20 01:14 AM.
L
addict
addict
L
Most of it looks fine, but I wouldn’t say anything looks cool. I’d like my armours more gritty and functional looking than overly ornate. I hope Larian is having a good look at Demon’s Souls, that’s how I’d like my D&D characters to look.

V
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
V
I don't have a problem with that armor existing, what I have a problem with is that it doesn't stay consistent with both gendered versions. I think they should make it so the female version of half-plate armor looks like the male version, and a separate set of armor that looks like a corset for both genders, that way everyone's happy.

old hand
old hand

The only metal in the design is holding the breasts.

The Half-Plate is supposed to be a breastplate plus roughly half the additional protection of a Full Llate set. The design as is is less metal than the Breastplate.

The description of Half-Plate in the Player's Handbook is as follows:
[Linked Image]

E
E
Originally Posted by Dexai

The only metal in the design is holding the breasts.

The Half-Plate is supposed to be a breastplate plus roughly half the additional protection of a Full Llate set. The design as is is less metal than the Breastplate.

The description of Half-Plate in the Player's Handbook is as follows:
[Linked Image]

So it should be "no cuisses" and "no sabatons". Poleyns (knee protection), however, should be included - it is the first thing to protect in any leg armor, even padded armor should have them.

veteran
veteran
Again, would be nice to get a developer comment on the designs.

If they came out and said that only the elven weapon designs and fancy armor designs are in the game currently, we wouldn't have to worry or discuss these at length.

They should at least provide a generic or utilitarian version of armor designs, because not all adventurers are pompous fools paladins of Sune or Lathander who want overly fancy decorated golden armor and weapons. Stealthy, woodsy and sinister characters wear armor, too.

E
E
Again, would be nice to get a developer comment on the designs.

If they came out and said that only the elven weapon designs and fancy armor designs are in the game currently, we wouldn't have to worry or discuss these at length.

They should at least provide a generic or utilitarian version of armor designs, because not all adventurers are pompous fools paladins of Sune or Lathander who want overly fancy decorated golden armor and weapons. Stealthy, woodsy and sinister characters wear armor, too.

I really don't see the current plate armor design as fit for a Lathander paladin at all. I can't imagine where this armor would look good at all; maybe with Solar or Planetar guys, because they have so unusual, bright skin and eye tones, so this armor would not look too weird on them. Why do you think of paladins so lowly? Most of them aren't vainglorious at all, by their code. You met some bad examples, it would seem.

Tuv Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Love the armors in the game, some that you have shown are from datamining I suppose, glad to see they aren't as fancy as they probably could be, great art style so far Larian! Agree with the female heavy armor needing a change, is there no armor that just fits both?

Why do these remind me of Guild Wars so much though, another game I enjoyed, don't quite think it should be in BG3 though

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
If I was shown the Half-plate with no labelling I would've assumed it was leather armor.

I mean, if I purchased a half-plate and got that, I'd feel like I got ripped-off. This is the equivalent of getting a prime-rib steak that is 95% bone and 5% meat.

Last edited by Topgoon; 19/11/20 06:16 PM.
Dez Offline
addict
addict
Hmmm.

Regarding the light armor - the padded one looks alright. Safe and somewhat stylish. The leather one is plain - for the better or worse. The studded armor looks absolutely terrible, in my opinion. >.<

Medium armor - hide armor looks... Alright. Chain is not my style, but the T3 one looks good enough! The T2 scalemail looks great, but T3 is a bit too much - in my opinion. Really like the breastplate. Half-plate looks weird, though, at least for the females... :x

Heavy armor - Ringmail t2 - WTB pants. T3 looks dope though. I like the chainmail - though the colors of the T3 is definitely not my style though. Splitmain T1 and T2 looks awful - but the T3 one is gorgeous! The plate in general gets a plain "NOPE!" from me. >.<

Just opinions, I don't think anything should be changed or removed if people like them in general - as long as there are mods to "transmog" with, then I'll be happy as long as there is one good set.

Personally, I am the direct opposite of some people here. I like stylish armor - it is a fantasy game so I am not really too concerned about the "practical" value of the armor. I mean... There is literally enchanted gear and weapons, real life logic does not apply imo - like I said in another thread about the subject... If there was a magic bra making you invincible - then it would be used in real life. Bra, or not.

None of these are what I'd call ideal for myself. When it comes to outfits alone, then this is my top list of choices (personal preferences, these types are not for everyone :p ):

Female armor:

Light/Medium - Senna, Samira and Katarina (League of Legends), Demon hunter sets (Diablo 3). For more caster style, Yuna and Lulu (Final Fantasy), Morgana / Karma (League of Legends) or Tyrande (Heroes of the Storm / World of Warcraft).

Heavy armor - Saber (Fate), Crusader and barbarian sets (Diablo 3), Leona (League of Legends) or Auriel (Heroes of the Storm).

Male armor:

Light/Medium - Cloud, Aaron or Valentine (Final Fantasy), Jhin or Graves (League of Legends), demon hunter sets (Diablo 3). For casters: Twisted Fate or Swain (League of Legends), monk sets (Diablo 3), Medivh and Deckard Cain (Heroes of the Storm).

Heavy armor - Guts and Griffith (Berserk), crusaders and barbarian sets (Diablo 3), Darius and Shen (League of Legends).

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
old hand
old hand
I always, always prefer plainer, more practical-looking armors over weird, fancy ones.

#736697 20/11/20 05:53 AM
Mod edit for new Megathread title: previous title; "Looks of Armor"

I do know that there have been MANY posts of the different looks of armor types, I'm one of those that prefer a more practical look when it comes to armor. Regardless of that, however, the only thing I do ask is that multiple versions of the same armor type look at least a little bit different. I had my main and Astarion standing next to each other, both wearing leather armor, and it was identical. Literally. Down to the imperfections of the cut. Same color, same style, same notches in the panels. This is EA, so I'm understanding of that, but, in release, please make some variations in the armor. Just some randomness when two characters are wearing the same type, just for some ascetic feel. I guess this would probably also go for weapons as well. Two rapiers are going to look completely different from each other. (I apprenticed under a forger/weapons master for a time, so I know that even individual smiths don't like reproducing the same look of a weapon each time. They will create variations of each one)

Last edited by Sadurian; 14/01/21 12:25 PM.
veteran
veteran
Armor visuals aside, I think all the mechanics should be there as well. Namely the strength requirements.

Ring Mail has no purpose when Chain Mail doesn't require that 13 Strength. Ring Mail could be the armor of choice for low level Clerics who have the proficiency but less than 13 Str and Dex, before they can upgrade to a Half Plate. Otherwise I don't see any purpose for Ring Mail to exist in the first place. It's only marginally better than Scale Mail for a 10 Dex character to begin with.

Even more important is that Splint and Plate require that 15 Strength so that Strength gets some value over Dex. And that Clerics can't dump both Strength and Dex and wear Full Plate with 8 Strength.

Chain Mail could be available at the stores since it's a basic starting armor. Withholding it for a few hours so it would be an upgrade doesn't really make things more exciting.

And what's up with the pricing? Studded Leather costs 500?

enthusiast
enthusiast
In all honest so far I've only seen leather, chain mail, and robes and will have to agree with you.

addict
addict
It's a recurring request, and I fully agree. Cosmetic variants would be great. Also tinting.

veteran
veteran
Shoutout to the Flaming Fist armor design. It's looks stylish and great without being over the top.

Stylish but utilitarian armor like this for players too, please. This style is much more pleasing than Studded Leather or Scale Mail, or many of the overly decorated future armor that have been datamined.

https://youtu.be/bn4AuvMxNuI?t=204

Last edited by 1varangian; 23/11/20 11:02 AM.
E
E
Shoutout to the Flaming Fist armor design. It's looks stylish and great without being over the top.

Stylish but utilitarian armor like this for players too, please. This style is much more pleasing than Studded Leather or Scale Mail, or many of the overly decorated future armor that have been datamined.

https://youtu.be/bn4AuvMxNuI?t=204

And once again I agree. And not because "it's conservative and plain", but because when there is so much exotic stuff everywhere, it's too much, like overacting. Right now, when you see a simpler design where should be one, it's like a breath of free air.

journeyman
journeyman
Funny how some of the lower tier ones look better than their betters. Hope we get a glamour mod again at some point to overwrite armor and weapon appearances.

#750267 09/01/21 06:19 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Mod edit: Title changed for new merged Megathread. Old title; 'Let's talk about armor sexual demorphism'

1) Some armor in the game kinda looks the same:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

2) Some look more revealing on females:

3) Found only one that is more revealing on males:

4) But also what is interesting is that armor very often just looks DIFFERENT depending on sex:

5) As opposed to almost the same:

Random images were picked for all examples, however there are plenty more where that came from for every category.

So I want to discuss two things in this thread:

a) Do you think that armor should morph depending on ones sex or stay the same?

b) Do you prefer more practical armor or like the inclusion of revealing armor?

Personally I think that armor should always look exactly the same or very close to it on both sexes, I don't see a good reason to have a very different design depending on ones sex. I also prefer more practical armor, as I think it is more immersive, however I am not against revealing armor options too, so long as the armors look the same on both sexes.

Last edited by Sadurian; 14/01/21 12:40 PM.
veteran
veteran
I hadn't noticed that the Gith men get pants. I say that if the women lose their pants so do the men, show the legs.

As far as sexy armor: fine with it but needs to as revealing for both men and women. Bikini armor becomes Borat thong. And there should be a checkmark like the "show helmet" checkmark that puts it back to generic view.

And no absurd pauldrons. Perhaps a designs for dragon's head and the like but no stylized flames or spikes that say "if I look left or right I'm going to stab out my eye" I hate that particular aesthetic.

I
old hand
old hand
I
A: Yes, when it makes sense, that mostly means flexible armor like ring show breasts more.
B: Practical (The Half Plate is not practical by the way)

Last edited by Ixal; 09/01/21 06:34 PM.
veteran
veteran
Apart from the mummy wraps on the gith plate I've thought both armors have been pretty good

A: It should stay mostly the same. It's the same armor, why would it change its entire style and design to detect the gender of the person wearing it? That's just nuts.

B: I prefer practical armor. Give Lae'zel pants, Larian! Revealing armor is just kinda... stupid? I'm not a fan, to say the very least.

I honestly hope you have a most marvelous day!
S
addict
addict
S
I don’t really care as long as it looks good and isn’t too trashy. There has to be some degree of suspension of disbelief and armor is where I personally give some leeway.

It can look different for different sexes. Just make them look good and not trashy (please no thong plate mail).

enthusiast
enthusiast
A. I think armors should be relatively the same within reason, but have variations. Add a transmog and dye system.

B. I think the game should have both. I want to be drowning in both. If I had to pick one then still both. Lol nah practical. Still though can't I have both?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by spectralhunter
Just make them look good and not trashy (please no thong plate mail).

