Originally Posted by TripleKill
I dont think even inventory management should require a bonus action.. it is just smth that makes gameplay more tedious, like u could just gave that potion or wep to that character before getting in combat. I dont get why people wanna sacrifice that much really..

Half of those given examples are not the way people claim, at least check 5th edition players handbook before giving a lecture about those stuff..yes u can eat during combat. Those are free actions in DnD btw not even bonus actions.
[Linked Image from linkpicture.com]

I argue that DnD is a cost/benefit analysis system, but I think there's a time/practicality factor into it as well. A common consideration is that each round is actually 6 seconds in real time, and a lot of the things in that list are things that might arguably fit into that time window. At the same time, few of these would even apply to a combat situation.

To eat food and immediately heal from it mid-combat is a whole other level of suspension of belief.

That said, there's also a reason I chose not to mention eating things in combat as that much of a problem, even though I would argue that it is purely from a logic standpoint. But from a practical gameplay standpoint, the current encounter design pretty much revolves around the ability to heal often. It's ultimately a concession based on the idea that most people would find the game too hard and are ultimately adapting to the system, because let's face it, there are few cRPGs like this that exist to begin with. I mean, it is cheap, but like, the only practical solution is to replace all of that food with potions, which is purely flavor and only several degrees less ridiculous.

Consider our first playthrough of D:OS2 or Pathfinder: Kingmaker, right? Whoever claims they didn't find either game that hard their first time through is straight up LYING.

I actually do have a priority list in terms of things I think should get addressed first. The most critical one is the high ground advantage/low ground disadvantage system, followed by bonus action disengage and finally backstab advantage. I am of the belief that every other thing mentioned in the OP is either directly or indirectly influenced by those three existing to begin with. Like the impact that even a single one of these has on the current gameplay design is several levels above food healing and barrelmancy combined.

The best part is, the high ground advantage/low ground disadvantage system is probably the easiest one to fix without really doing anything special to the engine, I'd think.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 21/02/21 09:29 PM.