Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Yeah, they've smoothed out the story regarding the Tadpole quite a bit. Halsin now gives you info on your condition and next steps far earlier (which is much better narratively IMO - makes that story beat feel much more natural, and you feel like you're being spun around less).

veteran
veteran
I didn't get Gale's weave scene on my patch 4 playthrough. I have never gotten it in any of my 3 playthroughs. frown

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
I noticed that Halsin and Nettie have much more dialogue and information to share about their tadpole investigations, that was great.

This is a pretty huge change too. Nettie's dialogue especially does wonders to resolve the gameplay vs story conflict concerning using long rests while infected with the tadpole. Players now learn as early as their first Grove visit that they aren't in immediate danger and can use the resting system without worrying about losing the game.

There's also just all around a LOT of new dialogue for druids in the Grove. I loved it. Having a debate over the druidic teachings of Silvanus with Kagha to convince her she is wrong was very satisfying. Not to mention that the special druid knowledge checks explain SO MUCH about the Rite of Thorns and points you in the direction of investigating Kagha and the Shadow Druids. I've never been naturally inclined to look into it on previous characters because you're not really told that this is worth further investigation. Makes a lot of sense than you as a druid would be able to tell something is up.

old hand
old hand
1) Water + Shocking Grasp got nerfed, or water + lightning in general. From my observations, the electricity now fades away in real time.

2) Alfira's alcove is a lot more decorated now. She used to just sit on a rock, now there's a proper tent and everything.

3) Harpies no longer pelt you with ranged attacks from the looks of it. They actually jump over to melee my characters instead of camping on that island of theirs. Either that, or I started the fight with most of my characters on high ground so they didn't even try ranged options. Whenever they were at range they just tried to spam Luring Song instead.

4) Some of the defenders upon arriving at the Grove at the first time now appear to have a larger list of spells.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 01/03/21 08:31 AM.
veteran
veteran
You should try another gameplay ...
Book of dead gods worked for me, maybe that was only local bug? O_o

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
BeeBee #761227 01/03/21 09:03 AM
veteran
veteran
I don't want to sound like I'm bragging, but I guess I can't help it. :-/
Personally, I have approached all enounters with the least risk (for example, with Auntie Ethel, I killed both redcaps and masks before the clash) ... but so far no surface battle posed a greater threat.
The Githyanki patrol was a little tougher than the others ... but they still managed to kill only one of the four characters.

I'm going to Underdark now, so I wonder what the ladies will look like.
(This last sentence was created by a google translator just because I made a typo in the word "Tam" (There) and instead wrote "Dam" (Ladies) ... but I love the wording, so I'll leave it as it is. laugh)

BeeBee #761238 01/03/21 09:55 AM
veteran
veteran
I'm not that far into my new game, but the meogits on the ship now use aoe a lot and in the cave, where you can save the gnome druid, there are those watcher statues in the beginning of the Dungeon. First time, I entered that cave, my whole party got wiped, since it took me too long to figure out, where the save spots are. Now that I know, where the Watchers are, I just destroy them with arrows from afar.
Haven't gone to auntie Ethel yet, the fights in the blighted village seem unchanged, the spiders too.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
I don't know if it qualifies but when casting any spell with an upcast or selection, the spell description window is covering that smaller spell selection and also the top line of the hotbar. It takes a good second to disappear.

The selection window always appears even if there is only 1 level left, but if you don't click something from the selection window it will target a normal attack. Happened more than a few times to me.

The spell description box appears after cursor over, but it would be nice if that upcasting/spell-type selection bar would be foregrounded when you actually click the icon. Or just raise the spell description box so both are visible at the same time. Transparencies for those bars would also help. Not sure why they need to be blacked out really. Maybe that helps with the read, but even like 50% transparency would be nice with multiple windows opening it once if they're going to overlay like that.

In general I just wish I could move things around, so I could place the UI elements where its most comfortable, or for the windows I interact with constantly to be able to move those around. Also sometimes it I find myself wanting to open the inventory or char sheet while still viewing the character or scene. I wish I could move those around easily like other games with a grid overlay. I feel like a lot of nice advancements were made in the MOOs with stuff like that, and it would be cool to see some stuff like that here. Its also nice to be able to quickly hide all the UI elements, so we can try to navigate around just based on the visual cues and stuff presented in game instead of the heads up display all the time

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Icelyn
I didn't get Gale's weave scene on my patch 4 playthrough. I have never gotten it in any of my 3 playthroughs. frown

I got it on my first run, but I started a second run and it was suddenly nigh-impossible to trigger any camp scenes, so I eventually gave up. Yay Early Access.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by Ghost King
I can confirm that so far as I have played I haven't gotten all the camp scenes as of yet. Didn't get the Gale mirror image scene at the very least. However, after Astarion feeds on you, you do get the scene with the camp the next day as it was intended. So kind of better, but it still needs work.
I'm having this too; I've had no camp scenes with anyone, beyond the ones that are scripted to follow after specific events (ie, Asterion and Gale's 'reveals')