This is the trashiest I've personally found:

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Kadajko
Just make them look good and not trashy (please no thong plate mail).

This is the trashiest I've personally found:

I must say Larian, although outrageous and overboard with everything else, seems to be somewhat grounded in the art style.

I still think the female gith half plate is trashier with exposed butt cheeks. But honestly I don’t mind. Yeah I’m a dog.

enthusiast
enthusiast
But honestly I don’t mind. Yeah I’m a dog.

Would you mind if the male version looked the same, without pants and with exposed buttcheeks?

Last edited by Kadajko; 09/01/21 06:53 PM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
I agree.
There should be more sexual dimorphism in armors, female armors should be much more revealing, male armors should be much more bulky than this, and show more upper body

S
addict
addict
S

Would you mind if the male version looked the same, without pants and exposed buttcheeks?

I would mind and yes, if you would like Larian to treat the female version the same, I have no issues and say go for it.

But currently I don’t care since what they have now is okay by me. But I will not argue or challenge others who want something else.

enthusiast
enthusiast

Would you mind if the male version looked the same, without pants and with exposed buttcheeks?

You are right male gith should remove chest piece and have a strap with one shoulder pad. Its only fair and lore friendly too lol.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Sordak
I agree.
There should be more sexual dimorphism in armors, female armors should be much more revealing, male armors should be much more bulky than this, and show more upper body

I think that chances are slim that Larian will make armors that are even more different, but you are quite lucky so far.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Aishaddai

You are right male gith should remove chest piece and have a strap with one shoulder pad. Its only fair and lore friendly too lol.

Hey as long as I get that AC 15 + 2 DEX go for it. Heh.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I would mind and yes, if you would like Larian to treat the female version the same, I have no issues and say go for it.

But currently I don’t care since what they have now is okay by me. But I will not argue or challenge others who want something else.

I don't are either way, I just want it to be the same. Whether males get their buttcheeks out or females get padding, both are fine by me.

It's curious however that you are only one-sidedly ok with it.

Last edited by Kadajko; 09/01/21 07:01 PM.
S
addict
addict
S

I don't are either way, I just want it to be the same. Whether males get their buttcheeks out or females get padding, both are fine by me.

It's curious however that you are only one-sidedly ok with it.

Why is it curious? It’s aesthetics. Does a person’s view on aesthetics need to be the same?

veteran
veteran
Not a fan of Conan?

enthusiast
enthusiast
I think armors should be relatively the same within reason.

male gith should remove chest piece and have a strap with one shoulder pad.

So how do you personally define ''within reason''?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Why is it curious? It’s aesthetics. Does a person’s view on aesthetics need to be the same?

Same regardless of sex? Yes, atleast that's how I understand aesthetics works. You are free to have different standards for males and females, but I don't think aesthetics is the word you are looking for.. principle maybe?

S
addict
addict
S

Same regardless of sex? Yes, atleast that's how I understand aesthetics works. You are free to have different standards for males and females, but I don't think aesthetics is the word you are looking for.. principle maybe?

Principles. Aesthetics. Same idea.

Preferences? That may be a better answer.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I think armors should be relatively the same within reason.

male gith should remove chest piece and have a strap with one shoulder pad.

So how do you personally define ''within reason''?

Some attire modifications work better on girls vs boys. Vice versa.

The second quote is yours not mine, but if you are asking then I responded already with the third quote. Erotic zones are different on males vs females and if skin is the issue then chest piece> partial butt piece.

veteran
veteran
I don't like the look of metal on bare legs. In general I don't think the armor needs to be exactly the same on men and women, but it should be the same general style: revealing on both or not revealing on both.

addict
addict
1. I think that the armor must necessarily differ depending on the gender of the character.

2. I like beautiful things, not practical ones. I hate realism in fantasy works. I want epic and cool female armor, not male armor that doesn't tell me the gender of my character.

I know that some people like this "dark souls style", where the female character is distinguished from the male only by the style of gait, but I don't like it. I like to see the difference. By the way, I love Lae armor very much.
I just don't like the color of metal (???) plates, but I like the design itself. No pants for my girl!

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
enthusiast
enthusiast

Maybe, anyway, one more thing I wanted to mention is that - you are not willing to give what you are willing to take, this might in the future put you in a situation in which you won't get what you want because you won't give others what they want, so they won't give you what you want, it will be all or nothing, no compromise.

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
I see nothing wrong with any of that armor. I personally like revealing armor, but I'm not going to cry about it if they don't have it in this game.

enthusiast
enthusiast
The second quote is yours not mine.

Yes, I just showed the whole conversation between us.

Erotic zones are different on males vs females.

I assure you, many females love male buttcheeks.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Nyloth
1. I think that the armor must necessarily differ depending on the gender of the character.

2. I like beautiful things, not practical ones. I hate realism in fantasy works. I want epic and cool female armor, not male armor that doesn't tell me the gender of my character.

I know that some people like this "dark souls style", where the female character is distinguished from the male only by the style of gait, but I don't like it. I like to see the difference. By the way, I love Lae armor very much.
I just don't like the color of metal (???) plates, but I like the design itself. No pants for my girl!

I agree. But I don’t like armor that’s too revealing (unless it fits the world like Conan) for both sexes. How much is not clear. It’s a case by case decision.

Lae’zel’s armor kinda proves your point. It looks great on a female character (some have issue with the butt) but on a male, it looks like crap. None of my male fighters wear it and I wait till I can buy the magic scale mail.

Generic looking armor will not look good on both male and female bodies. It’s a fantasy world. Let’s make everyone look fabulous by offering what works on each body type.

addict
addict
Fuck realism, this is a fantasy game. Armor has to look cool, and sexy armor looks better in a female body.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
I hadn't noticed that the Gith men get pants. I say that if the women lose their pants so do the men, show the legs.

As far as sexy armor: fine with it but needs to as revealing for both men and women. Bikini armor becomes Borat thong. And there should be a checkmark like the "show helmet" checkmark that puts it back to generic view.

And no absurd pauldrons. Perhaps a designs for dragon's head and the like but no stylized flames or spikes that say "if I look left or right I'm going to stab out my eye" I hate that particular aesthetic.

No Borat thong. Is esteticaly horrible.

The male corrispondent to bikini armor is loincloth just like Conan the barbarian and Red Sonia teach.

And I support your statment against pauldrons. They are evil incarnated.

Said that I hope that Larian manages a wider range of armors, and civilian clothes, more or less revealing (for both the genders) to add more diversity, just in real life where we can see both sex with more or less visible skin. Also it would be nice if they apply, in BG3 the same morphing feature they had in the OSII that allowed the armor to assume a race specific estetic.

veteran
veteran
"Regardless of sex", help me understand how the female and male forms are aesthetically indistinct.

This reminds me of a lot of discussions regarding Superhero costumes, specifically a comic showing what the male equivalent of Power Girl's costume would look like, but instead of picking an example from the myriad of titillating male hero costumes they move the cleavage down toward his groin and call it a day. Is that the male equivalent of decolletage? Or do we judge them by differently?

S
addict
addict
S

Maybe, anyway, one more thing I wanted to mention is that - you are not willing to give what you are willing to take, this might in the future put you in a situation in which you won't get what you want because you won't give others what they want, so they won't give you what you want, it will be all or nothing, no compromise.

Oh my goodness. Not every decision is a life changing event. Not every decision is all or nothing. You need to learn to pick your battles. You need to learn to walk away from insignificant battles.

Yes there are some things to fight for but pixelated armor in a video game is not one of them. Please try not to be over dramatic.

enthusiast
enthusiast

Can you elaborate why you feel like that is necessary?

Basically I am asking what in your opinion would be the problem with male gith armor looking like the female version?

enthusiast
enthusiast
The second quote is yours not mine.

Yes, I just showed the whole conversation between us.

Erotic zones are different on males vs females.

I assure you, many females love male buttcheeks.

Oh i'm well aware of that. Back on topic. Why not be direct and just say you want pants on X,Y,Z armors sets. I think making male and female armors "exactly" the same is a mistake. So like I said before, within reason.

Edit: I'm 100 percent team cool>realism. I thought at first this was casual skimpy vs hardcore serious metal plates.

Last edited by Aishaddai; 09/01/21 07:32 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Oh my goodness. Not every decision is a life changing event. Not every decision is all or nothing. You need to learn to pick your battles. You need to learn to walk away from insignificant battles.

Yes there are some things to fight for but pixelated armor in a video game is not one of them. Please try not to be over dramatic.

No, it's this thing about - you like sexy armor. But there is a big counter-movement to not have sexy armor in video games at all, and I think it's not because you want sexy armor, but because you are against male armor showing buttcheeks. So in the grand scheme of things there are a lot of people that think like you do, and there will be a divide between you and other gamers. But I feel like this can all be avoided AND you would get to keep sexy female armor in games if you were ok with males having sexy armor too.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Danielbda
Fuck realism, this is a fantasy game. Armor has to look cool, and sexy armor looks better in a female body.

I think it can be done tastefully.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Kadajko; 09/01/21 07:32 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
I like more practical heavy armor and/or equality for both gender. So, yes male buttcheeks are ok. I prefer aesthetic appearance of armor.

Last edited by sahardima; 09/01/21 08:04 PM.
S
addict
addict
S
No, it's this thing about - you like sexy armor. But there is a big counter-movement to not have sexy armor in video games at all, and I think it's not because you want sexy armor, but because you are against male armor showing buttcheeks. So in the grand scheme of things there are a lot of people that think like you do, and there will be a divide between you and other gamers. But I feel like this can all be avoided AND you would get to keep sexy female armor in games if you were ok with males having sexy armor too.

It’s not that I particularly like them. I mostly don’t care as long as they are cool looking. If they removed the butt cheeks, fine by me. If they wanted to add butt cheeks to males, not my style but I’ll live and move on.

So please don’t assume what I like and dislike. You don’t know what I think and now you are bordering on offensive.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm sorry. How is that tasteful?????

Banned
Banned
Lowkey, i just hope armors going forward won't look as fanciful. That Ringmail +2 looks like a decent looking wizard set.

Also, circlets. Never liked how in many fantasy settings it's either a helmet or a circlet, so a mage class usually ends up stuck with the latter.

Let me guess, this is coming from ..a "male", right ?

In the risk of being a bit too pragmatic here, we're talking about a plate armor that should protect the body but should also be practical. So if you think of making it "too sexy" for both gender, it's not really a plate armor; what are you protecting ?
So the gith armor with "short" pants (and boots just below the knees) is excellent. I'd like to see the same for "male". And BTW, (risk of being to pragmatic again), the Romain army, "the centurion" had about that same style.

if you make (if we had) stylish armor the same for both gender, we wouldn't have a thread like this, we wouldn't have any data point.

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a bit, you realize the pig enjoys it.
apprentice
apprentice
For Loviatar priest, perfect.

