Originally Posted by Nyloth
Originally Posted by Innateagle
Honestly weird reading all this talk about the silent millions. Larian can't get 10k likes on twitter for the EA trailer, and the cinematic trailer on youtube got barely 1m views after almost 2 years. Seems like people like the shiny new thing - not even all that much - and not Larian.

Which is understandable, this is their first mainstream project, but alse makes it pretty hysterical that the one change they wouldn't have done otherwise, until now, (in the EA, not crowdfund gig) is making one of their characters smile more. Guess next one will be buff elf romance. If it isn't already there for a druid, that is.

That's about marketing. I'll be happy if they spend money on the game, not on marketing (like CD Projekt Red lol). This is how social networks and algorithms work. So all those likes don't really matter.

It would be very revealing if they had a lot of dislikes and few likes (hello blizzard), it would show a negative reaction from the community.

Not to mention, I think it has become extremely obvious between comic book sales taking a dump, and other media. That what is popular on Twitter is by no means some kind of accurate reflection on what the majority of the public thinks. The Majority of people, don't even bother with Twitter. It seems to be a useless tool, for people who have way to much time on their hands, with an overblown opinion of how important their thoughts matter lol. It cracks me up when I see the "Oh it is not doing well on Twitter, so of course it has to be bad" argument.

I have seen the negative effects on a game, and a population of the game, when the developers start to meet demands of the "majority" or "we the community" of forum posters as some reflection on what the true majority of players think, and totally bombed the population. I mean after they basically made a MMO a single player on the recommendation of "what the players want" from the forums, it in fact was not what people wanted, and the long term subscribers bailed leaving only the people that MAY sub for a month or two at a time to catch up on story. That is just one example.

Don't get me wrong, I believe feedback is essential, but trying to dictate who a developer is going to deliver a product to millions is just never going to be a serious transaction.