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by fylimar
Now that I know, where the Watchers are, I just destroy them with arrows from afar.
I wonder if you can use them to your advantage?
When you are sneaking, they ignore you ... but goblins never sneak. >:]

#761288 01/03/21 01:56 PM
P
apprentice
apprentice
P
So i waited a bit before giving this game a go. Im an old school pc gamer who remembers playing baldurs gate when it first came out, so i was a bit worried about larian handling this game. I liked divinity original sin for its tactics and i loved baldurs gate for its story. I was concerned about how well they would mix.

After about 50hrs invested into this game..here is some things i loved and some things that bugged me.

First, the bad

The first that bugged me...im sure we can all agree....is the damned camera. My characters have died more out of combat then in combat, because of the dang camera getting stuck, and not being able to get it reoriented, then the help action or spell selected fast enough.

Which ties into the next issue. The ui. What a freaking mess. It needs simplified.

The jump and shove mechanics. Hate it. Not the concept, but its implementation. In dnd, (and real life for that matter) you cant jump farther then you can walk. And its also tied to acrobatics skill (which larian didnt implement). And it seems the enemies get freaking super powers on this one. Minotaurs jumping 50ft straight up, landing for aoe, then charging, and melee attacking afterwards? They cant do this in dnd and even then their charge is a limited distance in a straight line only.
Solution to this issue:. Tie your shove and jumb ability to an athletics check plus strength bonus and dex bonus. That way you have to be deeply invested for this to work well.

This ties into something that is not necessarily a problem, but just something id like to see. The help action. Since we seem to be redoing how skills work, why not tie the effectiveness of stabilizing a downed companion to your medicine skill? As in they are revived with more hp if you have high medicine skill. Just a thought.

Wizards shouldn't be able to learn cantrips from scrolls. Not sure if this is a bug, but i makes wizards more powerful then they should be.

Rogues are missing expertise and some other goodies that make them...well...rogues. right now rangers seem to be able to be better rogues then rogues.

Last peeve..the companions

This is mostly preference but...i hate most of them.

shadowheart, i try to like her, but her writing is all over the place so her character breaks down and just ends up being annoying.

Asterion: hate him. I kill him first chance i get if i bother to get him at all.

Laizel:. Really... really wanted to like this character. But her writing is pretty one dimensional. Atleast my experience with her so far.

Gale: awesome character. His story is intresting, and his character comes off one way, but then grows. Well written.

Wyll: really like this character. Warlock done right. Good job larian

Encounters:. Encounters are pretty well done early on, but later they break down terribly. Constantly getting pitted against overwhelming groups of enemies that can multi attack, when you at best can get maybe 5 attacks from your party? It forces you to cheese to win. Its not impossible, but its definitely not dnd. Cant wait to see these better balanced later. (Fuck those minotaurs lol)

Resting: because of how you are managing resting, you are trivializing classes that benifit from being good to go after short rest. Warlock and circle of the land druid come to mind. There needs to be some risk when traveling back to camp and resting. This will force you to manage resources better and aid you in balancing encounters.

Initiative:. Maybe im dumb, but im having a heck of a time figuring out what is going on. I keep getting having characters getting skipped for turns. Ive had encounters where i have surprised the enemy. I get my attacks in. Then the enemy attacks, then only one of my characters goes, then enemies all attack again. Then the same character gets to go again. Then i realize that multiple characters can go on the same turn, but they are not auto switching when the first character is done. Took me awile to catch on to this. I understand this hybridization of party turns, and initiative rolls speeds combat up, but it is crazy confusing to keep track off. We either need to optimize this better, or pick one or the other. Im really not sure how to fix this one.

Ok, now that im done bitching, the good

Larian, the story is awesome. Doing a great job with main story and even minor npc character development. Well done! Id say overall, your character development is standing up better then original baldur's gate game's. Thats high praise from me, since when you announced this game, i was 100% certain that this would be the part you guys failed at.

Graphics and optimization...damn good job. Looks great. Butter smooth on my end even at 4k with a gtx 1080

Love the changes to ranger. Really makes this class shine.

Love the addition of druid. Looking forward to other classes (paladin, and artificer are high on my list)

Despite the earlier complaints...i do love that out of the box thinking is possible in this game and rewarded..you just need to balance it better.

Even though im pretty serious dnd player, and baldur's gate fan...im totally cool with larian tweeking the rules to better implement dnd ruleset into a crpg setting. I also understand that this is an early access title. So despite my complaints, i still think that larian is doing a great job. 5e is super complex to implement in this manner, and im looking forward to seeing it balance out.