For Loviatar priest, perfect.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Would you mind if the male version looked the same, without pants and exposed buttcheeks?

If they wanted to add butt cheeks to males, not my style but I’ll live and move on.

Well then my earlier reading comprehension failed me, my bad.

Last edited by Kadajko; 09/01/21 07:39 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast

Why not? lol

S
addict
addict
S
I would mind because it’s not my style but I wouldn’t make a stink about it since it’s not a hill I’m willing to die on.

Again. Pick your fights.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I would mind because it’s not my style but I wouldn’t make a stink about it since it’s not a hill I’m willing to die on.

Again. Pick your fights.

Fair enough. I don't think tbh that anyone wants to die on the hill, we just talking.

Last edited by Kadajko; 09/01/21 07:44 PM.

I agree to that, it's tastefully and fit into the less pragmatic and more into a fantasy world. smile but now that we are talking about this, ahhh .. the female equivalent would be ..ah just no

@Nyloth, what do you think ?

Last edited by Starlights; 09/01/21 07:49 PM.

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a bit, you realize the pig enjoys it.
All I know is, if I wore a layer of cloth, and a layer of leather with a layer of mail over all, my tits would squash down.

I also know that I don't get less stratching or chafeing or sunburn than males, so would hope to be wearing pants for running around the wilderness.

Banned
Banned
That looks like trashy female armor slapped on a male tbh. There's nipple chains in there. Blatant and tasteful would be what the dream dude/dudette are wearing.

Last edited by Innateagle; 09/01/21 07:52 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast

Why not? lol

Yeah no. Unless you apart of lgbt, I can't see that being tasteful across the board.

I'm not apart of that crowd and don't like that style. I only speak for myself, but if you want more I'll gladly point out what I don't like about it and why. Don't let me get a red pen lol.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Innateagle
That looks like trashy female armor slapped on a male tbh. There's nipple chains in there. Blatant and tasteful would be what the dream dude/dudette are wearing.

I think the nipple chain stays regardless of what that person is wearing, it's not part of the robe.

What in your opinion is a difference between an armor that is sexy for the sake of being sexy because it is a fantasy and fck pragmatism and a trashy armor?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah no. Unless you apart of lgbt, I can't see that being tasteful across the board.

I'm not apart of that crowd and don't like that style. I only speak for myself, but if you want more I'll gladly point out what I don't like about it and why. Don't let me get a red pen lol.

I am not a part of lgbt, not sure how you draw the correlation.

Get your red pen out, I am curious.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

The point is that what males see as sexy differs from what women see as sexy. There is also a difference in body shape, women usually have curves while men usually are bulk ( there's a reason drag queens focus so much in smoothing their curves).

As much as I agree and I do with the fact that revealing armors for males should be a thing to take dress designed for the female body and put them on a male body is not exactly the same.

The picture you posted is more for a gender fluid male than for a gender conforming male (and pretty sure the percent of people finding it sexy are few). And believe me had I the chance to make my male toons use magic enhanced armor that grants the same stats as the armors we currently have and let my toon to show his arms or pecs or addomen or legs I wouldn't complain.

Also the problem before was that there were no choices, female armors were exclusively sexualized (that is different from sexy), now we are at the opposite of the spectrum that is instead of giving a spectrum of choices due to a push by a part of players we have graphics that taste like a jump in Victorian age where instead of religion leading morality to censor women's body now is an interpretation of progressive thinking to censor women's body.

All when the solution would be to just increase the spectrum so that any player could choose for their town the kind of dress that make them more comfortable and able to enjoy the game.

S
addict
addict
S
Fair enough. I don't think tbh that anyone wants to die on the hill, we just talking.

Figure of speech.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Bufotenina
The point is that what males see as sexy differs from what women see as sexy.

Tend to.

There is also a difference in body shape, women usually have curves while men usually are bulk.

No problem what so ever with biological curves.

As much as I agree and I do with the fact that revealing armors for males should be a thing to take dress designed for the female body and put them on a male body is not exactly the same.

If I talk your language- why don't we design a bunch of male armors, a bunch of female armors and then let both males and females wear male AND female armor?

Also the problem before was that there were no choices.

I think the problem remains when the armor morphs depending on sex.

All when the solution would be to just increase the spectrum so that any player could choose for their town the kind of dress that make them more comfortable and able to enjoy the game.

Yes.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Figure of speech.

Lol, I understand, I also don't think that the armor issue is the most important in the world, I just have my opinions, and I respect yours. What bothers me is that we are both as consumers pulling the games in different directions and I would REALLY like to find a compromise if that is possible, that is why I dissect your words looking for this answer.

Last edited by Kadajko; 09/01/21 08:13 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast

I am not a part of lgbt, not sure how you draw the correlation.

Get your red pen out, I am curious.

Oky dok.

Thigh high waist cut long dress, multiple unnecessary belts(not ff levels but still), the piercings especially on the legs, asymmetric bracelets, thigh high boots, choker, straight long hair down the back, sporadic metallic pieces, skulls, sharp edges, long nails. Just a first glance mind you. Individually I don't like them, but together it paints a pleasure from pain image with a mockery of feminine allure over a male tapestry that has a message "I decide whats sexy, not you viewer". Very artistically aggressive.

Thats what it looks like to me anyway. No idea who the character is btw if that means anything.

veteran
veteran
The point is that what males see as sexy differs from what women see as sexy. There is also a difference in body shape, women usually have curves while men usually are bulk ( there's a reason drag queens focus so much in smoothing their curves).

Spend more time searching "male fantasy art" on pinterest. Especially art made by K-pop fans. Lots of lithe, willowy men. Or just put in "sexy k pop" and see what comes up. Nearly any "males see" / "females see" statment is just a reference the person's individual tastes and a desire to believe those tastes are universal and natural.

(somewhat off topic but it annoys that 'male' and 'female' have become common usage and people avoid using 'men' and 'women' when discussing gender -- makes it sound like a discussion amongst Ferengi)

Last edited by KillerRabbit; 09/01/21 08:32 PM. Reason: kant spel
enthusiast
enthusiast
Individually I don't like them, but together it paints a pleasure from pain image with a mockery of feminine allure over a male tapestry that has a message "I decide whats sexy, not you viewer". Very artistically aggressive.

Interesting.

Thats what it looks like to me anyway. No idea who the character is btw if that means anything.
Well it's a cultist of Slaanesh, a God of hedonism.

somewhat off topic but it annoys that 'male' and 'female' have become common usage and people avoid using 'men' and 'women' when discussing gender.

Well, I am personally cis-genderless so I avoid everything that has to do with gender like the plague, and indeed the use of ''male'' and ''female'' is very deliberate on my part.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
I'll add some few remarks: lgbtqix doesn't imply homogeneity of tastes, I'm gay still found that style not interesting or sexy and as I stated before I'm pretty sure that the percent of people that found it sexy is low.

As I am sure that what females see as sexy in a man doesn't rely in buttcheeks (for instance in the gay part of the letters ensemble the ones who search for buttcheeks display are those inclined to leather and the dominant/submissive part of the bdsm).

I agree on two positions: in a world where a trinket can allow you to speak with deads to have armors that grant the same defence tshoudn't be saw as something strange, but at the same time to have "sexy" armor is just insensate.

Wonder woman uses a revealing costume but is not designed to be sexy. Red Sonia's leather armor suits her but is not vulgar.

As I said: civil variegated clothing, armors that can find inspiration from roman or greek or germanic populations armors (with use of kilts or kilt like vests for males as alternative to pants or taking inspiration from all the cultures that have armors that didn't cover all the body), a compromise can be found (obviously the full body armors should remain, the point is to give options).

S
addict
addict
S
Figure of speech.

Lol, I understand, I also don't think that the armor issue is the most important in the world, I just have my opinions, and I respect yours. What bothers me is that we are both as consumers pulling the games in different directions and I would REALLY like to find a compromise if that is possible, that is why I dissect your words looking for this answer.

Haha okay. I think I said awhile ago, I respect your thoughtfulness and your perspective of things.

Compromise is a tricky thing. I stand by my statement, you can never please everyone. There's just too many opinions. So if I were Larian, I'd choose the path most appealing to the most people. Now some would say I'm a dirty capitalist but I think that's the best answer. Of course others would suggest that my answer is not the best either so...round and round we go.

veteran
veteran
Talking about the androgynous male protagonists from Japanese and Korean fiction is a whole 'nother can of beans I think

enthusiast
enthusiast
Hedonism? Ha right on the money. Nailed it.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Spend more time searching "male fantasy art" on pinterest. Especially art made by K-pop fans. Lots of lithe, willowy men. Or just put in "sexy k pop" and see what comes up. Nearly any "males see" / "females see" statment is just a reference the person's individual tastes and a desire to believe those tastes are universal and natural.

(somewhat off topic but it annoys that 'male' and 'female' have become common usage and people avoid using 'men' and 'women' when discussing gender -- makes it sound like a discussion amongst Ferengi)

I know. I'm a full fledged nerd. But again I can understand if what I'm seeing represents a really diffuse trend that involves not a minor fraction of population. Also I learned how the web and social medias tend to give the idea the something is bigger than actually it is. [This is a distorsion that has grwon in the years and is quite rooted].

I use male and female because I like the sound better, also being a biologist to me humans are nothing more than one species between others so to me it comes to talk about males and females. (and again what about doesn't put feelings in everything? is so passive aggressive).

old hand
old hand
A. Stay mostly the same.

B. Practical-looking -- as opposed to strictly realistic.

Originally Posted by DuskHorseman
B: I prefer practical armor. Give Lae'zel pants, Larian! Revealing armor is just kinda... stupid? I'm not a fan, to say the very least.

*angry Hellenic noices*

3) Found only one that is more revealing on males:

It's not really more revealing on males. Different standards. Women and men are not directly equivalently charged in their bodies.

Originally Posted by Umbra
All I know is, if I wore a layer of cloth, and a layer of leather with a layer of mail over all, my tits would squash down.

I also know that I don't get less stratching or chafeing or sunburn than males, so would hope to be wearing pants for running around the wilderness.

That's why I don't mind the armor pictured. You see more tits in less heavy armor, and something like battle armor is supposed to look impressive and overglorified. So I can wave off the titty armor on that.

My one complaint with Gith armor is that Gith are strong but lanky looking. If the female armor lacks pants because of "versatility" it also makes sense for male Gith. The leather wraps are hideous and make my menacing male Gith look like a hobo in half-plate.

As a woman I personally

1. Would like both male and female armours to look the same

2. Yes I guess I sont mind revealing armour for both MEN and women (but please dont make it overbearingly anime like and not immersive)

3. I just want pretty armour that my lil elf can hobble around in.

4. Add clothing as an option (I really liked the outfits in DOS2 and the cute little corset tops)

(P.s. nothing is wrong with the anime look I just personally dont like it, so no offense to anyone here who does)

smile

Last edited by A Clown; 09/01/21 09:05 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by A Clown
4. Add clothing as an option (I really liked the outfits in DOS2 and the cute little corset tops)
Yes, please.

