In my view, there are two main varieties of roleplaying, social / life / dating sims with self-insert characters such as Animal Crossing & The Sims for parasocial roleplaying and choice and consequence games such as The Witcher, Dragon Age and Telltale games for story roleplaying. It's the latter that I'm more enthusiastic about, but squeezing in some of the former is nice too. It's nice to be able to customise your appearance and form parasocial relationships with the characters as you navigate the story, and it's also nice when the social relationships also impact the narrative.

(RPG is often also used to refer to games with leveling mechanics but screw that definition.)

It's really only in the context of a game with strong social sim elements that I accept the argument that there is a benefit to having the player-insert character (if any) unvoiced because the social simulation itself would create a sense of personality that the voice acting would struggle to keep up with. Like, it's hard to imagine that The Sims would be improved with proper voice acting. That is to say, it would be better with voice acting, but only if the voice acting could capture the nuance implied by the simulation, which would be a LOT to ask.

However, in a C&C game, it's very helpful to telling a story if the characters have compelling personalities. If you aren't doing a good job of creating a sense of personality via the social sim elements, then voice acting should only add to the experience. I really think it helps a story when you can feel that your avatar is actually invested in it. I can't imagine any way The Witcher 3 would have been a better game if Geralt were instead a Blank Slate with no personality.

I would certainly argue that because Baldur's Gate has always been very story-driven that it makes much more sense for it to lean hard into the C&C genre. That doesn't mean it can't also become more of a social sim, but I don't think that this should come at the expense of its storytelling.