These are just my thoughts and opinions. Looking forward to see what others have to say about the game

BeeBee #761293 01/03/21 02:06 PM
old hand
old hand
The AI certainly go for the Backstab a lot more often this patch

Optimistically Apocalyptic
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by SaurianDruid
There's also just all around a LOT of new dialogue for druids in the Grove. I loved it.

Me too. Playing as a druid was very satisfying, I ended up more attached to that PC than any of the others I've rolled. Kudos to Larian.

BeeBee #761316 01/03/21 03:34 PM
A
A
Anders killed a full-health level 3 Lae'zel in one hit, which I never had happen in patch 3 ... and yes, noted the extra Guardians in the cave (really, Larian? All that work for a mediocre staff that's outclassed by the spear you should already have and that you can just get by taking a few points of fire damage?). Otherwise, have not noticed too much of a rise in difficulty.

Niara #761382 01/03/21 05:29 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Niara
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
1. Books! The new books are good. We get a primmer on the weave, a treatise on soul coins and some more details on the waar between Gith and the mind flayers. Getting closer to the BG experience where you could get learn Forgotten Realms lore from libraries. (but Larian, make the books a bit longer please)

2. Ground triggers for conversations are near quick travel gates. Gives more frequent banters and the banters make more sense. Astarian is now talking about goblins in the goblin camp and not in the underdark.

3. New dialogues. I liked having a theology battle with Khorga. Ahh, but Silvanus also says . . . Nice job, priests of the same religion should try and settle disagreements by making references to their sacred texts.

Here's my question...

Why were NONE of these points in the actual patch notes... when they spent note space scrabbling for things to say and talked about fixing goblins peeing three times?

Good question

In one of the early promos Larian featured the head writer and she impressed me. I think they should bring her back to talk about the story and let the boys who want to laugh about how they are breaking the rules sit one out.

dwig #761408 01/03/21 06:33 PM
veteran
veteran

- flaming sphere is buggy. The RNG doens't work at all (never miss).
- flaming sphere can kill anyone on the map alone (tedious but possible, give the ennemies possibilities to fight it)
- the vision of ennemies is really bad. It'se not related to patch 4 but there are ridiculous situations where you are hidden 10m in front of a hostile group.
- the new surface spells that deals damages while walking on it (don't know the EN name - not entangle, the lvl 2 spells). The AI is completely stupid and my party died more than once crossing this surface after combats.
- not related to patch 4 but it's really bad that at the door of the goblin temple, goblins attack if you try to enter after failing your rolls. But if you find another way to enter just no one care you're inside. They should attack, please give us the opportunity to solve these quests with furtivity (save Halsin and kill the leader).
- you can't talk to the owlbear using wild shape. It works with the spell. That's a bit strange.
- the druid is way too interresting in group just because he can talk to animals for free. Please add an item like the one that gives "speak with the dead" to have free "speak with the animals". It's boring to talk with animals using spellslot and it will be even more when resting will be fixed. I don't think it's fair if you HAVE to have a druid to enjoy this mechanic. Everyone doens't plan to play more than once and it would be very sad not to enjoy this huge part of the game if you don't have a druid in your group.
- I didn't kill the mindflayer but the mindflayer show my face and tell Dror Ratzlin I killed him...
- the goblin's treasure is ridiculous. Something like 200 gold. I have more golds after killing a few goblins than this whole "army". The treasure at the end of a dungeon is supposed to be very interresting. Here it's a lot of golden chests with nothing inside them...

Last edited by Maximuuus; 01/03/21 08:01 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

- flaming sphere is buggy. The RNG doens't work at all (never miss).
I think it's the prediction in the UI that's bugged. Flaming Sphere is supposed to damage the enemy the same way shatter does, it's confusing because the UI tells the player they have a 40% to hit.

the prediction in the UI is bugged for other attacks/spells in the game at the moment.

Last edited by DragonSnooz; 01/03/21 06:39 PM.
dwig #761416 01/03/21 06:51 PM
G
addict
addict
G
Moon Druid sucks compared to Land. The wild shapes are nerfed.

Why do I get a "Polar Bear" with 30 HP but Halsin still has multiattack and a brown bear with more HP?

gaymer #761499 02/03/21 12:19 AM
JoB Offline
Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by gaymer
Moon Druid sucks compared to Land. The wild shapes are nerfed.

Why do I get a "Polar Bear" with 30 HP but Halsin still has multiattack and a brown bear with more HP?
There's also the druid at the entrance to the grove. Maggran, I believe his name is. The one who turns into a bear. It says his hit points are 19 instead of 30.

Consistency with this kind of stuff is important. It's nice to feel like the rest of the world is operating under the same umbrella of rules.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard