Originally Posted by AvatarOfSHODAN
All the characters express some level of agitation for being dismissed to camp - they all want to be part of the active party. So I wouldn't say they are content.

It's very much implied that none of these characters can achieve their aims alone, including the tadpole and personal quests. If you don't recruit Lae'zel, she actually will attempt to meet the Gith on her own. And when you do recruit her, she's completely out of her element. When you enter the Grove she sometimes mentions that the player character stands out less than she does - I'd imagine her interrogation of Zorru would attract attention if she didn't have a party of Baldurians around her letting it happen.
As for Wyll, when you have a scene with him at the Goblin Camp, you realize he has a war of motivations that probably keeps him passive. Where your input helps steer him into action.

While I could go on about reasons in character why they'll sit at camp and wait, the easiest answer is probably this: all the characters lack an element of initiative as companions to allow the player character to assume the leader role de facto. Hence why they are also written to having a reason for sticking with the group when they aren't played as an Origin Character.
This is a little closer to what I'm thinking. But having a big camp still feels pretty weird. I could see maybe setting up a couple of tents in the grove and just having the other companions that aren't coming along with you waiting where you found them (or some other place that's more appropriate to the story).

Down the road, when there are more companions available and we have 10 characters sitting around waiting all the time, what's to stop them from all going off together and doing something. What's so special about me that anyone cares about my opinion? Why would Wyll wait on me in particular, rather than try to work with Gayle? Why would Lae'zel wait for me in particular, rather than grab whatever bruisers in the group seem the most useful and receptive?