Originally Posted by DragonSnooz
Now that the concept of proposals have been brought up.

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=758672#Post758672 What do you all think about this? In another thread dropping prone was brought up. Prone defined, so we're all on the same page.

Concept: Remove the benefit of disadvantage on incoming attacks with higher ground and add in a prone or dodge action.

I like the intent of the idea and here's where I'm going with this.
  • If high ground doesn't natively provide disadvantage on incoming attacks, it will be less of a "must-have" for ranged abilities.
  • Ranged attacks from below wouldn't be punished as much at the start of combat.
  • Dropping prone to have ranged attacks come at disadvantage is a strategy in DnD 5e.
  • Dropping prone would create a defensive option for the player/NPC that the game is currently lacking.

If the game requires that 1 action is spent to drop prone, then there will be more tactical depth. There would be more trade-offs as the player would have to consider if it is worth it to use an action to have disadvantage on incoming attacks and then spend half their movement to get up on the next turn.

Similar logic could be applied to adding a Dodge action. What are all your thoughts on this?

If there is no advantage to ranged for having the high ground (which I am against actually), then there should be a physical disadvantage to prone for melee. Meaning if your prone, you should have a similar disadvantage that applies if you under sleep and get hit by a melee strike. If you just laying on the ground prone, there should be a multiplier to being hit by a melee strike from lets say a battleaxe.