Originally Posted by marajango
Phew, imagine communication.

To be fair, the Solasta discord tends to be rather quiet. It's easy for a small developer working on their first game to keep an eye on what happens in there and pop in to answer questions, though they do have their own forums that is largely dedicated to bug reports at the moment (and they tend to respond to most threads in the weeks after a major patch). My thread about the scorching ray/hunter's mark bug in particular had a dev response along with the dev showing up on the discord afterwards to talk about it there too, since we were... Still kinda rule lawyering over there.

https://forums.solasta-game.com/for...-mark-is-rolling-up-to-12-damage-numbers

Otherwise, they sometimes post stuff like this in the discord. With a caption of One Australian Spider at a time.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/583281506739290133/801022104442109982/unknown.png

Yes, that is a critical hit on disadvantage. A couple of other people, including myself, responded by posting screenshots of ourselves crit failing on advantage from various other games, cRPG or tabletop or otherwise. In particular, I have THIS gem from my tabletop group.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...058/cae4d5c9fa0f4d4bcfec0abb8bad61ae.png

That's a triple crit failure on an advantage roll AND our archer attempting to reroll using Elven Accuracy. If there was ever a situation where loaded dice were needed, it was that.

Larian's discord in general tends to be a bit more chaotic in comparison, though thankfully most potential toxicity appears to have been purged from their discord channel and rather contained to other corners of the internet like Reddit and Steam forums. Most of the conversations in the Larian discord appear to revolve around lore speculation and role play in comparison, though there's a couple gameplay discussions revolving around companions (especially in regards to Shadowheart's stat spread).

The REAL chaos happens at the Owlcat/Pathfinder discord, but their discord is literally the only way those developers get to interact with the community, in comparison to Larian who has these forums as well.

---

Oh, Solasta once had a different bug in regards to one of their homebrew cantrips and the 'Ready Cantrip' action. Like I said, Solasta's implementation of ready actions is rather simple at the moment, you either select a melee, ranged, or a cantrip attack to hit the first enemy that moves within your attack range. The Cantrip part however doesn't let you choose which one to use. The homebrew cantrip in question is called Sparkle, and it works by allowing you to illuminate up to 3 environmental items such as torches or magical orbs as a bonus action. But it was programmed to make an attack roll in order to do so, so the 'Ready Cantrip' action incorrectly considered Sparkle to be an offensive spell, which led to players trying to throw non-damaging pretty lights in an enemy's face. The devs told everyone not to pick up the Sparkle cantrip until the bug was fixed.

Like I said, programming is hard.

On the topic of Sparkle, that leads to another interesting analysis for Solasta. That game has 4 light-based cantrips, two of them being homebrew.

1) The basic Light cantrip that we all know and love. Costs a standard action to cast, and its range is limited to a party member. You can easily prepare it outside of combat beforehand.
2) The Dancing Lights cantrip, which summons a glowing orb that requires concentration to maintain. In Solasta, the orb can be moved using your bonus action. In tabletop, you can summon up to 3 lights, but it's one giant orb in Solasta because the devs outright admitted that they couldn't program 3 separate controllable orbs at once (and the effort to try and remedy this was, quite frankly, not worth it due to their limited budget and that it was hardly a high priority issue).
3) The homebrew Sparkle cantrip, as mentioned earlier. It uses your bonus action to cast, but its range is restricted to the environment itself.
4) The homebrew Shine cantrip, which is a standard action that outright targets an enemy to illuminate. The enemy can make a dexterity save to avoid it, but IIRC it doesn't require concentration like Dancing Lights does.

They all have clear downsides and upsides, and preference is largely up to player choice.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 19/02/21 03:24 AM.