PS: "Skimpy" male armor:

veteran
veteran
I use male and female because I like the sound better, also being a biologist to me humans are nothing more than one species between others so to me it comes to talk about males and females. (and again what about doesn't put feelings in everything? is so passive aggressive).

(Apologies if this posts twice -- I think my comment got lost in the aether)

*nods to fellow nerd*

I didn't understand the bit in parentheses so, focusing on the first statement, I'm an internet rando and as such I dislike 'male' and 'female' because it front-loads any discussion of differences between genders in favor of biological explanations. Humans, as a species, stand apart because of our facility with language and our reliance upon abstractions. We aren't the only cultural animal but our reliance upon culture makes us stand apart from other animals. We are homo sapiens and as such there we have as many difference aesthetic preferences as there are stars in the sky.

Originally Posted by sahardima
Yes, please.

yesss!

Could definitely see that for the barbarian class laugh !!!!!

veteran
veteran
I'm disappointed by pretty much every suit of armor in this game and also by the fact that the game doesn't seem to utilize aesthetic progression in armor as part of the visual characterization. Not at nearly the level I was hoping we'd see by 2021.

Their approach is basically the same as BG1/2 for creating a character's look, still leaving everything to be determined by the single 'chest slot.' Well ok there are silver 'gloves' I guess and a pair of boots. But still, I was at least hoping they'd manage to split the torso from the legs by now. Maybe get some real pantaloons in there or a couple options for grieves and guantlets and such? Here we can't even change our primary and secondary color choice, which is just sad.

I dont mind having different choices for more revealing or less revealing armor sets. Sometimes it makes sense for a character to be sporting a more Greco-Roman look and show off the gams. But all the armor sets here are like one offs and a one-size-fits all sort of look. I'd like to see at least a few variants on normal armor for each set type, and beyond just 1 look for magical armor at each level of enchantment. Its annoying to want to wear less effective equipment simply because the +1 version looks better than the +2 version say. The conventions established in MMOs are much better at this. I wish Larian would take a page from what works there and give their players something more to have fun with in this department.

Also mage robes look equally terrible on both sexes.
And I still have yet to find a hood in this game.

Hopefully they put some zots on this stuff. Its more important for a role playing game. Anyone who thinks they got a lock on arbitrating universal style has their head in the clouds. Tastes are wildly divergent as a genral rule. There should be many more options/model-set for each basic armor type to at least accomodate some sense of individual preferences. But at least let us change colors?

Last edited by Black_Elk; 09/01/21 09:36 PM.
veteran
veteran
I'm mostly OK with the general armor look in the game, but I really want pants on the female githyanki armor and that female chainmail one.
Generally I like more variety and if people like revealing armor then just add different models for the same armor classes - as I said, variety is great.
I personally am sick and tired of chain mail bikinis and am glad, that you do have other options for female characters in most games now.

I like, how it is done in Star Wars - The Old Republic : have a slot for the stats and then wear, whatever you like. Would be a nice feature in this game too.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
As a woman I personally

1. Would like both male and female armours to look the same

2. Yes I guess I sont mind revealing armour for both MEN and women (but please dont make it overbearingly anime like and not immersive)

3. I just want pretty armour that my lil elf can hobble around in.

(P.s. nothing is wrong with the anime look I just personally dont like it, so no offense to anyone here who does)

smile

Aside of your point 4 (I didn't play DOS2), we are on the same page.

It would be nice, in this forum, to have a way to make a poll with some questions and start building some stats.

Last edited by Starlights; 09/01/21 09:42 PM.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by fylimar
I'm mostly OK with the general armor look in the game, but I really want pants on the female githyanki armor and that female chainmail one.
Generally I like more variety and if people like revealing armor then just add different models for the same armor classes - as I said, variety is great.
I personally am sick and tired of chain mail bikinis and am glad, that you do have other options for female characters in most games now.

I like, how it is done in Star Wars - The Old Republic : have a slot for the stats and then wear, whatever you like. Would be a nice feature in this game too.

Exactly!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yes, please.

+1

Larian make this armor happen!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy crap thats awesome. Now I'm set up for disappointment. I hope your happy.

Last edited by Aishaddai; 09/01/21 09:34 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast

Amazing option, truly, only super ''gamey'', it's like, instead of actual loot you find stat boosts.

veteran
veteran
I thought this video fits well in the discussion (and it's funny):

Doctor Who
apprentice
apprentice
Hah, Viva La Dirt League are so good laugh

veteran
veteran

Amazing option, truly, only super ''gamey'', it's like, instead of actual loot you find stat boosts.

No you get armor for your class with the right stats, but you have a second slot option for the armor others see on you - so your jedi can look like a smuggler or your smuggler can have heavy armor on, but still have the right stats for them in another slot. It's basically a utility armor slot and a aestethic one - I find this the most elegant solution tbh. You can look like whatever you want and still have the stats you need.

This for example is a force user outfit, but I'm wearing it on my Rattataki agent, because I love the steampunky look:

Doctor Who
Oooh another thing I wanted to add was the witcher!

I loved all the historical costume inspired armours and clothing they had!

Although I'm not saying make it exactly like that but something that I really love about DnD and any fantasy inspired game/movie is the historical costume references smile
You can see anyway that a few of the armours and clothing in game have already done so, and I have no doubt that more will come soon laugh

(in other words please let us have corsets/stays with cute little poofy undershirts) XD

apprentice
apprentice
+1

Sorry. :P

Last edited by sahardima; 09/01/21 09:50 PM.
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Yes, please.

yesss!

Could definitely see that for the barbarian class laugh !!!!!

Yep but only as winter armor laugh

I thought this video fits well in the discussion (and it's funny):

I had quite a laugh watching this video - that's me !! They just cut it off too soon, that guy would have got a punch in the face LOL ! This is so good LMAO.

I agree. I played SWTOR and yes having a feature adding cloth without touching the bonus of your real armor is awesome.

Yes ! I like that as well. Looks like a DW ranger smile

Finally, we seem to converge in the same direction.

enthusiast
enthusiast
No you get armor for your class with the right stats, but you have a second slot option for the armor others see on you - so your jedi can look like a smuggler or your smuggler can have heavy armor on, but still have the right stats for them in another slot. It's basically a utility armor slot and a aestethic one - I find this the most elegant solution tbh. You can look like whatever you want and still have the stats you need.

I understand, I played a lot of ToR. What I mean is that you find the look you like and then you get ''stats'' that you put into your equipment slots. It just removes that feel of finding good sh*t you know? You go through the dungeon, open a chest and find +2 AC, while you still look exactly the same. Like I said, it's an amazing option but also very ''gamey'', I would not be opposed to having this option, just would have to roleplay in my head really hard.

Last edited by Kadajko; 09/01/21 10:00 PM.
apprentice
apprentice

Summer version?:

:D:D:P

Last edited by sahardima; 09/01/21 10:12 PM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
based tbh.

Frazetta got it right

But realy i cannot stress this enaugh, i dislike how many of the male clothing options (and character models in general) look androgynous or just twinkishl
Even the hide armor doesnt look like a proper barbarian

Last edited by Sordak; 09/01/21 10:11 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
But realy i cannot stress this enaugh, i dislike how many of the male clothing options (and character models in general) look androgynous or just twinkishl
Even the hide armor doesnt look like a proper barbarian

Hah, funny, as a person that actually likes androgynous looks, those are not androgynouus at all. I don't think you know what androgynous is mate.

Last edited by Kadajko; 09/01/21 10:27 PM.
I
old hand
old hand
I
Yes, please.

+1

Thats not armor as the most vital and endangered parts of the body are left unprotected.

Last edited by Ixal; 09/01/21 10:47 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Ixal
Thats nor armor as the most vital and endangered parts of the body are left unprotected.

You are talking to people that prefer aesthetics to realism.

Last edited by Kadajko; 09/01/21 10:35 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Starlights

I agree to that, it's tastefully and fit into the less pragmatic and more into a fantasy world. smile but now that we are talking about this, ahhh .. the female equivalent would be ..ah just no

Isn't priest of Loviatar wearing something similar? He doesn’t have nipple chains but I think he will be happy to have it xD

However, it looks "sexy" only from some perverted side. First, the sexual armor for a male and female character will be visually different. It can't be the same. I am sure that this applies to both women's and men's tastes, as someone here already said, the skirts of git men do not look as sexy as Lae skirt. I would, for example, bare their breasts, instead of legs. Remember the trailer in the game! They were half-naked on dragons, very hot. Impractical, but hot.

What you see in this image is female sexuality, well, or it suited some very mannered and unusual male character.
But if it was a female character (and then the chest would be closed, which is logical), then this costume would look very cool. Although the rivets on the skin.. Oh, my God.

Thats not armor as the most vital and endangered parts of the body are left unprotected.

o.O - Hello ?!

Can you scroll up to the post about "Female armor in games - Breastplate" and comeback here with your comment ?

addict
addict
I am fine with most of the dimorphism, though I do feel some of the female options leave a bit to be desired. What I really want is for the different color schemes to become a variant for male and female. What? Only women can wear green? That makes no sense! Chain shirt 2's colors would be great for a ranger.

That said, chain shirt 2 also shows one of the complaints I have about the dimorphism of the armor styles. Why is the chain part of the chain shirt only visible for the males? The female set looks nothing like mail of any sort. It looks like cloth or maybe leather armor.

veteran
veteran

Isn't priest of Loviatar wearing something similar? He doesn’t have nipple chains but I think he will be happy to have it xD

However, it looks "sexy" only from some perverted side. First, the sexual armor for a male and female character will be visually different. It can't be the same. I am sure that this applies to both women's and men's tastes, as someone here already said, the skirts of git men do not look as sexy as Lae skirt. I would, for example, bare their breasts, instead of legs. Remember the trailer in the game! They were half-naked on dragons, very hot. Impractical, but hot.

What you see in this image is female sexuality, well, or it suited some very mannered and unusual male character.
But if it was a female character (and then the chest would be closed, which is logical), then this costume would look very cool. Although the rivets on the skin.. Oh, my God.

I think, that priest of Loviatar really has a similar armor. I must say, it's not really my cup of tea - be it for male or female - , but that's why I would like variety.

Doctor Who
enthusiast
enthusiast

This one has more Vanity.

However, it looks "sexy" only from some perverted side.

In what sense is it perverted?

First, the sexual armor for a male and female character will be visually different. It can't be the same.

It's both, there are some armors that are different and some that are the same, you can see it from the OP, I can post more examples of the same if you want.

I am sure that this applies to both women's and men's tastes.

Depends on the individual.

As someone here already said, the skirts of git men do not look as sexy as Lae skirt.

You mean this?

