Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
One major difference between the BG3 and Solasta communities is how the Solasta community is generally focused on discussing the combat.

Well, as much as I like Solasta, it's because that's all it really has, although I must admit their homebrew world is growing on me.

Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
And yeah, I would love for Sharpshooter feat to be in the game (I want to play a Sharpshooter College of Valor Bard), but I suspect it won't be implemented as long as high ground advantage is a thing. Otherwise it'd be WAY too powerful when the -5 accuracy penalty may as well not even exist while you're on high ground.

At the moment, I'm just going with a flat +2 AC bonus, as I'm not sure the game's programming has a way to track exactly how much higher you are relative to an enemy attacking below you beyond a 'yes/no' interaction past a certain threshold like the high ground advantage/disadvantage system. A scaling bonus would be preferable, but I suspect the developers really wouldn't want to mess with that too much, judging from the crazy grenade throw distance that some of the goblins seem to be capable of.

I think your idea is an elegant compromise and solution to implement SS. The more I read the forums and the more I played the game, I realized how hard it actually is to get penalties in BG3. Almost everything is in your favor. At least your method provides an added reason to select SS beyond the -5/+10 portion of the feat. I also wouldn't raise the AC bonus past +2. More than that, high ground becomes effectively too important to give up and we're back to the same problem we have now.

I also thought the reason paladin wasn't implemented was due to how to handle smite and I see I'm not the only one. Without reactions, it's going to be a pain to program. It can't be a toggle since on a hit, not only do you decide to smite, but also what level spell you are willing to expend for smite. I suspect, in the end it will be a toggle with a preset choice which means a lot of micromanaging so you don't waste a valuable spell slot or just a base damage bonus per level. I think the latter will happen.