Originally Posted by Seiryu Suta
Love how peeps just throw words around. Hyperbolic....about what? Since both of you used it, and 1 actually put a face to it. When I say masochistic, I meant causing yourself undue harm, for no other reason to do it to yourself. (Harm in this context means creating a laborious act, in order to feel what....more true to life? It seems to just suck joy away from the game for no real benefit.)

Masochism is pleasure from self harm. Assuming that self harm and laborious acts are synonymous with each other to try to prove a point is hyperbole.
You all keep naming games that didn't, that didn't do anything for creating a real fan base.
I don't know what basis there is to assert any of the games referenced don't have a real fan base. Do you have data on this?

Saying we might as well just reset spellslots after battle, is actually being hyperbolic. We're throwing the baby out with the bathwater again. Cooldowns provide in combat balancing. Rest resets don't do all that much to balance in combat, just length of combat. Like I said its a sledgehammer approach.
I said if we're going so far as adding in cooldowns for players don't have to click the mouse a few times, then we might as well not make them wait a few seconds. Unless you're thinking of extremely lengthy cooldowns. How long of a cooldown are you aspiring for?

Again I go back to the point resting in unrealistic timeframes is immersion breaking. This is something everyone seems to be able to see on the other end of the scope of not having to rest at all, which again would be your choice not to RP it yourself, but don't see how constantly doing it does. It also downgrades the whole meaningful experience that camping should be to a few clicks.
Most on the forums agree that rest can be improved. They are varying opinions on how to, but it's one thing most agree on.

The best way I can think of to explain this is that the rest mechanic as it stands having spell/skill availability tied to it is a vampire, sucking the enjoyment out of the things it touches.
You've made it clear that you don't like the rest mechanic numerous times.

As far as Fire Emblem goes, I've never heard of it, so I cant comment too much, but from some quick research, there isn't a "rest mechanic" just downtime in-between. The only "resting" thing I found on that quick search was to get a 50-100% XP boost to your students. Which is quite funny, as it is something I said I'd be in favor of for rest mechanics. Of course there should be downtime, would be nice to have some downtime features, like I mentioned in another post having a city management option for the goblin village and/or druid grove. Have it completely side quest, that got some very dismissive responses. Hey you don't have to play it, but I like having some other game features besides just punching people in the face, if I cant talk to them or buy something from them.
Thesaurus
Just as downtime and rest are synonyms, long rest and the time spent at the monastery are analogous game mechanics. Both are being used to restore resources, both are being using to tell more of the story between the characters, both are outside of combat, and both allow the player to do things at their leisure.

I didn't dismiss any of your ideas for that. I'm mostly referencing another RPG in the modern era. If we're going to talk about Baldur's Gate 3 being with the modern times, there are few games better than Fire Emblem: Three Houses to use as a point of reference.

Love how I've actually spent time trying to discuss this, and actually make a case, and point things out, and I'm the one that gets called dismissive, hyperbolic, flamebaity, etc. Yet, not a lot of the responses have actually offered up more than just those types of comments.

I'm just going to say that most of the forum members who have multiple posts in this thread have made an actual case to represent their thoughts and beliefs.