Originally Posted by AvatarOfSHODAN
The leather wraps are hideous and make my menacing male Gith look like a hobo in half-plate.

That's because of the wraps.

What you see in this image is female sexuality.

No, females are not born in clothes, those were made by people, and clothes don't have a sex. You can call it feminine though.

Last edited by Kadajko; 09/01/21 11:42 PM.
E
stranger
stranger
E
They could add an option to customize armor in a blacksmith. the armor could be divide in sections that could be turned on or off. So if you want more skin, turn off some sections... If you want it to cover more, turned it on.. Some parts could be replaced and/or dyed

And every one would be happy.

Last edited by eestabil; 10/01/21 12:41 AM.
Originally Posted by eestabil
They could add an option to customize armor in a blacksmith. the armor could be divide in sections that could be turned on or off. So if you want more skin, turn off some sections... If you want it to cover more, turned it on.. Some parts could be replaced and/or dyed

And every one wold be happy.
+1. I would also like much more in the armor customization department.

I honestly hope you have a most marvelous day!

Summer version?:

I think I found the armor for my male barbarian! Bless you wink

To me that dude is "sexy" although its not my thing because of the rivets and rings in the skin. And through reverse image search it is intended to be sexy. He is a priest of a god of "Lust, pride and self-indulgence."

@Nyloth Took me a second to get what you meant by "female sexuality", because the half naked dude under the spoiler tag was more tantalizing to me as a woman attracted to men (though unfortunately, the bara art style isn't usually intended for a female audience), but I think I get what you mean. Picture in your mind what a sexy, evil sorceress would look like - its easy to visualize because its such a trope. Make her male and that's that picture. Legs out with a trailing robe, and the male equivalent of showing cleavage. I disagree that it doesn't work here, but if you're not used to this sort of thing, I respect our difference in tastes.

Last edited by AvatarOfSHODAN; 10/01/21 01:36 AM.
old hand
old hand
I think there should be multiple styles of armour for each type. Some can be "sexy" and some can be normal for both sexes. Also dyes, we have a framework for a crafting system and can collect herbs already. Each type of armour could have racial styles and also class styles. Something like Drow Cleric style for females I would expect to be "sexy" but some others I would expect to be practical. Ideally both sexes could wear whichever version they wished but that may be hard to add since the bodies are obviously shaped differently.

Personal preference, I prefer practical armour but I am not against the inclusion of more revealing stuff as long as there are plenty of options for everyone. Of the armours you showed, the Hide+1 looks the best, of course I would like to darken it a lot more.

Oh, and please no ridiculous pauldrons unless they can be added separately for those that like them. I like spiky stuff and skulls and all that, but stabbing myself with my own armour is just not my thing.

enthusiast
enthusiast

Summer version?:

Ahhh the only way to play a wizard. You have good taste. 100 percent the wizard Mystra told Gale not to worry about. I would definitely main wizard if I had this in bg3 buffness and all.

Last edited by Aishaddai; 10/01/21 03:00 AM.

Summer version?:

Ahhh the only way to play a wizard. You have good taste. 100 percent the wizard Mystra told Gale not to worry about. I would definitely main wizard if I had this in bg3 buffness and all.

Bah, if you can scroll up to @sahardima post and get the context, I understand the point/joke she was trying to make and it was good. But, even though I may enjoy male in sexy armor, this pic is off the chart. Seeing that bag of muscle chasing monsters in a speedo (is it chained speedo ?) is just ridiculous. But, I don't know, the few people here that has thrown the "fantasy world" card might like it I guess.

D
addict
addict
D
I like boobs, so I'm not really going to complain about female armor that follows breast contours. However... its not terribly realistic. I'm sure that building armor like that would be terribly impractical, and probably dangerous since it deflects attacks towards your heart. Not a good idea.

I don't really feel strongly either way, but I lean slightly towards more realistic breastplates that would basically look the same for men and women, rather than have them be form fitting death traps for women.

O
OcO Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
O
Originally Posted by DuskHorseman
Originally Posted by eestabil

And every one wold be happy.
+1. I would also like much more in the armor customization department.

I see your +1 and raise you a +1.
I'll pretty much always vote for more customization options.

apprentice
apprentice

Summer version?:

Bah, if you can scroll up to @sahardima post and get the context, I understand the point/joke she was trying to make and it was good. But, even though I may enjoy male in sexy armor, this pic is off the chart. Seeing that bag of muscle chasing monsters in a speedo (is it chained speedo ?) is just ridiculous. But, I don't know, the few people here that has thrown the "fantasy world" card might like it I guess.
[quote=sahardima][quote=Bufotenina]Yep but only as winter armor laugh

Summer version?:

Yup, it was a joke. Still, this sort of armor would be appealing for some people.

Originally Posted by Zarna
I think there should be multiple styles of armour for each type. Some can be "sexy" and some can be normal for both sexes. Also dyes, we have a framework for a crafting system and can collect herbs already. Each type of armour could have racial styles and also class styles. Something like Drow Cleric style for females I would expect to be "sexy" but some others I would expect to be practical. Ideally both sexes could wear whichever version they wished but that may be hard to add since the bodies are obviously shaped differently.

It will be a good compromise.

Last edited by sahardima; 10/01/21 08:57 AM.
addict
addict
In what sense is it perverted?
Sorry, I meant "specific", something like that. Note that the priest loviatar has CERTAIN HOBBIES. If you know what I mean... The female audience most likely will not consider these clothes for male sexy, most likely SPECIFIC. My personal opinion of course.

It's both, there are some armors that are different and some that are the same, you can see it from the OP, I can post more examples of the same if you want.
I'm about 'sexy' armor. Not this one.

Depends on the individual.
Not really? There are certain stereotypes that the male and female audience likes, which are emphasized. Let us proceed from this majority, not from individuals.

No, females are not born in clothes, those were made by people, and clothes don't have a sex. You can call it feminine though.

As a woman, I know very well that a woman is not born in clothes. But I understand that we live in a society, and there are certain things that look good on a woman, and there are some that look good on a man. Which attracts most of the audience depending on gender.

There are some exceptions in clothing that is "unisex" and looks good on anyone. But If you dress a man in a dress, for example, not every woman will like it and not every woman will find a man in a dress attractive.
That's what I'm talking about.

I disagree that it doesn't work here, but if you're not used to this sort of thing, I respect our difference in tastes.

I understand that it works for some people, but I prefer to think about the majority. Most people love masculinity in men and femininity in women. This image is VERY SPECIFIC for a male character, but VERY COMMON for a female one.

If I saw such a character I would say "oh wow!" (of any gender). But I wouldn't wear this robe on Astarion, just for fun maybe xd

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Zarna

Personal preference, I prefer practical armour but I am not against the inclusion of more revealing stuff as long as there are plenty of options for everyone. Of the armours you showed, the Hide+1 looks the best, of course I would like to darken it a lot more.

Oh, and please no ridiculous pauldrons unless they can be added separately for those that like them. I like spiky stuff and skulls and all that, but stabbing myself with my own armour is just not my thing.

A good idea, but I don't think they will implement it because they will have to pay for additional clothing models/concepts(??). In fact, EPIC and good-looking armor doesn't have to be exposed. You can be sexy without exposed body parts. The problem is that now there is simply no such armor in the game. Right now the most terrible clothes for magicians, my opinion. That awful robe that only changes color.

enthusiast
enthusiast
A year or two down the line we will hopefully get something similar to the customization in Skyrim SE. That level of freedom is where my two cents would go. I dont mind skimpy or revealing armour for both men and women as I think we are making a choice outwith the "normal" constraints of reality. Besides, most real, historical fighting armour was pretty bland and utilitairian. You need it to stop steel, not look good. I wonder if however there could be "some" benefit from wearing little or even no armour in battle real or fantasy. The Picts (probably some of my ancestors) took on the Romansand each other (allegedly) in the nip (nude although adorned with some blueish paint). I mean yes, they did probably lose a lot of fights, but the Picts did prevent the Romans completely dominating their culture. Perhaps there is something in charging bollock naked at your enemy.... You might just distract them enough to get a sneaky stab in whilst they oggle your ... bits. So sexy armour? Yes please but make it a choice or let us mod that choice. Which I'm sure they will.

apprentice
apprentice
Wizard robes are hmm, just generic. Not bad, but not good too. I want more variety.
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]
[[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

veteran
veteran
Wizard robes are hmm, just generic. Not bad, but not good too. I want more variety.
[[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ohh - I like the first and the third one. Wizards do need more variety.

Doctor Who
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by dwig
I like boobs, so I'm not really going to complain about female armor that follows breast contours. However... its not terribly realistic. I'm sure that building armor like that would be terribly impractical, and probably dangerous since it deflects attacks towards your heart. Not a good idea.

I don't really feel strongly either way, but I lean slightly towards more realistic breastplates that would basically look the same for men and women, rather than have them be form fitting death traps for women.

Actually boob armor is not that bad, check this out:

Someone on reddit did have a funny go at this though:

Original:

Modified:

enthusiast
enthusiast
Let us proceed from this majority, not from individuals.

This is the main point I think where we disagree. I think that an RPG in which you can make your character and choose your story, customization and options as well as aesthetics should be an aggregate of many different things that individuals like, including popular things, but not strictly what majority likes.

Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Topper
A year or two down the line we will hopefully get something similar to the customization in Skyrim SE. That level of freedom is where my two cents would go. I dont mind skimpy or revealing armour for both men and women as I think we are making a choice outwith the "normal" constraints of reality. Besides, most real, historical fighting armour was pretty bland and utilitairian. You need it to stop steel, not look good. I wonder if however there could be "some" benefit from wearing little or even no armour in battle real or fantasy. The Picts (probably some of my ancestors) took on the Romansand each other (allegedly) in the nip (nude although adorned with some blueish paint). I mean yes, they did probably lose a lot of fights, but the Picts did prevent the Romans completely dominating their culture. Perhaps there is something in charging bollock naked at your enemy.... You might just distract them enough to get a sneaky stab in whilst they oggle your ... bits. So sexy armour? Yes please but make it a choice or let us mod that choice. Which I'm sure they will.

I'm in no way an expert on this, but if you're referring to medieval armor i believe it did look good way back when with its narrow waist and wide shoulders look, which is also how they depicted people in their art. Much like how greeks were really into simmetry, perfect proportions and peak physical condition, and that blended into armors having abs, nipples and all that.

D
stranger
stranger
D

This is the main point I think where we disagree. I think that an RPG in which you can make your character and choose your story, customization and options as well as aesthetics should be an aggregate of many different things that individuals like, including popular things, but not strictly what majority likes.

You seem to forget that Larian needs to make money. That means keeping development cost within reason and releasing a product that the majority of people of the TARGET AUDIENCE will like/buy.

And no amount of philosophizing will change that. Welcome to the real world.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Darun
You seem to forget that Larian needs to make money. That means keeping development cost within reason and releasing a product that the majority of people of the TARGET AUDIENCE will like/buy.

