Originally Posted by Niara
... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tdyBoQNS_vwEGZGBgFRQex7b-Ma8S6P7zvEMK5wh9n4/edit?usp=sharing

I laid out my old numbers, and took 200 fresh numbers for BG3 using a character that wasn't a halfling (my previous rolls for BG3 were with a halfling and that did impact things; these numbers are fresh).

The left columns are the raw numbers as rolled, in the order they were rolled, for each game.
Beside that, is a small table showing the average result, the median result, and the roll count for each result, for each game.

Below that, are four charts that show a plotting of the results if mapped in the order they were rolled.
The three lowest charts, NWN, NWN2 and S:CotM, are almost indistinguishable from each other. The top chart is BG3. You can see the wave pattern.
Huh, that is indeed a wave pattern.
That's really bad that Larian didn't catch this. Like, really bad. If this holds true for all rolls (and isn't just local weirdness in the rng that you happened to catch), this basically explains all of Larian's opinions that "normal rolling" is not fun. Because they weren't ever rolling normally, they were getting frequent streaks of multiple misses.

Based off of your data:
a roll of 1-5 is followed by an average roll of 9.3
a roll of 6-10 is followed by an average roll of 10.2
a roll of 11-15 is followed by an average roll of 11.3
a roll of 16-20 is followed by an average roll of 11.8

Disclaimer: all the above averages have large errors

Last edited by mrfuji3; 23/02/21 05:53 AM.