Originally Posted by Bercon
I highly doubt Larian wrote their own RNG. They probably use default provided by standard C libraries or some other off-the-shelf solution. We are not talking about secure crypto solution here, just giving random enough 1-20 numbers, anything decently competent is enough. When asked for actual data and statistical analysis, all we get is more "but I can see pattern!" anecdotes. Please provide real numbers, not feelings, otherwise I call bullshit on your claims.

I also doubt they wrote their own. I suspect that you're right and that they did, indeed, use a stock free RNG. Other games which rely on utilising d20 RNG for the entire core backbone of their game use sophisticated RNGs that generally aren't free to acquire, but which use entropy and are really quite complex, to deliver as near to true randomness as they can realistically attain. Larian's does not, possibly, as you say, because they might have just used a free-off-the-shelf one instead.

I'd prefer it if you'd not be as abrasive as you are being, when you're talking to someone who played the game, felt there was an issue, and then, in response to that, sat down and took large statistical samples to see if something was indeed going on, parsed them, and then reported her findings - amongst which was noting that her initial impression was, in fact, mistaken and that the standard deviation was correct and as expected... but then also noting that a different and unexpected pattern emerged as a result of the samples... while the only effort you're putting in to the discussion is to accuse that person of 'bullshit'. You could at least be polite about it, if you're not prepared to put in effort of your own.

Regardless, you wanted my figures, sure, here they are:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tdyBoQNS_vwEGZGBgFRQex7b-Ma8S6P7zvEMK5wh9n4/edit?usp=sharing

I laid out my old numbers, and took 200 fresh numbers for BG3 using a character that wasn't a halfling (my previous rolls for BG3 were with a halfling and that did impact things; these numbers are fresh).

The left columns are the raw numbers as rolled, in the order they were rolled, for each game.
Beside that, is a small table showing the average result, the median result, and the roll count for each result, for each game.

Below that, are four charts that show a plotting of the results if mapped in the order they were rolled.
The three lowest charts, NWN, NWN2 and S:CotM, are almost indistinguishable from each other. The top chart is BG3. You can see the wave pattern.

Any Questions?

Last edited by Niara; 23/02/21 04:55 AM.