All variety of choice that is offered improves the worth of every option.

Probably 90%, if not more, of people will defend the tieflings, only a small % of people will actually kill them, but the existence of that choice makes it worth something in contrast, if the plot was railroaded for us to do what the majorirty would do, it would not be as satisfying. Same for options with appearence and aesthetics, your personal choice matters.

By the nature of the genre - RPG, it thrives when it offers unique niche options, otherwise, what is the point of a choice if the only choice that is offered is what majority would do anyway, you can just make a linear adventure game then with a set protagonist Tav with a vault dweller appearence.

PS. This logic in general is also just so funny to me.
-Hey, what kind of game do you want to see?
-The kind that will make money!

Last edited by Kadajko; 10/01/21 01:24 PM.
veteran
veteran
I don't think, that variety has to be expensive. There are a lot of nice looking armor models already in game, just not for our PC. I for example love Kaghas armor very much and some of the armor, that looks more like clothing, some of the tieflings wear. Give some dye options and some variants of existing armor and it would be a lot better.
Even for the more exclusive taste like that guy, that looked like the Loviathar priest, you have already armor models. So I'm theory a lot of different models for different tastes are already in the game, just not necessarily for the player.

Doctor Who
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Innateagle
Originally Posted by Topper

I'm in no way an expert on this, but if you're referring to medieval armor i believe it did look good way back when with its narrow waist and wide shoulders look, which is also how they depicted people in their art. Much like how greeks were really into simmetry, perfect proportions and peak physical conditional, and that blended into armors having abs, nipples and all that.

Very true, there are some beautiful examples of armour throught history. I was thinking more about day to day armour that the average soldier could afford and maintain. If you want to outfit an army, I guess you want to keep the costs down as much as possible so no expensive filigree or gold etching. A lord or baron etc would absolutely most likely have gone for elaborate armour.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Originally Posted by Darun

And giving a choice won't arm the sells. The point is choice, to every one. I don't like the current homogeny of armors or the fact that almost all forms of clothing recall moralistic ages, when in this years freedom of choice should be the driving motor.

The lack of choice and diversity in armor styles and dressing is even more obvious and blatant when you have different races with different cultures that wear the same identical clothes and style of armors. The only ones that have different armors are the Goblins.

Furthermore Larian build this games doing an improvement of the motor they used with their previous hit games, and in that games there was a lot more diversity, armors changed the aspect based on the race, elvens had a style that reminded their ties with forests, dawrfs have armors that recalled their being bulk and strong, the magistrates robes clearly reminded of their being a mix between a military and religious order, Lhose's armor clearly reflected her complicated nature and so on, that means that Larian already has the code needed to allow at least a little more of plasticity.

enthusiast
enthusiast

Summer version?:

So too much male sex appeal? Lol

I'm teasing. No need to take it so serious. My problem is when people complain about exaggerated female attire that focuses on feminine traits gets heated up, but when male attire gets put into question they don't put masculine traits. They put the most feminine crap they could think of on a man. Very inconsistent.

enthusiast
enthusiast
They put the most feminine crap they could think of on a man. Very inconsistent.

No, it's not the most feminine crap, it's just the same, and it is very consistent. The equivalent of the revealing barbarian would be this:

And there is nothing wrong with either.

I
old hand
old hand
I

Except that this is also not armor. Remember the thread topic?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Except that this is also not armor. Remember the thread topic?

By game terminology it is, we even discuss robes here, we dicsuss the things that go into your torso slot, if you want to get pedantic about it.

Last edited by Kadajko; 10/01/21 02:47 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
They put the most feminine crap they could think of on a man. Very inconsistent.

No, it's not the most feminine crap, it's just the same, and it is very consistent. The equivalent of the revealing barbarian would be this:

Ok so returning to some of your original statements, would you put that bra on a male barbarian? You want armors to look the same right? I wouldn't. Thats part of being reasonable. You seem to have a huge bias to putting feminine traits on men so i'm curious.

Join my reasonable side. You cannot fight forever. Let it flow through you. We will be the buffest speedo wizards feyrun has ever seen.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Ok so returning to some of your original statements, would you put that bra on a male barbarian?

No, and if we go to my earlier post you will see that the chest is bare and not with a bra on:

You seem to have a huge bias to putting feminine traits on men so i'm curious.

No, I want to see both. I want to see muscular male barbarians and muscular female barbarians, I want to see sexy female sorceresses and sexy male sorcerers.

Join my reasonable side.

It's not about reason, I just genuenly like both and find both aethetically pleasing without having double standards, it would make me happy to see both. My problem usually is that I want to play a feminine male character or a masculine female character and I can't, because the game doesn't allow me to do that.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Finally to the root.

I understood what you wanted from the get go. You kept trying to avoid saying it.

All I can say without spiraling into a very different topic, is that you can't have polar opposites be happy in the same space. You like to meld everything together and ignore that boundaries exists for a reason. Individuality I think is what you are missing in understanding. Harmony is an illusion. You can't please everyone because individuality exists.

Don't know if you will understand what I'm trying to say, but thats ok. I've had my fun. I'm done for now. The topic turned out funnier then I expected.

veteran
veteran
Barbarian don't where armor because thematically they're supposed to represent primal vitality, as opposed to knights who represent a 'civilized' warrior, defined by their armor.
By this turn they also don't where cold weather clothing because unlike the races who abandoned nature they haven't grown so soft to need such protection

It's not all about the beefcake factor.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I understood what you wanted from the get go. You kept trying to avoid saying it.

What do you mean i tried to avoid it? Lol

All I can say without spiraling into a very different topic, is that you can't have polar opposites be happy in the same space.

That's why I made this topic, I wanted to see the amount of people that don't care vs amount of people that do one way or the other.

Don't know if you will understand what I'm trying to say, but thats ok.

I understand.

S
veteran
veteran
S
Oh man, people overanalyzing things to the point where nothing makes sense anymore.

Ive said this in anothert thread. Conventional wisdom isnt wrong just because you can go down a rabbithole of explaining it away.

What most people consider "sexy" probably is, what most people consider "feminine" probably is. IF you need to explain why something is what you claim that it is, it probably isnt.

>Its not all about the beefcake factor
But it mostly is.
Down to ancient history and the romans discribing celtic gesetae that were young men in their prime fighting naked.

Public conception dabs on attempts at deconstruction.
Ar barbarian should be a rippling mountain of muscle.

>sexy male sorcerers

What is sexy on a woman is not sexy on a man and vice versa.
Toned muscular women? pretty sexy. Bulky women with a neck like an ox? Probably not sexy for most people.

Soft sensual sorcress dressed in whispy silk? probably sexy, twink dressed in his undies? probably not sexy for most people.

I say "fo rmost people" so someone doesnt jump to "Ackschually i fap to that".

Last edited by Sordak; 10/01/21 04:07 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Conventional wisdom isnt wrong

Maybe yes, maybe no, you have to question things to find out, times change, enviroment changes, some wisdom is still valid some is outdated.

What most people consider "sexy" probably is.

There is a difference between wisdom and taste.

What is sexy on a woman is not sexy on a man and vice versa.

That is your opinion, which is not right or wrong. But when you go from ''I want to see males that look like blank and females that look like blank'' to ''Males ought to look like blank and females ought to look like blank'' you go from having a valid opinion to being wrong and irrational, UNLESS you go down a rabbithole of explaining of why that is and providing good logical and rational points that support your position.

Oh man, people overanalyzing things to the point where nothing makes sense anymore.

It is a very bad sign that your position stops making sense once you start to analyze it.

Last edited by Kadajko; 10/01/21 05:06 PM.
Originally Posted by starlights
Summer version?:

So too much male sex appeal? Lol

I'm teasing. No need to take it so serious. My problem is when people complain about exaggerated female attire that focuses on feminine traits gets heated up, but when male attire gets put into question they don't put masculine traits. They put the most feminine crap they could think of on a man. Very inconsistent.[/quote]

Don't know if you will understand what I'm trying to say, but thats ok. I've had my fun. I'm done for now.

Wait, you're not off the hook yet. smile

have a look here, https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/651262796083912198/, to see some armor, I searched for "roman armor" on pinterest. This is stylish, practical and something men could love in a game, I guess (sharing my BF). It's not fully padded but convey the message that you are actually going to fight and need protection without compromising the weight of the armor (which make you less efficient), especially if you are going to walk, run (and jump like crazy) for a long time. After all characters, here, are adventurer.

That touch of realism, for an RPG is cool, that's what makes me give the money.

The mage dress design a la Gandalf, the typical wizard robe, is a stereotype that I hope we will get rid of someday - prob not, sign ..
But there are other cool avenues: https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/342836590384906515/
Give mage pants or better outfit !! And throughout this path the "sexy" will come.

But it doesn’t have to be all about boobs & bra and buttcheek - these parts also needs protections if you still want to keep enjoying looking at them smile

Last edited by Starlights; 10/01/21 05:38 PM.

old hand
old hand
Mages can't wear pants. Pants get in the way of the magic.

It is known.

I disagree that it doesn't work here, but if you're not used to this sort of thing, I respect our difference in tastes.

I understand that it works for some people, but I prefer to think about the majority. Most people love masculinity in men and femininity in women. This image is VERY SPECIFIC for a male character, but VERY COMMON for a female one.

If I saw such a character I would say "oh wow!" (of any gender). But I wouldn't wear this robe on Astarion, just for fun maybe xd

Very true - not the sort of thing I'd just throw on a character. Skimpy/sexy armor has an element of being a feast for the eyes in a carnal & literal sense than a metaphorical aesthetic. I feel like Astarion's character would have issues with the former, where the latter is more his style. I could see Tekehu from PoE2 able to pull off a skimpy robe in a non-evil looking variety, because it matches his character to flaunt himself. His body type is the Adonis type, rather than lean, but he could still pull it off.

As far as where the rest of this thread is going at this point, I'll just say this: Practical armor is probably what is preferred by the "majority" of the combined target audience, and for the most part that's what Larian seems to be going for at this time (titty half plate aside). Armor conforms properly by physical frame, showing more contours in light armor, and less in heavier ones. Hopefully they do change up the hideous spellcaster robes though - providing a choice between the standard mage dress style but also for simple clothing as well.

If they did add gratuitous sexy armor, I'd honestly be disappointed if they made it only for females and did not make a good looking equivalent for males. Briefs are not an equivalent to an armored bikini. That sets a precedent that I question like how all the women in D:OS1 all fought in heels. In other fantasy games, battle armor has non-phallic, rated PG-13 codpieces that add an additional place for an insignia or house crest. There's a way to make men look good, and emphasize their physique without solely appealing to one audience or another. Something like that barbarian picture linked before, but just a little more...

Last edited by AvatarOfSHODAN; 10/01/21 05:58 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
If they did add gratuitous sexy armor, I'd honestly be disappointed if they made it only for females and did not make a good looking equivalent for males. Briefs are not an equivalent to an armored bikini. That sets a precedent that I question like how all the women in D:OS1 all fought in heels. In other fantasy games, battle armor has non-phallic, rated PG-13 codpieces that add an additional place for an insignia or house crest. There's a way to make men look good, and emphasize their physique without solely appealing to one audience or another. Something like that barbarian picture linked before, but just a little more...

True. I hope for variety of armors. Something for both sides.

veteran
veteran
So much overthinking for something so obvious. Almost all games cater to male power fantasies. If the men are exposed, it's to show how masculine and powerful they are. Female characters are there for the men to look at.

This concept is so ingrained into really any media that I'd bet most people don't even notice it anymore. That's why it's still very odd for gamers (in general, not all) when they see a trans character, or a gay male couple. the default for almost any game is: Girls look sexy, boys look badass. Honestly I'd be surprised if most video game armor designers even think "oh, this needs to be sexy" when designing female armor, it's just the default.

...snip ..That sets a precedent that I question like how all the women in D:OS1 all fought in heels.

ha !
who ever wants to respond to that with the "fantasy world card" again, just before you do so, grab your girl friend or you mom's heels and go for a walk outside - 1-2 miles. Please - just a walk, because in game characters are running - don't run for this test ! So after the "WALK" assuming your ankles are still intact, come back here with your experience smile We can keep talk about fantasy then.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
Almost all games cater to male power fantasies.

Not all males have the same fantasies.

Originally Posted by Boblawblah
So much overthinking for something so obvious. Almost all games cater to male power fantasies. If the men are exposed, it's to show how masculine and powerful they are. Female characters are there for the men to look at.

This concept is so ingrained into really any media that I'd bet most people don't even notice it anymore. That's why it's still very odd for gamers (in general, not all) when they see a trans character, or a gay male couple. the default for almost any game is: Girls look sexy, boys look badass. Honestly I'd be surprised if most video game armor designers even think "oh, this needs to be sexy" when designing female armor, it's just the default.

Oh gosh ... ok. I'm a girl and I think the opposite ! Girls are badass and we enjoy looking at sexy men. And in this "fantasy world", I would invite you for a walk in the underdark and have a pit stop at the Menzoberranzan city, prepare to be chocked.

Last edited by Starlights; 10/01/21 07:06 PM.

veteran
veteran
It is known. Nothing under the robes.

On the Gith armor and the rest it should go either way -- either give men and women pants or take them from both. I think the aesthetic the artists were going for was high fantasy Spartan. So if Greek armor is the basis both would have greaves but otherwise bare legs.

And I'd like that representation throughout the game -- if you are going to give Wyll's patron a neckline that plunges all the way to the top of the pubis, do the same for Cazador or some other figure.

veteran
veteran
But when you go from ''I want to see males that look like blank and females that look like blank'' to ''Males ought to look like blank and females ought to look like blank'' you go from having a valid opinion to being wrong and irrational . . .

I agree with this -- even if wouldn't say 'irrational' because of all the connotations of that word. I think many people have a desire to believe that there tastes are universal and natural. I suspect that this is because people want to believe their tastes are something more solid than tastes, that these are something solid, something concrete or based upon something solid and concrete.

enthusiast
enthusiast
@Starlights To be straight with you i'm not a fan of the centurion style armors. A girl has to buy me dinner first to glimpse at my quads. If anything I prefer Aragon and Boromirs style from Lord of the rings. Assuming you want to be on the realistic-ish side of things. I'm partial to frontline fighting but if i had to pick mage attire I'd roll with maybe jedi/sith robes. Swotor has a very nice selection of variations. I lean towards modest attire regardless.

addict
addict

You won't be able to please everyone, which is why it's best to target the majority. Individual approach is very good, I agree with you! But often it is not implemented in games, because there is too much variability, so many tastes and views...

addict
addict
If they did add gratuitous sexy armor, I'd honestly be disappointed if they made it only for females and did not make a good looking equivalent for males.

I agree with this, it should be done for both, sexy or practical, it does not matter. But it should be different. I believe that women's and men's armor should be different. Both in the case of a practical option, and in the case of a sexual one. At least for the sake of visual diversity.

@Starlights To be straight with you i'm not a fan of the centurion style armors. A girl has to buy me dinner first to glimpse at my quads. If anything I prefer Aragon and Boromirs style from Lord of the rings. Assuming you want to be on the realistic-ish side of things. I'm partial to frontline fighting but if i had to pick mage attire I'd roll with maybe jedi/sith robes. Swotor has a very nice selection of variations. I lean towards modest attire regardless.

ok, fair enough for both examples. The roman armor example is an idea to stay protected while having agility. Perhaps, if I go to the other extreme that I don't like and find ridiculous, is something like this for both male/female:

That looks like a coke can; adventuring with that for days doesn't work out for me.

Last edited by Starlights; 10/01/21 07:36 PM.

enthusiast
enthusiast

ok, fair enough for both examples. The roman armor example is an idea to stay protected while having agility. Perhaps, if I go to the other extreme that I don't like and find ridiculous, is something like this for both male/female:

That looks like a coke can; adventuring with that for days doesn't work out for me.

Ok so with this armor it would depend on the game itself. In realistic leaning game setting this armor is problematic. The armor would be slow with rigid and limited movement. Double plated in some area's is foolish.The weak points of this armor is the armpit and the back of the knee. The plated neck means he wont turn fast and the double plated shoulders means his range is shorter than it looks. He is a dead man in a realistic game.

In a free full fantasy setting this armor is amazing. I'll just anime magic the things. I have zero problems with this. In fact I prefer it. At least I have a larger variety of things to wear. More fun for me. Fun is a priority for me after all. However I believe, in some things at least, a middle ground can be fun. Even more so than extremes.

If we are talking just purely about looks, I think it looks great.

S
addict
addict
S
Oh, boy! Let me see if I understand this right. The original poster is offended and complains in a roundabout way about perceived sexism because Larian has two armor sets out of eight, where the legs of the female variants are bared as opposed to the male variants. She then proceeds to question the principles/double standards of those who like women in a fantasy game to be a little more feminine and revealing. Yet she has no objections to the barebreasted male clothing, in fact, she wants quite a bit more of it - suggesting the one of the most vulgar armors I've seen, easily the equal of any silly chain mail bikini, is tasteful. Am I missing something, or is this a case of deliciously involuntary irony? wink

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Two to the left: SEXIST! Two to the right: TASTEFUL!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Seraphael
Let me see if I understand this right. The original poster is offended and complains

Not even close. lul

She then proceeds to question the principles/double standards of those who like women in a fantasy game to be a little more feminine and revealing.

No, those who like women in a fantasy games to be a little more feminine and revealing BUT are against the same applying to men if the outfit is the same.

Two to the left: SEXIST! Two to the right: TASTEFUL!

The main point is that it's different, innit? Sexism is not the outfit but the difference, three to the left btw. I don't have a problem with females wearing the outfit on the right, I actually have zero problems with ANY outfits whatsoever.

Am I missing something, or is this a case of deliciously involuntary irony?

When you see what you want to see, how can it not be?

Last edited by Kadajko; 10/01/21 08:01 PM.
S
addict
addict
S
No, those who like women in a fantasy games to be a little more feminine and revealing BUT are against the same applying to men if the outfit is the same.

The main point is that it's different, innit? Sexism is not the outfit but the difference, three to the left btw. I don't have a problem with females wearing the outfit on the right, I actually have zero problems with ANY outfits whatsoever.

Come on...honesty! You found bare female legs tasteless, but pierced man-titties tasteful lol. If it was truly only about this extremist view of equality, not mixed in with your very own set of double standards, you would logically have objected to the bared male nipples as a *much* worse offender than bared female legs instead of suggesting more of it. When you call out others for hypocrisy albeit in a nice manner, you better be sure your own doorstep is squeaky clean wink

Am I missing something, or is this a case of deliciously involuntary irony?

When you see what you want to see, how can it not be?
Ah! More delicious involuntary irony!

Last edited by Seraphael; 10/01/21 08:18 PM.
veteran
veteran
Are we reading the same forum?

enthusiast
enthusiast
You found bare female legs tasteless.

I found that armor trashy because the legs are bare out of the blue while the rest of the armor design seems to be pulling in another direction, it would look equally trashy on a male, while the purple robe would look good on a female also and has a design that works. Even your typical chainmail bikini looks better than that example, because atleast it is designed to be sexy, this one however looks like a more serious armor but the female randomly forgot to put her pants on.

If it was truly only about this extremist view of equality and not your very own set of double standards, you would logically have objected to the bared male nipples as a *much* worse offender than bared female legs instead of suggesting more of it.

I don't have double standards. As tasteless as that armor is, removing pants from the male model also would already make it fine for me.

Ah! More delicious involuntary irony!

Yes, more irony is always welcome.

Last edited by Kadajko; 10/01/21 08:26 PM.
old hand
old hand
a) Do you think that armor should morph depending on ones sex or stay the same?

It all depends on how the armor morphs. It should change to fit the shape of the body underneath, obviously. If design and color changes too, that's... okay, I guess, as long as the armor isn't made "feminine" just by taking away bits of it, as in some of your examples. That's lazy, and reveals how much male = default is still built into our thinking.

b) Do you prefer more practical armor or like the inclusion of revealing armor?

I want both, so I can dress my stereotypically seductive sorcerer differently than my stereotypically studious wizard. Regardless of whether those characters are male or female.

veteran
veteran
I don't consider the Gith armor to be trashy -- it's just a weird mix. It's space fantasy top, Hopilite on the bottom. My guess as to why is that the writers have gone for Gith culture = Ancient Spartan culture. People keep saying Roman centurion but I'm seeing Greek:

[Linked Image from 1.bp.blogspot.com]

[Linked Image from comicvine1.cbsistatic.com]

enthusiast
enthusiast
@KillerRabbit

We talking about this one though, not the Gith armor:

veteran
veteran
Ah right. Never found that in the game so it hasn't penetrated my consciousness. Yeah, pretty blatant double standard. Should go either way. Give the women pants or give the men skirts like Hector is wearing.

I don't consider the Gith armor to be trashy -- it's just a weird mix. It's space fantasy top, Hopilite on the bottom. My guess as to why is that the writers have gone for Gith culture = Ancient Spartan culture. People keep saying Roman centurion but I'm seeing Greek:

[Linked Image from 1.bp.blogspot.com]

[Linked Image from comicvine1.cbsistatic.com]

Definitely what I also envision for the Gith.

@KillerRabbit

We talking about this one though, not the Gith armor:

That armor's clearly not finished - look at the boots. That one's not in the game yet if I remember correctly.

In OP, Half Plate +1 was pictured. I can't remember if that's in the game/wearable either. Is it?

old hand
old hand
Gith should go into battle completely naked and will themselves some armour

enthusiast
enthusiast
That armor's clearly not finished - look at the boots.

Maybe yes maybe not, wouldn't say clearly.

In OP, Half Plate +1 was pictured. I can't remember if that's in the game/wearable either. Is it?

Not sure, haven't found it myself.

I
old hand
old hand
I

Ok so with this armor it would depend on the game itself. In realistic leaning game setting this armor is problematic. The armor would be slow with rigid and limited movement. Double plated in some area's is foolish.The weak points of this armor is the armpit and the back of the knee. The plated neck means he wont turn fast and the double plated shoulders means his range is shorter than it looks. He is a dead man in a realistic game.

In a free full fantasy setting this armor is amazing. I'll just anime magic the things. I have zero problems with this. In fact I prefer it. At least I have a larger variety of things to wear. More fun for me. Fun is a priority for me after all. However I believe, in some things at least, a middle ground can be fun. Even more so than extremes.

If we are talking just purely about looks, I think it looks great.

And yet that is how actual armor looks like.
As for being slow with rigid movement....
[video:youtube]
[/video]

A thing with armour is, you don't wear it all day everyday.

You wear it to a riot, arena fight, or battle, and then you change back into your own clothes or workwear. So those naked germans mentioned earlier would put clothes on after the fighting, and the KiSA would take off the armour and just wear the underlying hose and gambeson or whatever.

My point is, a lot of the more extreme armours look daft if they are all your character is ever wearing regardless of what they are doing - for fights that intimidating perv armour is great, but the shopkeeper would maybe refuse to serve you (think of poor Arron, he'd be left talking to your posing pouch!), and your character would get some horrid chafeing if they tried sleeping in it!

enthusiast
enthusiast
That armor video is amazing.

I think we're playing with words muddy a bit the thread.

Simple:
Spartan Armor AND/OR centurion/roman armor, yes good - but it wasn't really the point.

But in game, for women I see legs and for the same armor on men I see full padding, why ? Is it sexist ?

Trying to rationalise that with some example where "it's okay to see legs for men too, it doesn't make them any less badass and it's more practical when walking for days as adventurer and bla .." is what, for one, I used as an attempt to make my point.

if you pull that pic with that cleric and the blue dress half naked, that is just another example to convey the point that yep it's possible on men too.

That video with the armor is a joke. Was that aluminum ? C'mon doing a back flip ?

Watch this guy here and try imagining the guy doing a back flip once he's done dressing ...

[/video]

But again, we are moving away from the topic

Last edited by Starlights; 10/01/21 10:18 PM.

N
apprentice
apprentice
N
I'm pretty certain the lack of pants for the female armor versions is just those pieces being incomplete, hence why they aren't accessibly normally. If they are really like that, it's a joke though.

enthusiast
enthusiast
@Ixal yeah no. You are not immovable in armor, true. The point is you are slower. A decently trained swordsman would kill him. Combat is more intense than light exercise. You will want you perception to match your reaction as much as possible. If you can move well in full plate armor then you don't need it. The whole point of armor is to take a blow and be able to continue. Thing is a wide variety of weapons exists of different penetration and weight excluding tech like guns. If you are talking history then it's a moot point.

@Starlights Who said anything about impossible? It is wholeheartedly less baddass. Why not just let men wear pants? Perverts. Why on gods relatively green earth are you all fighting to remove pants? You all talk about sexism but instead of advocating to give Laezel some pants, which not a single person in this 8 page topic is against from what I can tell, you want to remove men pants?

Its crazy. You all agree its a feminine style, but "you don't mind". Yeah because you aren't dudes. You want dudes to look a certain way. Sounds sexist to me. You have become your own enemy. How does it feel?

Equality my ass. When the tables are turned you do the same thing. Perverts.

Hahaha

I
old hand
old hand
I
That video with the armor is a joke. Was that aluminum ? C'mon doing a back flip ?

Watch this guy here and try imagining the guy doing a back flip once he's done dressing ...

[/video]

But again, we are moving away from the topic

No, that was real plate armor. You will find several videos like this on youtube. It is a very common misconception that plate armor made you slow and you could hardly move in it which obviously was not the case.
Here a compilation:

(If someone knows from where the first snipped is from I would be grateful)

@Aishaddai
No, totally wrong. Decently trained swordman are the normal opponents people in plate armor were fighting and the armor gave them a huge advantage. They are in no means slower than a lighter armed swordman (being unarmored was basically suicide) and had a very small area of where their armor can be penetrated. Basically a sword is useless against plate armor.

Last edited by Ixal; 10/01/21 11:02 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
You all talk about sexism but instead of advocating to give Laezel some pants, which not a single person in this 8 page topic is against from what I can tell, you want to remove men pants?

I don't understand how hard is it to understand that some of us just want it to be the SAME, with panths, without pants, completely irrelevant, just make it the same for both sexes.

Its crazy. You all agree its a feminine style, but "you don't mind". Yeah because you aren't dudes.

I am a male if you must know.

You want dudes to look a certain way.

No, not a certain way, just the same, which way it is, masculine or feminine, bare or covered is irrelevant.

Sounds sexist to me. You have become your own enemy. How does it feel?

How in the fck is wanting armors to be same for both sexes sexist? lmao

Equality my ass. When the tables are turned you do the same thing. Perverts.

Yes, doing the SAME thing is equality. And how is that perverted?

Last edited by Kadajko; 10/01/21 11:02 PM.
I
old hand
old hand
I
As for sexual dimorphism, one of the two armors below was made for a woman. Can you tell which one?

[Linked Image from images1.bonhams.com]
[Linked Image from rct.uk]

enthusiast
enthusiast
one of the two armors below was made for a woman. Can you tell which one?

No, I can't tell, I am no armor expert, I can only guess it's the first one because it's narrower.

enthusiast
enthusiast
@Kadajko Oh wow you're serious. I think you already know the answer you just don't like it. Men and Women are not the same. They are not interchangeable. They are complimentary. They are different. Each with pro's and con's. They don't compete for the same things. Men are in line with strength, women are in line with finesse. Strength is not better than finesse and finesse is not better than strength. They are simply different. They can accomplish similar things in different ways. In some situations, strength is more deadly. In others, finesse is more deadly.

A man normally has enough masculinity and testosterone for 2 people. A woman normally has enough feminity and estrogen for 2 people. Together, guess what happens. I know certain groups have been trying to push other stuff. That's their business. You are free to believe what you want. I can verify this through biology, psychology, chemistry, history, medicine, genetics, religion, philosophy, spirituality, and hell even certain math subgenres and advanced physics. Though I'll probably get banned. Hell even typing this response will probably get me banned. lol oh well. It does not matter really.

Equality is a joke because how can two different things be equal. It's a power play for subjugation.

@Ixal No I'm right. Get your nose out of Europe's butt. Speed is only relative to your opponent. As much as Europe likes you to believe, you are not a walking invincible fortress. Plate armor has weaknesses. The joints and heat exhaustion. By the time the simpletons of those days realized this and tried to fix it guns were in production. The reason joints were a weakness was so you could actually have a range of motion. You could not protect those spots. You literally had to struggle to protect your armpits, the back of your knees, the tendons on your arm near your bicep, etc.

I
old hand
old hand
I
@Ixal No I'm right. Get your nose out of Europe's butt. Speed is only relative to your opponent. As much as Europe likes you to believe, you are not a walking invincible fortress. Plate armor has weaknesses. The joints and heat exhaustion. By the time the simpletons of those days realized this and tried to fix it guns were in production. The reason joints were a weakness was so you could actually have a range of motion. You could not protect those spots. You literally had to struggle to protect your armpits, the back of your knees, the tendons on your arm near your bicep, etc.

Please learn your history. Yes, joints were a weak point of plate armor, relative to the rest. They were still protected by mail, sometimes even plate, making them impervious to swords. You would have better luck with a dagger. A less armored combatant would have 0 advantages over someone in plate because 1. plate armor is not slow, especially comapred to other forms of armor and 2. it provides a gigantic advantage over people with lesser armor or even no armor (= suicide). The idea how the agile master swashbuckler having an advantage over combatants in plate armor is a hollywood myth (Syrio Forel from GoT for example). The same way it is a myth that plate armor meant you couldn't be agile what you seem to believe. See the videos, and no those are not aluminium replicas but real plate armor.
Plate armor was bulletproof by the way for quite a long time and it took more than a century of firearm development until plate armor could not keep up any more.

Last edited by Ixal; 11/01/21 12:11 AM.
veteran
veteran
I'm not a scholar of this stuff so I could be wrong but isn't it right that rapiers and the like developed as a response to armor? That it made sense to try and poke your way into the helmet or under the armpits than bash your way through the armor?

Same goes for flanges on maces? Designed to crush the breastplate so the knight couldn't breathe?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Men and Women are not the same. They are not interchangeable.

No shit? lol

They are complimentary. They are different.

In reproduction, yeah.

Each with pro's and con's.

Each individual has pro's and con's, regardless of their sex.

They don't compete for the same things.

Depends on what that thing is. If it's breast feeding a child then no, if it's something both can do, both can compete in that area.

Men are in line with strength, women are in line with finesse.

Depends on the individual, regardless of their sex.

A man normally has enough masculinity and testosterone for 2 people. A woman normally has enough feminity and estrogen for 2 people.

And sometimes men have less testosterone and more estrogen and women have more testosterone and less estrogen. But that is not an end all be all when it comes to developing certain characteristics and attitudes.

Together, guess what happens.

When mommy and daddy love each other very much? A baby.

I know certain groups have been trying to push other stuff. That's their business.

Yeah, I'm not a part of any group.

I can verify this through biology, psychology, chemistry, history, medicine, genetics, religion, philosophy, spirituality, and hell even certain math subgenres and advanced physics.

Science is the word you are looking for. Science is good yes, though you won't be able to debunk what I said here with science.

Hell even typing this response will probably get me banned.

Nah, you'll be fine.

Equality is a joke because how can two different things be equal.

There is a man who is a soldier and one who is a doctor and one who is a programmer, they are so different, mentally and physically, how can they be equal?

Last edited by Kadajko; 11/01/21 12:27 AM.
I
old hand
old hand
I
I'm not a scholar of this stuff so I could be wrong but isn't it right that rapiers and the like developed as a response to armor? That it made sense to try and poke your way into the helmet or under the armpits than bash your way through the armor?

Same goes for flanges on maces? Designed to crush the breastplate so the knight couldn't breathe?
Not the rapier, that was a weapon for civilians and not intended to fight against armor, but yes, plate armor prompted the development of weapons to defeat them, either by strong blunt force like with maces or by having a pointed weapon with a lot of leverage like halberds, polaxes and warhammers.
Also small weapons like daggers were effective once the enemy way immobilized. Swords were generally not effective against plate, being more a generalist weapon which lacked the features to defeat plate armor. Thus while glorified they became backup weapons.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard